Barfknecht: Buy your tickets for Indy; start planning the parades

Why do we have to do this thing where we paint Bo as a complete idiot. Remember the good times please. The kick and pick, that first bowl win vs Clemson, regular season games like Missouri, Washington, and KState and the hail Mary ... Just to name a few. Bo had his flaws. He was let go when it got to the point that he was completely stuck and could go no further in his progress towards a championship. End of story. We can talk about the good history, but the bad, let's just give that up. It's too damn depressing.

And we should only remember Callahan for is North title and the Michigan bowl win. But not his causing us to miss a bowl game in 2 of his 4 seasons or 70-10 or "f'n hillbillies" or "crusty old f".

And we should only remember Solich for him winning the Big 12 in 99. But not for 62-36 or 7-7.

Gotcha.

The sarcasm is strong in this one.

I will go ahead and remember the Callahan win over Michigan, it was fun, and I will remember the conference title and Fiesta Bowl win by Solich, those were even better. If you want to sit around crying in your beer and reviewing the tape of Callahan 2004 vs. T Tech and Solich 2001 vs. Colorado, be my guest.

I'm all for moving forward.

But if we all agree that we want something different for Nebraska football, somebody is going to have to point out the difference.

As in "what are we doing now that we weren't doing?"

At which point it's impossible not to reference Bo Pelini.

The knives don't have to come out every time, but it's always gonna be pointed.

I know it seems like certain journalists had it in for Pelini, and made things worse than they were. But in similar situations, when the truth comes out later, you often find out the beat reporters were being diplomatic to protect their access. They never told you the bad sh#t that really went down -- not in a family newspaper. You gotta read between the lines. The un-edited Bo supports the theory that things were worse than we believed. We don't have to wallow in it, but I think it's the stuff you need to know if you want to move forward.

• Fire 1

I know it seems like certain journalists had it in for Pelini, and made things worse than they were. But in similar situations, when the truth comes out later, you often find out the beat reporters were being diplomatic to protect their access. They never told you the bad sh#t that really went down -- not in a family newspaper. You gotta read between the lines. The un-edited Bo supports the theory that things were worse than we believed. We don't have to wallow in it, but I think it's the stuff you need to know if you want to move forward.

Much of the "stuff that went down" had to do with Pelini believing he was protecting his players (or having their backs if you will) versus a journalist wanting the story........one incident in particular a few years ago. Then there's the separate issue of the administration and their shenanigans.......Perlman, Osborne and Eichorst. In recent weeks, Eichorst has been part of some protection decisions of Riley with the limiting of coach access once the season starts.....and the whole Big Red Breakfast deal.

The OWH breaking the news of the fisher injury before bo could talk to the parents had a lot to do wih initiating the contention. Also, chatelain's "or else" statement with barfy backing him up before feeling the pressure of the public and backing off. The university vastly cutting media/speaking engagements for the coaches, just a few examples. I think bo had reason to be upset, but he obviously doesn't know how to handle it, and caused a lot of drama himself. Barfy might have good points himself, but the OWH has just as much a hard time admitting their mistakes as the guy they're pointing fingers at.

• Fire 1

Much of the "stuff that went down" had to do with Pelini believing he was protecting his players (or having their backs if you will) versus a journalist wanting the story........one incident in particular a few years ago. Then there's the separate issue of the administration and their shenanigans.......Perlman, Osborne and Eichorst. In recent weeks, Eichorst has been part of some protection decisions of Riley with the limiting of coach access once the season starts.....and the whole Big Red Breakfast deal.

If only we could have un-filtered testimony of how Bo Pelini really felt about his relationship with the fans, the media and the state of Nebraska itself, we might know what it would be like to deal with him on a daily basis.

Oh. Wait.

• Fire 2

Some still blaming losses for Bo's departure. Amazing.

Don't let your personal bias could the reality of college athletics.

Teams will put up with quite alot if you bring in the wins. If he had gone 3-0 or 2-1 in those Conference title games, he's very likely still the head coach.

Agreed. And if he wasn't such a belligerent a-hole, 9 wins might have been enough to hang his hat on.

Oh well.

• Fire 2

Teams will put up with quite alot if you bring in the wins. If he had gone 3-0 or 2-1 in those Conference title games, he's very likely still the head coach.

Agreed. And if he wasn't such a belligerent a-hole, 9 wins might have been enough to hang his hat on.

Oh well.

When the athletic director (Bo's boss) is hired, and immediately hands out a book called "The Energy Bus", most employees take this as a sign that negativity and toxicity is not a trait the boss particularly cares for.

Seems Bo never made the connection.

Am I surprised he didn't figure it out? Not at all.

Nebraska deserves better. We have every resource to be better. We will be better.

Oh well.

Yup.

If only we could have un-filtered testimony of how Bo Pelini really felt about his relationship with the fans, the media and the state of Nebraska itself, we might know what it would be like to deal with him on a daily basis.

Oh. Wait.

Yes....the audio.....old news and my name isn't Tom Shatel or Dirk Chatelain, so I shrugged both shoulders about the whole thing.

Oh. Wait.

Yes....the audio.....old news and my name isn't Tom Shatel or Dirk Chatelain, so I shrugged both shoulders about the whole thing.

What about multiple other reporters? Hows about the morning I was listening to Sharp and Benning and they were talking about something, and one said "you talking about the time he called me?" and the other says "no. I mean the time he called me". Those two made it public knowledge at that moment that Bo would call guys and rip ass about things they would say on a damn radio show. They then discussed instances of Bo calling to rip ass on other reporters as well. And for someone like Benning who strongly supports the program in such a way that he tries not to pub any negativity of it, you just feel such a weight lifted off of him to be able to air out this laundry. And it was laughable to me. As a coach, Bo let all the outside sh#t into the lockerroom. No wonder the team struggled and was mentally soft.

So no. It wasnt just the OWH/Dirk and Shatel. I cant stand Dirk either.

• Fire 1

Oh. Wait.

What about multiple other reporters? Hows about the morning I was listening to Sharp and Benning and they were talking about something, and one said "you talking about the time he called me?" and the other says "no. I mean the time he called me". Those two made it public knowledge at that moment that Bo would call guys and rip ass about things they would say on a damn radio show. They then discussed instances of Bo calling to rip ass on other reporters as well. And for someone like Benning who strongly supports the program in such a way that he tries not to pub any negativity of it, you just feel such a weight lifted off of him to be able to air out this laundry. And it was laughable to me. As a coach, Bo let all the outside sh#t into the lockerroom. No wonder the team struggled and was mentally soft.

So no. It wasnt just the OWH/Dirk and Shatel. I cant stand Dirk either.

I used Shatel and Chatelain in my example because they were the two Pelini was hot about regarding the Ohio State postgame audio. I understand some people care about the interaction between the head football coach at DONU and the media. I'm not one of those people who really cares about those interactions.

It's pretty emblematic of how he treated everyone around him, especially anyone who questioned him. Shrugging only goes so far.

It's your impression. Many share it, I'm sure. But to make a blanket statement like that when he had supporters that included his former athletic director and a few staff members following him to his new gig may mean it's not as "emblematic" as you'd like it to be.

Oh. Wait.

"It took everything in my power to not say, 'f#*k you, fans. f#*k all of you.' f#*k 'em."

"Our crowd. What a bunch of f'ing fair-weather f'ing—they can all kiss my ass out the f'ing door. 'Cause the day is f'ing coming now. We'll see what they can do when I'm f'ing gone. I'm so f'ing pissed off."

• Fire 2