There are even more dire issues that haven't been brought to the public's attention yet

If Gregory was indeed using marijuana to cope with anxiety issues, then it's probably something related to the source of his anxiety.

Which could be lots of stuff.

The NFL doesn't need anything definitive, just that Randy Gregory has issues.

There is some precedent for guys with anxiety issues playing some pretty great football.

Nurays-Favorite-Summer-Movies-The-Waterb

• Fire 1

Wow, great breakdown. I didn't know Gregory was being used conservatively on that percentage of plays, but it isn't surprising given the overall things Bo's defense wanted to do. This guy is really, really high on Gregory's run stopping. I like the film breakdown of the Michigan State game at the end. And it's hard not to get pumped.

73% of the time, Gregory is being used to contain the run.

73% of the time, I could drive my lawnmower to work. It'll get me there, but it's not best designed for commuting, and I have a better tool for that job.

Sheesh.

exactly.

And using him in such manner didnt work worth a damn anyway.

73% of the time, I could drive my lawnmower to work. It'll get me there, but it's not best designed for commuting, and I have a better tool for that job.

Sheesh.

Nebraska had a better run stopping DE than Gregory on the roster last year? Yeah, I don't think so.

Sheesh.

Nebraska had a better run stopping DE than Gregory on the roster last year? Yeah, I don't think so.

melvin Gordon just trotted around the end for another TD.

Minnys former-te-statue-qb just galloped around the end for 20 more.

Sheesh.

melvin Gordon just trotted around the end for another TD.

Minnys former-te-statue-qb just galloped around the end for 20 more.

... That's the point exactly. Most of Gordon's TD runs and all of Minny's QB runs were to McMullen's side, the only DE who would even be in the running for best run stopping DE besides Gregory on the roster last year. Thanks for proving my point brethren

There is no way anybody on defense should be judged harshly from the last few years as far as run stopping. There were major issues in the scheme as far as stopping the run and the players are forced to play that scheme. Could have some done better? Sure, but, I blame the scheme much more than I blame any player.

• Fire 2

There is no way anybody on defense should be judged harshly from the last few years as far as run stopping. There were major issues in the scheme as far as stopping the run and the players are forced to play that scheme. Could have some done better? Sure, but, I blame the scheme much more than I blame any player.

I heard an analyst on Mike & Mike a few weeks ago say that RG would be excellent as a middle linebacker. HIs reason was his size and speed. As a d-linemen, he's going to lose his competitive advantage against quite a few o-tackles and double team him and run the ball right at him. The guys comment was that as an middle backer, he could use his speed laterally, cover guys in the flat, and he wouldn't have to worry about constantly bulking up because his frame doesn't seem to want to carry 280lbs. I think this made a lot of sense because his speed is what separates him from the pack in college, but in the pros you need a combination of speed and size where with RG it's the size he's lacking.

I thought it was an interesting comment. Not sure how it would work in application, but interesting.

+1. I'm starting to get a man crush. Good stuff. I feel the same way. I'm really excited to see Collins and Valentine unleashed. Single gap, pressure up the middle and let the ends rush.

You could see, when Gregory was allowed to rush upfield, his arm length and strength made him unstoppable.

Denver is switching to a 3-4 scheme under Wade Phillips. I'd love to see Gregory at OLB in the 3-4 with Von Miller on the opposite side. Pipe dream, I know, but damn they would wreak havoc.

I dunno if I buy the premise that people are now claiming Randy Gregory was never that great to begin with.

RG came back for a Junior year already touted as a Top Five, maybe even Top Three draft pick.

He was dogged by injuries, poor schemes and huge expectations, and was still a Top Ten draft pick. His tweener size for the NFL was always an issue, but everyone agreed he'd get drafted high regardless and someone would figure out how to use his talents.

Suddenly you have some off-field issues that make you look back on his less than consistent play, including taking himself out of games when he looked winded, and that dials up the second guessing. But as this guy says, those questions marks might make RG drop, but that will also make him a bargain for the right team, and force RG to focus on the things he can control, which he'll need to do to reestablish his creds. Weirdly enough, it might take a tick of pressure off Randy Gregory and maybe that's what he needs.

• Fire 2