Looks like the strength coach is pushing the players hard

It seems like the players really like the conditioning program. I am really interested to see if there will be any noticeable difference to their play on the field, especially coming from the lines.

It will be interesting to see.

However, don't expect to all of a sudden to see our lines dominating physically like the 80s. That just aint going to happen again. Nobodies does that anymore due to the fact that everyone now has good strength and conditioning programs.

No matter how good our O line gets, there will be times they get beat and it will look like they are weak and out of shape. That's what happens when to big fat strong guys go up against each other.

Good read in that it actually gives a few specifics on what is different between the staff's. It's not just guys claiming to be so much better.

It does give two specifics: no preset weight limits and more Olympic lifting.

Thank god. IMO, any S&C program should be based on squats, deadlift, bench and cleans (from the floor, mind you. not from a hang).

It doesn't have to be complex, but it should be hard.

This is a good post, but the interview that topic linked to was all Dobson quotes. We have quotes from players saying they have had big increases in their lifts. Although, maybe those would have happened anyway seeing as they're 20 year olds.

That's only because I was too lazy to dig through more posts and just linked the first one I found. There are stories from Dobson's first year with players saying nearly the same things. It's a typical staff transition offseason story.

I'm not passing info along it was in the ljs.http://m.journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/huskers-like-early-results-under-new-strength-coach-philipp/article_c85a8647-1460-5953-8a8e-275ed936e144.html?mobile_touch=true

I will not even lower myself to the level of talking about injuries and saying Dobson wasn't hands on. Prove it or just don't talk about it imo. As far ad the article he says more mobility work and less power emphasis which translates to.me more cross fit bullsh#t less results from proven power lifting techniques . just my opinion. I would like them to say " wow my squat had went up 30 lbs" not "we ran more" imo

What good is strength if you can't get to your target? You need a balance of mobility as well in the world of sports. I see nothing wrong with doing more mobility work. 100% raw power will win you lifter of the year. Won't make you a great football player. Gerry needs his hip flexibility fixed. Improving fluidity etc will in turn allow better range of motion while lifting etc etc.

Hedley please. Powerlifting has more in common with football that track and field does. Count if anything takes you 3 hours that would be what I consider least optimal.

You need a mix amigo. I know you just want to have big bulky strongman that can't move playing football but that isn't how it works

No doubt, you do need both strength training and sport specific training when you're training for a sport.

You need to actually play the sport and do drills that are more specific. However, IMO the focus of your training should always based in strength.

Remember, a bigger engine doesn't slow the car down ;) It's never bad to be stronger.

I'm saying stronger, mind you. Not necessarily big and fat. Sure stronger people are usually bigger, but again the whole car and engine analogy...

This is a good post, but the interview that topic linked to was all Dobson quotes. We have quotes from players saying they have had big increases in their lifts. Although, maybe those would have happened anyway seeing as they're 20 year olds.

You know, that's a great point. If these kids are exposed to any program that's half right they'll make gains.. Their hormonal milieu is ripe for it.

You know, that's a great point. If these kids are exposed to any program that's half right they'll make gains.. Their hormonal milieu is ripe for it.

I don't know whether to roll my eyes or be turned on.

• Fire 2

There are lots of theories on lifting. We have seen many of them over the last 10-15 years go through Nebraska. Some people claim simple lifts like bench, squats, power cleans....etc is what you need to key on.

I think in the 80s Nebraska started actually designing lifting stations that resembled actual moves football players made. Some claimed that was a huge development. I even think our HS uses some of those types of machines now and we are known for having one of the nicest HS weight rooms in the state.

The part I like that has been mentioned is that the players were able to give input on how much they were ready to lift. I'm not a big lifter but I would think that would be much more advantageous than a coach simply calculating it and giving you a sheet of paper telling you how much you are supposed to lift. Obviously, there would need to be good supervision to make sure some meat head isn't doing something he shouldn't. But, the personal input is important.

A drastic change in how you lift is usually going to result in gains. Your body becomes used to lifts when you're doing the same workouts over and over.

The exact same workouts, yes. Not necessarily the same movements. This is where programming is important.

I don't know whether to roll my eyes or be turned on.

It's true. It's science man, science.