Looks like the strength coach is pushing the players hard

Eh I disagree. Until I have side by side year to year comparisons I can't really say they have become bigger faster or stronger. Just my opinion. Gbr93 google linear progression and how to add serious muscle and get back to be. It will not include running more. Hate to hurt your feelings.

That's just it. If you would have looked and paid attention to what the players have even said. A metabolic circuit includes zero running. What it does is put every lift on a certain time schedule. For example, you have a certain amount of time, say 80 minutes to complete all of your reps and sets. Squat, bench, deadlift, rows, curls, pull downs, what ever lifts you want to incorporate are all on a schedule. You finish your set in 20 seconds instead of 30, then you get a little longer to rest before your next set. However, you take a minute then you have to go straight into your next set. It forces your body to perform under extreme conditions. That's why they were saying they were so tired, not because they were running, but because their lifts, sets, and reps, we're so fast-paced you can't catch your breath.
You sure we weren't just jogging on the treadmill like lux said?
No I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I would bet my life against it. No way we would waste lifting time to jog on the treadmill. Players can do that on their own, or during scheduled conditioning workouts.

Hedley please. Powerlifting has more in common with football that track and field does. Count if anything takes you 3 hours that would be what I consider least optimal.

You need a mix amigo. I know you just want to have big bulky strongman that can't move playing football but that isn't how it works

Troof.

There are a lot of explosive/power muscle groups that get worked with high intensity cardio type exercises. From day 1 Phillip said most lifts guys will be doing will be from a standing position. I get it bench is important, but it's better to incorporate bench press movements while you're standing and moving. I don't think we want our men laying down and bench pressing the other team.

And, sh#t a lineman doing lunches and squats is actually lifting several hundred lbs of his body weight - he's just doing it in fast motion.

Might need to cut back on those lunches. Just sayin . . .

3060434.JPG

• Fire 2

Please explain a bench press alternative that is more optimal than the bench itself Mr "we don't want our guys on their backs". As far as the metabolic routine or whatever you're talking about. Sounds just as ridiculous to me as cross fit. How do you expect kids to lift heavy weights safely while trying to move through it as fast as possible? Pshhh

Please explain a bench press alternative that is more optimal than the bench itself Mr "we don't want our guys on their backs". As far as the metabolic routine or whatever you're talking about. Sounds just as ridiculous to me as cross fit. How do you expect kids to lift heavy weights safely while trying to move through it as fast as possible? Pshhh

You should just stop. Crossfit has it's own merits as do circuits and training purely for strength.

For someone that supposedly knows about powerlifting and such, you don't know much. Go read articles from Dave Tate, Jim Wendler, Mark Bell and others that are known kings in the powerlifting kingdom and they all say that doing different variations of speed on a lift will increase strength. When someone does speed benching, they will use try and get X reps in X seconds. Sometimes they use short range bench(towel bench) when doing these lifts, same goes for squats, hang cleans, snatches and deads.

Here is a good article you should read. https://www.t-nation.com/training/build-explosive-speed

For someone that supposedly knows about powerlifting and such, you don't know much. Go read articles from Dave Tate, Jim Wendler, Mark Bell and others that are known kings in the powerlifting kingdom and they all say that doing different variations of speed on a lift will increase strength. When someone does speed benching, they will use try and get X reps in X seconds. Sometimes they use short range bench(towel bench) when doing these lifts, same goes for squats, hang cleans, snatches and deads.

Man I love this place!

With strict form while completely exhausting your body? This isn't an everyday type of workout. It is something you can throw in to create complete muscle confusion. You and I both know muscle confusion is a wonderful thing. Lux take your workout for the day and instead of taking extended rest between sets knock out all of it with little to no rest and experience a complete asskicking. Again don't do it everyday but throw it in And see what you think. There is tons of research behind it and the affect it has on your body.

Wow thanks stumpy you should email the tnation site over to mark. Then he can become as educated as yourself on the topic.

Muscle confusion? Why don't they just pop in the p90x dvd.

I stand by my shot at crossfit. It merits one type of person and that's physical therapists.

A player mentioned Dobson was more powerlifting and strength while Philip is more high rep cardio bs. Which if true IMO IMO would be the worst case scenario decision. Running the guys this hard I see no value in it especially this early. IMO they need to be eating like hogs and lifting as heavy as possible. Squats bench cleans and presses. Conditioning can come closer to fall.

Actually you have it backwards. You want to do more running and aerobic exercise in the offseason and cut down the running conditioning in the fall. Heavy lifting during the season helps maintain weight, relieve soreness, and keep the fast twitch muscles alive during a grueling season.

• Fire 1

In order to lift well and most of all apply power, you need good flexibility. And not touch your toes flexibility...extensor, hip flexor, spinal flexibility. Put that in place now, maintain it and it's amazing how much more powerful and athletic you can become. Good flexibility lead to strong core leads to good posture = solid technique. Solid technique backed with some power lifting this summer = pipeline

You talkin to me? Sounds like you love guys on their backs...

Decrease the weights and focus on form and reps. Pshh.