Most CFB Wins, Last 40 Years (1975-2014)

What would happen if you started the time line at 2000?

Had to do some compiling but here's what I found:

1 Boise State 167
2 Oklahoma 161
3 LSU 151
4 Oregon 147
5 Ohio State 146
6 Texas 146
7 Georgia 144
8 Virginia Tech 143
9 TCU 142
10 Florida 137
11 Wisconsin 136
12 Auburn 133
13 Southern California 132
14 Florida State 131
15 Nebraska 131
16 Louisville 129
17 Clemson 127
18 Miami (FL) 127
19 Northern Illinois 125
20 Utah 123
21 West Virginia 123
22 BYU 122
23 Cincinnati 120
24 Georgia Tech 120
25 Michigan 119
26 Fresno State 119
27 Texas Tech 118
28 South Carolina 117
29 Alabama 116
30 Missouri 116
31 Kansas State 116
32 Oklahoma State 115
33 Notre Dame 115
34 Toledo 115
35 Boston College 115
36 Iowa 114
37 Michigan State 113
38 Tennessee 111
39 Oregon State 109
40 Texas A&M 107
  • Fire 5

For years it seemed like Nebraska owned the SEC, especially at bowl time.

I don't remember any gloating over beating an SEC team either. Chances are the team wasn't as good as Oklahoma, and we didn't think of the conference having its own personality.

The SEC is as old as college football, but the narrative of SEC dominance is pretty new. In fairness to the SEC, they've had a pretty good run this decade.

I know there's a lot of SEC paranoia around here, but Ohio State got everyone's attention last year, and I think 2015 will start with a lot of eyes on the Big 10.

• Fire 1

What would happen if you started the time line at 2000?

Had to do some compiling but here's what I found:

1 Boise State 167

2 Oklahoma 161

3 LSU 151

<snip>

15 Nebraska 131

<snip>

What I find most odd about that #15 ranking is, we never finished ranked that high in any of the last dozen-ish of those years. Our final AP ranks from 2000 - 2014:

2000 : 9

2001 : 4

2002 : NR

2003 : 22

2004 : NR

2005 : NR

2006 : 22

2007 : NR

2008 : NR

2009 : 20

2010 : 17

2011 : 21

2012 : 23

2013 : NR

2014 : 25

Some of this probably has a lot to do with Bo's .500 record against ranked opponents or the blowout losses. And the Callahan Era was overall pretty much crap.

When people are voting on your rank and it isn't just straight numbers, opinions matter. And the overall opinion towards Nebraska the last dozen years has been... "meh."

• Fire 1

Yeah, that's pretty much been the argument over the last several years. We've been consistently better than a lot of teams but many other teams have had better years - albeit with worse years mixed in. We've won a lot of games - especially under Frank and Bo. But we basically haven't won any "big" games in that span.

A couple observations.

1- 25 years of Tom Osborne will sure skew any data that includes those years.

2- Considering what has transpired in Husker land the last 15 years and the fact that we still lead for wins over these years, there most certainly are more important things than just winning. Bo managed 9 or 10 wins every season yet didn't win any big games or anything of importance and even set quite a few records for defensive futility and set lows for embarrassing losses. Yup, that kind of winning is not all some make it out to be.

A couple observations.

2- Considering what has transpired in Husker land the last 15 years and the fact that we still lead for wins over these years, there most certainly are more important things than just winning. Bo managed 9 or 10 wins every season yet didn't win any big games or anything of importance and even set quite a few records for defensive futility and set lows for embarrassing losses. Yup, that kind of winning is not all some make it out to be.

But you can't completely ignore the winning either. Sure there was plenty to dislike, but there was a lot to be proud of too. He is gone and it was a needed change. But lets stop pretending he ran the program into the ground and stop acting like he never had a winning season.

• Fire 1

A couple observations.

But you can't completely ignore the winning either. Sure there was plenty to dislike, but there was a lot to be proud of too. He is gone and it was a needed change. But lets stop pretending he ran the program into the ground and stop acting like he never had a winning season.

Since you apparently read a whole bunch of stuff that I never actually said, let me clarify.

Bo Pelini had nothing but winning seasons at Nebraska. He won plenty of games, minimum of 9 per year by my calculations.

Bo did not run the program into the ground. In many aspects, he helped resurrect the program from the shambles BC and Pedey brought upon it.

However, Bo did cause a bit of his own damage to the program with his bunker mentality and refusal to make adjustments or changes. It wasn't all great and it wasn't all bad but he did need t go and we will be better off without him. I'm not sure there is much associated with Bo that I am proud of but, you are correct, he wasn't the antichrist either.

• Fire 1

If he tried a little harder he could have been the Antichrist of Husker football...

The funny thing about the win totals is that we consider the 7 years of 9+ wins as pretty disappointing in the grand scheme. I bet a lot of SEC schools would have loved to have our win totals to hang their hats on before the recent surge.

If he tried a little harder he could have been the Antichrist of Husker football...

The funny thing about the win totals is that we consider the 7 years of 9+ wins as pretty disappointing in the grand scheme. I bet a lot of SEC schools would have loved to have our win totals to hang their hats on before the recent surge.

In other words, those SEC schools would have rather played in the big 12 north and big10 legends/west

Bo was way more "Nebraska" than Callahan ever was.

Bo's era here could have been a LOT different if he'd have had at least one head coaching position prior to Nebraska. Some seasoning, some mistakes there instead of here, some growth as a head coach/program manager...

... things could have been a lot different here the past few years.

• Fire 1

He worked for one year here under Solich, that's it, right? It's no more than a loose connection. I think what we are finding is that a coach doesn't have to be "Nebraska" to begin with -- but they can embrace and exemplify it once they are hired. Bo didn't do very much of the latter. Guys who are very Nebraska don't trash the place on the way out both times.

Even if he had been better seasoned, that part wouldn't have been different. He might've had more success and stayed around longer though, for sure. Re-defining "The Nebraska Way" in his image. /shudder

Bo was way more "Nebraska" than Callahan ever was.

Bo's era here could have been a LOT different if he'd have had at least one head coaching position prior to Nebraska. Some seasoning, some mistakes there instead of here, some growth as a head coach/program manager...

... things could have been a lot different here the past few years.

I kind of see where you're coming from and no doubt, he needed to experience some ups and downs elsewhere prior to coming to Nebraska but still, there are some serious character flaws that I'm just not sure Bo will ever overcome.

When you find a way to blame a Nebraska fan base and it's media for a lot of your downfalls and struggles, then you will find those issues no matter where you go. He had as major LJS staffer kissing his ass for his entire tenure and plenty of Husker fans as well.

Also, when a first time Head Coach gives no value to experience in his coaching staff, contacting coaches who have vast experience in day to day life at the same University, and clearly showed a stubborness and resistance to change or evolution, I highly doubt that all changes in a short stint elsewhere.

He had seven years here. It never changed.