Brion Carnes and Bo's Doghouse

As they say, where there's smoke, there's fire. This Bo Pelini doghouse stuff has been around for a long time. I believe there were guys that were looked over but I honestly might never be able to tell you why. I just know that I saw guys with more talent than the current starter at a position, and those guys rode the pine for far too long.

Can you give some examples?

As they say, where there's smoke, there's fire. This Bo Pelini doghouse stuff has been around for a long time. I believe there were guys that were looked over but I honestly might never be able to tell you why. I just know that I saw guys with more talent than the current starter at a position, and those guys rode the pine for far too long.

I think the center and right side of our O-line last year is an easy spot to point to. I have no idea how to grade a lineman but things sure seemed to work better once Pelini, Sterup, and the right guard were off the field . There were some plays where Sterup looked really really bad at RT.

Having said that....quantifying how good or bad specific lineman play is difficult to do.

• Fire 2

I think the center and right side of our O-line last year is an easy spot to point to. I have no idea how to grade a lineman but things sure seemed to work better once Pelini, Sterup, and the starting right guard were off the field . There were some plays where Sterup looked really really bad at RT.

Having said that....quantifying how good or bad specific lineman play is difficult to do.

Kinda surprised Phillip Dillard's name hasn't been mentioned about doghouse. If it weren't for injuries at LB he would have waited longer to get the PT he deserved out of fall camp. All because he didn't get to the playing weight they wanted him at. Don't recall if Els was LB coach at the time, but glad he's gone anyway.

• Fire 1

It was Ekeler. Arguably that was an example of 'doghouse' handled right. It just worked out in the end.

As someone pointed out earlier, no coach is actively trying to sabotage himself by not playing the best players. It's pretty tough to give everybody a truly fair shake, though. Sometimes players just slip through the cracks. Sometimes coaches aren't very good about managing their team. Think we can agree Pelini was much better with X's and O's than the management aspect, so maybe a few more players than average were casualties of poor decisions. Though of course they assuredly played their own role, too.

After it took Compton and Fisher injuries to get Lavonte David on the field, I take any claim that Bo made all the correct personnel decisions with a mountain of salt.

That being said, had Carne's been better than Martinez, it stands to reason he would have made a name for himself somewhere, what with all his "it" factor.

• Fire 4

No idea. I don't follow Northern Iowa athletics.

Do we just assume that it's because he sucks at football?

If that's the case, why the f#*k did Nebraska offer him a scholarship?

Could be a lot of reasons he didn't start. None of which I know.

But doesn't that undercut the theory that coaching bias held him back at Nebraska?

If Carnes was given just the chance he wanted at a less-competitive college and still didn't start, we might be safe assuming he sucks.

If that's the case, he's simply one of thousands of kids who can put together awesome high school videotape, but aren't mentally or physically ready when the competition gets exponentially better.

Nebraska hasn't been great in this department, but we're hardly alone in phenoms who wash out.

It's entirely possible the kid just sucks at football. Which is why the Omaha Beef just signed him to a contract............?(yes, I know....Omaha Beef yada yada, it's still a competitive footbll league where money is involved, you can't just write it off as nothing)

Look gentlemen, this is what I get for playing devil's advocate here sometimes. I'm not saying the guy was jobbed out of any chance here. I don't know that. Do I think it's possible? Hell yes I do, I've seen Bo Pelini. The guy is a dipsh*t. I wouldn't put anything past him and I gave a possible motive above.

Would I be more willing to believe Bo Pelini had a loyalty to Taylor Martinez and his family and had a dispute with Tommie Frazier that made him less likely to consier Brion? Or do I believe Nebraska gave Brion a scholarship and the Omaha Beef signed him to a contract becaue he's a horrible QB?

Hmmmm.........interesting stuff.

Nobody should use the fact that a guy was signed to MINOR LEAGUE indoor football as evidence that the player was a talented player in college who should have gotten a better look at being the starting QB.

Thank God nobody did.

