Post-spring Big Ten Power Rankings

Huskers at #4, behind only Wisconsin (#3) in the West. Funny how the two teams predicted to be #1 and #2 in the West both lost their HC last year.

True. But the competition isn't fierce. Minnesota can't get much better than they currently are. Northwestern, Purdue and Illinois aren't that great. Iowa, on average, will be mediocre. They're a yearly 6-6 team that will hover between bad years (5-7) and 'good' years (7-5,8-4).

Wisconsin and Nebraska are the only teams in the division that a team out of conference might be slightly scared of.

• Fire 1

Huskers at #4, behind only Wisconsin (#3) in the West. Funny how the two teams predicted to be #1 and #2 in the West both lost their HC last year.

https://twitter.com/NebraskaOnScout/status/597861755893764096

True. But the competition isn't fierce. Minnesota can't get much better than they currently are.

Wisconsin and Nebraska are the only teams in the division that a team out of conference might be slightly scared of.

Just curious, but why do you think this?

Minnesota lost a strange game to Illinois early in the season, they could easily not allow that bluner to happen again.

They lost to the National Champs (Ohio St) by 7 points.

The Badger team that made us look like one of the weakest teams ever to take the field, yeah Minnesota gave them a game. They only lost by 10 at Camp Randall.

They beat the pants off Iowa 51-14.

It seems to me Minnesota doesn't get the respect they've earned.

• Fire 2

True. But the competition isn't fierce. Minnesota can't get much better than they currently are. Northwestern, Purdue and Illinois aren't that great. Iowa, on average, will be mediocre. They're a yearly 6-6 team that will hover between bad years (5-7) and 'good' years (7-5,8-4).

They can't get any better? Why is that?

I think Mizzou would argue that point last year. Pretty sure Illinois kicked their butts, a division winner in the SEC East.

Every team tries to get better and there are not a lot of better coaches than Kill. Minyzota will be tough and give us all we want. Several will is my gues.

First year, learnig process for the whole team, staff. Learning the other teams, the Coaches and their game planning tendencies. Anxious to see how a well trained/experienced coach molds the team. Exciting times a commin guys.

Need a total change in attitude, confident, looking for help where ever it comes from. Positive positive positive and fun on top of un for the kids. I think Mike will be just what the doctor ordered for this program

• Fire 1

I think Mizzou would argue that point last year. Pretty sure Illinois kicked their butts, a division winner in the SEC East.Every team tries to get better and there are not a lot of better coaches than Kill. Minyzota will be tough and give us all we want. Several will is my gues.First year, learnig process for the whole team, staff. Learning the other teams, the Coaches and their game planning tendencies. Anxious to see how a well trained/experienced coach molds the team. Exciting times a commin guys.Need a total change in attitude, confident, looking for help where ever it comes from. Positive positive positive and fun on top of un for the kids. I think Mike will be just what the doctor ordered for this program

Stop saying stuff I agree with! +1

Kill is a fantastic coach held back only by two things: 1) His health issues and 2) Minnysodas ceiling.

He has already surpassed whats been expected of him. Should we or Wisconsin falter it is completely believable they could take runner up or even win the West should the chips fall just right.

I'm curious to see how Minny does this year and if they can take a step forward. Cobb is gone. And their QB isn't very good (51% completion and 11/8 TD/Int). I believe Kill and staff are good, but there comes a point where you have to get the athletes to compete at the top level and they don't have too many of them.

As for losing to OSU by "only" 7 points, the scoreboard is much closer than the actual game was. OSU out yarded them 500-300, had a fumble on the 5 yard line as they were going in to score, and was up 17 with 7 minutes to go in the game. Oh, and it was snowing with a wind chill around 10.

I'm curious to see how Minny does this year and if they can take a step forward. Cobb is gone. And their QB isn't very good (51% completion and 11/8 TD/Int). I believe Kill and staff are good, but there comes a point where you have to get the athletes to compete at the top level and they don't have too many of them.

As for losing to OSU by "only" 7 points, the scoreboard is much closer than the actual game was. OSU out yarded them 500-300, had a fumble on the 5 yard line as they were going in to score, and was up 17 with 7 minutes to go in the game. Oh, and it was snowing with a wind chill around 10.

I think Minnesota will actually take a step back this year. Not a big one, but like a 7-5 season. They lost a lot offensively with Cobb and that big TE gone. There defense may be a little better, but I can see this year as a let down, because a lot will be expected of them.

It is also stupid to compare from game to game and score to score. That is not the way football works. The only thing that really matters is the scoreboard. Minnesota only lost to OSU by 7, yet they got beat by Wisconsin why ended up getting killed by OSU. It is not an algebraic equation.

I think Mizzou would argue that point last year. Pretty sure Illinois kicked their butts, a division winner in the SEC East.

That would be Indiana. Indiana won one game in the B1G - out of eight - over a team that also only won one game. But they were undefeated in the SEC East - beating the division winner who beat seven other SEC teams.

• Fire 1

That would be Indiana. Indiana won one game in the B1G - out of eight - over a team that also only won one game. But they were undefeated in the SEC East - beating the division winner who beat seven other SEC teams.

That makes me smile a lot

I think Kill has done an incredible job doing a lot with very little talent to work with. I'm not sure how much of a jump they can make without an upgrade in talent.

They're a well coached team with an identity. They've beat us two years in a row and can compete on any given day with some good teams. But I don't think they can make the jump to being a 10-2 type team without improving the talent they have, just my opinion.

I think Kill has done an incredible job doing a lot with very little talent to work with. I'm not sure how much of a jump they can make without an upgrade in talent.

They're a well coached team with an identity. They've beat us two years in a row and can compete on any given day with some good teams. But I don't think they can make the jump to being a 10-2 type team without improving the talent they have, just my opinion.

They were one game away from playing for the Big 10 championship last year. If they had a really good QB they'd have a chance to make that jump this year or the next imo but alas they don't. Their defense is strong though. To me success breeds success and Kill has done an amazing job since he's got there. We play at Minnesota this year and imo it's a tossup of who wins that one.

Rivals recruiting rankings for Minnesota:

2011 - 52nd

2012 - 73rd

2013 - 61st

2014 - 52nd

2015 - 52nd

Could they win the B1G West this year? Possibly, especially with coaching changes at NU and Wisky. Kill and his staff are good coaches. But with recruiting rankings like these 8 or 9 wins will probably be the ceiling.

They were one game away from playing for the Big 10 championship last year. If they had a really good QB they'd have a chance to make that jump this year or the next imo but alas they don't. Their defense is strong though. To me success breeds success and Kill has done an amazing job since he's got there. We play at Minnesota this year and imo it's a tossup of who wins that one.

Bolded could be said for most top 40 teams.