Brion Carnes and Bo's Doghouse

I was being over the top sarcastic above yeah, but I also don't buy the notion that there's nothing to this but a kid who got his feelings hurt because he wasn't good enough.

As they say, where there's smoke, there's fire. This Bo Pelini doghouse stuff has been around for a long time. I believe there were guys that were looked over but I honestly might never be able to tell you why. I just know that I saw guys with more talent than the current starter at a position, and those guys rode the pine for far too long.

Does anybody really want to outright deny the possibility of this? It's easily plausible that Carnes may not have been given a fair shake. Motive? I can think of a guy that may have pissed Bo Pelini off a few times. A few times we know about, and maybe even a few we dont know about. Tommie Frazier, Carnes' cousin. I'm not saying Carnes' WAS ignored because Tommie may have pissed Bo off a few times, but I'm saying I would totally believe it if it were true.

Also, if Bo Pelini were this noble "best man for the job" kind of guy and the best man truly did see the field no matter what the circumstances, then Mark Pelini doesn't play a freaking snap at Center and Jake Cotton loses his starting job about four games into the year last year.

Plus 1 for the spidey sense and the simpson sarcastic meter thing though. I needed a laugh.

• Fire 1

Do coaches play favorites?

Yes and no

Mostly no, most everyone is going to play the player that gives the team the best chance to win

Coaches arent going to purposely sabotage themselves

Coaches favor the kids who give them the best chance to win games.

The problem is NO ONE here gets to see all the practices or really understands exactly what the coaches are looking for position wise- as to what best fits their scheme

Fit includes MUCH more that athleticism and strength

Can the player do everything- or the MOST IMPORTANT things well?

Can a DB play both press man and zone? How is he on run support, In this D- maybe he has to be good at trail technique or passing guys off a bunch or reads patterns based on the DEPTH of the QB drop and formation/down and distance.

There is a lot that goes into it that we cant see.

Bo was hard headed and holds grudges, so sure it could have happened

Whats more likely is kids arent the best fit and they dont see it themselves

Always a "locker room" lawyer out there trying to win the job in the locker room, rather than field

Other times what WE see as great skills, is only a small part of the picture

Personally I root for some kids to "make it" but always play the kids who give us the best chance to win

Once the game is not in doubt, then that changes a bit, you go into long term development or team building mode

• Fire 2

I was being over the top sarcastic above yeah, but I also don't buy the notion that there's nothing to this but a kid who got his feelings hurt because he wasn't good enough.

As they say, where there's smoke, there's fire. This Bo Pelini doghouse stuff has been around for a long time. I believe there were guys that were looked over but I honestly might never be able to tell you why. I just know that I saw guys with more talent than the current starter at a position, and those guys rode the pine for far too long.

So.... Why didn't he win the job at Northern Iowa?

No idea. I don't follow Northern Iowa athletics.

Do we just assume that it's because he sucks at football?

If that's the case, why the f#*k did Nebraska offer him a scholarship?

Could be a lot of reasons he didn't start. None of which I know.

But doesn't that undercut the theory that coaching bias held him back at Nebraska?

If Carnes was given just the chance he wanted at a less-competitive college and still didn't start, we might be safe assuming he sucks.

If that's the case, he's simply one of thousands of kids who can put together awesome high school videotape, but aren't mentally or physically ready when the competition gets exponentially better.

Nebraska hasn't been great in this department, but we're hardly alone in phenoms who wash out.

• Fire 2

But doesn't that undercut the theory that coaching bias held him back at Nebraska?

If Carnes was given just the chance he wanted at a less-competitive college and still didn't start, we might be safe assuming he sucks.

If that's the case, he's simply one of thousands of kids who can put together awesome high school videotape, but aren't mentally or physically ready when the competition gets exponentially better.

Nebraska hasn't been great in this department, but we're hardly alone in phenoms who wash out.

Occam's razor isn't as fun as tinfoil hats.
  • Fire 1

The thing about "Bo's doghouse" is that it is almost entirely reliant upon conjecture and rumor. That said, I think it's fair to keep all possibilities in mind - there's a chance Carnes is just upset, there's also the possibility that maybe Bo did hold grudges.