Well, True, if what you are saying is that Carnes getting a contract from the Omaha Beef puts him somewhere between better than "sucking at football" or "a horrible QB" but less than getting a "better look at being the starting QB" at Nebraska, then that is not much of an argument or endorsement.

Also, the fact that Nebraska gave Carnes a scholarship is not a strong argument why he should get a starting position, as Nebraska also gave a scholarship to Taylor.

I appreciate the devil's advocate role you are playing here, but neither argument is convincing regarding Carnes' potential to be a starting QB.

• Fire 1

It's entirely possible that Carnes wouldn't have gotten a fair shot at being our starting QB even if he did live up to the hype, but that's a purely hypothetical situation. Even then, it'd become a question of whether Bo was too loyal to Taylor, had some reason to throw Carnes in the doghouse, or even a combination of both.

Kinda surprised Phillip Dillard's name hasn't been mentioned about doghouse. If it weren't for injuries at LB he would have waited longer to get the PT he deserved out of fall camp. All because he didn't get to the playing weight they wanted him at. Don't recall if Els was LB coach at the time, but glad he's gone anyway.

I know Phillip Dillards HS coach. That HS coach warned many colleges off of PD.

IIRC- he said John Blake was in PDs ear, telling him what he wanted to hear

PD had major issues that would have nearly every coach in college football sitting him

PD never got beyond them until very late in his career, probably thanks to the doghouse. That one may have been one BP played right

No idea. I don't follow Northern Iowa athletics.

Do we just assume that it's because he sucks at football?

If that's the case, why the f#*k did Nebraska offer him a scholarship?

Could be a lot of reasons he didn't start. None of which I know.

But doesn't that undercut the theory that coaching bias held him back at Nebraska?

If Carnes was given just the chance he wanted at a less-competitive college and still didn't start, we might be safe assuming he sucks.

If that's the case, he's simply one of thousands of kids who can put together awesome high school videotape, but aren't mentally or physically ready when the competition gets exponentially better.

Nebraska hasn't been great in this department, but we're hardly alone in phenoms who wash out.

Occam's razor isn't as fun as tinfoil hats.

I'm not a tinfoil hat kind of guy. You here to discuss the topic or try to poke fun at me as if I'm not capable of deductive reasoning or logic?

I've said nothing to provoke you and I've said no more than the possibilities of this situation. Don't go out of your way to provoke me.

I wasn't going out of my way to "provoke" you. You're just taking it way to personal, because my point wasn't even directed at you. It was a response to Guy.

Did guys get thrown in the doghouse? Absolutely. It happens everywhere.

Did it happen in this instance? I don't think it did, and the evidence is there to show why.

After it took Compton and Fisher injuries to get Lavonte David on the field, I take any claim that Bo made all the correct personnel decisions with a mountain of salt.

That being said, had Carne's been better than Martinez, it stands to reason he would have made a name for himself somewhere, what with all his "it" factor.

I don't think anyone is saying he made all correct decisions. Lord knows he didn't. But some people act like he was wrong 75% of the time, and played favorites more than not.

I know Phillip Dillards HS coach. That HS coach warned many colleges off of PD.

IIRC- he said John Blake was in PDs ear, telling him what he wanted to hear

PD had major issues that would have nearly every coach in college football sitting him

PD never got beyond them until very late in his career, probably thanks to the doghouse. That one may have been one BP played right

I call BS on this. Dillard was raised by Tyrone Lynn and his wife from the age of 9. Lynn was a police officer and raised Dillard as one of his own. He was the one that got Dillard into football and was the father figure in his life. Dillard played a lot for us and never had issues except a torn ACL which kept him out his So. yr and a hurt ankle which caused him to miss game at the end of 2008.

This is possible but it takes a lot of assumptions to get there. David was brand new on campus and trying to catch two guys who'd been here for two years. And Compton is apparently quite a bit better than many give him credit for considering he started five games and was one of the Redskins leading tacklers last year. Obviously the injuries got him on the field a little faster but we don't know if that was one game faster, five games faster or what would have happened if he had to win the job.

The whole right side of the offensive line last year?