What age to start tackle football?

My son has played a number of flag football seasons and his team wrapped up their spring season tonight. He will be turning 13 in August and going into Jr. High (7th grade) this fall. It seems like most of the best players on his flag team will now play tackle football in the fall (3 kids on his flag team already do play tackle in the fall).

My son is best as a defensive corner. He plays zone very well, reads plays well, and has good instincts to get to ball carrier to pull flags. He needs to work on his speed and quickness with some of the caliber players he now is up against, especially in man coverage. He also plays back-up WR and is like a possession WR...the teams utilizes faster WR's with better playmaking ability ahead of him and so his role as a WR is diminished. We have talked about him focusing on CB as a spot to get better at and play in high school.

We are considering tackle but not sure so looking for sincere opinions. My wife is against it. I could probably go either way. I have concern he may not keep up with peers that move to tackle and they may have advantage to get the playing time in high school. But also know people that say tackle is overrated at early age so just concentrate on getting better while playing flag. What is the best route to go? Am I overthinking this or if not, what do I really need to be thinking about here? My objective is to get him to the best place to play when he reaches high school.

I played flag in 6th grade and then tackle from 7th grade on. Playing tackle made me tougher, simple as that. That way when I got to high school ball I wasn't trying to get used to tackle as well

as getting used to an expanded playbook. This was obviously before all the concussion worries. I know I had a few concussions in my time playing tackle football. It comes down to the fundamentals they are taught when they go to tackle. The coaches can't just let them lose their minds. We were never taught to hit helmet-to-helmet hitting, but it happened from time-to-time unfortunately.

I commend the OP for waiting to put his kid into tackle football. I think parents push their kids into tackle football way too early. I watched a 8-9 year old tackle football game last fall and it was the worst thing ever, plus the parents were going absolutely crazy on the sidelines. It's a little barbaric when parents are going crazy of the "big hit" their 8 year old had in the game.

I will not let my boys (if I am blessed with them) play organized tackle football till 7th grade. I don't have qualms about them getting friends together to play tackle at the park with no pads. I learned that way, and I had no issues in development

Playing pick up tackle football in a park or backyard was great. We did that a couple times each week in junior high.

I wouldn't stress over it too much. Up to about the age of 13, full contact tackle ball is probably not needed for developement. Personally I don't think it hurts to do it but they probably aren't missing out if they don't do it. However, at about 13 I think it is probably time to give it a shot if you don't want them falling behind their peers. Some kids will take to it and others won't. Nothing wrong either, some kids just won't have the physical maturity or attitude for full contact sports. 13 seems like as good as time as any to start figuring that out. Some may bloom earlier or later or never at all. You should have a pretty good idea where your son is at on the spectrum so I'm sure you'll probably make the right decision.

Two things that I suggest are a must! First, make sure that when your son gets fitted for a helmet that it is DONE properly! Too many times I have witnessed coaches handing out helmets and they have no clue how to determine the correct fit on the players head. Also, make sure the coaches are certified in "heads up football". Believe it or not you will still find coaches teaching the improper way to tackle. With any sport your child runs the risk of injury, but now a days I can say with certainty that coaches are being aware of how to recognize the signs of potential concussions.

If ya have any more questions feel free to shoot me a pm. I can try to answer them the best I can.

Middle School

Also, don't worry about his position.

It will work like this...if he is not afraid to tackle he will play on defense. If he is one of the 11 best tacklers he will be a starter.

No he won't!! You hate my kid! or You don't recognize talent when you see it!! :sarcasm

When will parents realize that coaches want to win, and will do what is best for the team? (Well, except for Callahan, maybe . . . ) :angry:

Two things that I suggest are a must! First, make sure that when your son gets fitted for a helmet that it is DONE properly! Too many times I have witness coaches handing out helmets and they have no clue how to determine the correct fit on the players head. Also, make sure the coaches are certified in "heads up football". Believe it or not you will still find coaches teaching the improper way to tackle. With any sport your child runs the risk if injury, but now a days I can say with certainty that coaches are being aware of how to recognize the sings of potential concussions.

If ya have any more questions feel free to shoot me a pm. I can try to answer them the best I can.

There is more head trauma from soccer than from any other sport - yet mama will push soccer over football because its "less dangerous".

Middle School

It will work like this...if he is not afraid to tackle he will play on defense. If he is one of the 11 best tacklers he will be a starter.

No he won't!! You hate my kid! or You don't recognize talent when you see it!! :sarcasm

When will parents realize that coaches want to win, and will do what is best for the team? (Well, except for Callahan, maybe . . . ) :angry:

Two things that I suggest are a must! First, make sure that when your son gets fitted for a helmet that it is DONE properly! Too many times I have witness coaches handing out helmets and they have no clue how to determine the correct fit on the players head. Also, make sure the coaches are certified in "heads up football". Believe it or not you will still find coaches teaching the improper way to tackle. With any sport your child runs the risk if injury, but now a days I can say with certainty that coaches are being aware of how to recognize the sings of potential concussions.

There is more head trauma from soccer than from any other sport - yet mama will push soccer over football because its "less dangerous".

Ha! I love when I get emails from parents after the first day of practice...letting me know where they think their son should be playing! ha

Middle School

Ha! I love when I get emails from parents after the first day of practice...letting me know where they think their son should be playing! ha

I think you have to put the age of the child in perspective when you reach out to a coach about your child. I had a talk with son's coach last year for flag football. It is a learning league and he was playing favorites to the point that some parents were basically paying to watch their kids sit on the sideline and do nothing. I aired it out with him and told him that if this was the type of team he was going to run, then let the parents know this first so they can explain to their kids how it will work.

I have no illusions about my son's ability but he isn't a slouch on the field either. But when I pay $75 to put him in a learn first league, I expect him to get time at all football positions and time on the field to learn.

Middle School

I think you have to put the age of the child in perspective when you reach out to a coach about your child. I had a talk with son's coach last year for flag football. It is a learning league and he was playing favorites to the point that some parents were basically paying to watch their kids sit on the sideline and do nothing. I aired it out with him and told him that if this was the type of team he was going to run, then let the parents know this first so they can explain to their kids how it will work.

I have no illusions about my son's ability but he isn't a slouch on the field either. But when I pay $75 to put him in a learn first league, I expect him to get time at all football positions and time on the field to learn.

Most youth leagues have rules about this....Players have to play a specific amount of plays or quarters

Middle School

Most youth leagues have rules about this....Players have to play a specific amount of plays or quarters

You are correct. But who is monitoring and enforcing it? At least in this league there is no one from some "league office" checking in on it.