We saw players make some great plays or see significant PT and then all of a sudden drop off the Earth. We saw guys that may have less natural ability hold roles because they knew the defense well. But, Bo asked a lot of his defenders - if you got a TFL but then whiffed on three other straight assignments you were going to ride the bench. Whether that's fair or not is another argument - that's how Bo ran his defense. He would sometimes say in interviews that there was a lot more to a play than what the average fan sees, and that one missed tackle can sometimes happen because another player put his teammate out of position.

The truth is we don't know what happened and won't. But, my argument right now is Carnes probably "made plays in practice", but he didn't make enough of them to warrant significant PT. I just have a hard time personally accepting Bo wouldn't have played Carnes if he were the better player - he already showed he'd play a younger guy over an incumbent if he had to.

Remember this too - the coaches switched Carnes to wide receiver late in his career here. It's not like they kept him buried on the QB depth chart.

• Fire 3

It's entirely possible the kid just sucks at football. Which is why the Omaha Beef just signed him to a contract............?(yes, I know....Omaha Beef yada yada, it's still a competitive footbll league where money is involved, you can't just write it off as nothing)

Look gentlemen, this is what I get for playing devil's advocate here sometimes. I'm not saying the guy was jobbed out of any chance here. I don't know that. Do I think it's possible? Hell yes I do, I've seen Bo Pelini. The guy is a dipsh*t. I wouldn't put anything past him and I gave a possible motive above.

Would I be more willing to believe Bo Pelini had a loyalty to Taylor Martinez and his family and had a dispute with Tommie Frazier that made him less likely to consier Brion? Or do I believe Nebraska gave Brion a scholarship and the Omaha Beef signed him to a contract becaue he's a horrible QB?

Hmmmm.........interesting stuff.

Occam's razor isn't as fun as tinfoil hats.

I'm not a tinfoil hat kind of guy. You here to discuss the topic or try to poke fun at me as if I'm not capable of deductive reasoning or logic?

I've said nothing to provoke you and I've said no more than the possibilities of this situation. Don't go out of your way to provoke me.

Nothing surprising here. Bo was a joke for a coach and there's a reason he's coaching in the FBS now. Even Frazier didn't feel Carnes was getting a fair shot.

1038.gif

Of course Tommie thought that.

Frazier didnt like anything Bo did and Carnes is related to Frazier

That actually kind of reminds me of an editorial that Josh Faulkenberry's girlfriend posted after she found out he wasn't getting a spot on the roster (not sure if this warrants a separate thread or not, but if somebody wants to start a thread with the ed, feel free to start one). Basically just sour grapes because somebody thought their friend/cousin/significant other/etc. didn't get a fair shake.

Agreed, I think she enjoyed being around memorial stadium because she dated a player. Now she's not so she has no need to be there. Whenever you start off an article letting everyone know your bias its only going to land you a job on the 24/7 news media circuit

My understanding is that Taylor Martinez persevered quietly as a redshirt freshman, frequently reminded that he might be better off pursuing another position.

Given the chance to compete for quarterback against Senior returning starter Zac Lee and erstwhile superstar in waiting Cody Green, Taylor Martinez blew the entire coaching staff away, able to do everything Lee was doing in Shawn Watson's new offense, but at twice the speed. Taylor was announced as the starter at kickoff of the opening game. He scored a touchdown the first time he touched the ball. He had talent Zac Lee could only approximate and confidence Cody Green could only dream of. After the first six games of his career, Taylor Martinez was a leading Heisman Trophy candidate.

Bo Pelini rode Taylor Martinez when Taylor was clearly injured. That was probably the wrong kind of loyalty.

But it's really hard to argue there was a more deserving quarterback thwarted by Taylor Martinez's record-setting career.

• Fire 3

Would I be more willing to believe Bo Pelini had a loyalty to Taylor Martinez and his family and had a dispute with Tommie Frazier that made him less likely to consier Brion? Or do I believe Nebraska gave Brion a scholarship and the Omaha Beef signed him to a contract becaue he's a horrible QB?

You seem to have made up your mind.

You do know that Tom Osborne, Bob Devaney and Amos Alonzo Stagg all recruited quarterbacks who didn't pan out, right?

With all due respect to the Omaha Beef, it will probably cost them a few hundred dollars to sign a quarterback with Nebraska name-recognition. It's not quite the endorsement you're stretching for.

I wish Brion luck. Why not? But his unsuccessful foray into Northern Iowa football should be all the evidence you need.

• Fire 1