Chris Spielman: Nebraska needs to tackle

Dear Chris Spielman

No sh#t?

If it really is as simple as that, then why was tackling so poor on a regular basis?

Sure, his statement is a bit of a "well, duh," but, I for one think the poor tackling wasn't made as big of an issue as it should've been. Angles and tackling were bad on a regular basis, and a big part of tackling is just making sure you're in the right spot to make the tackle in the first place.

If memory serves correctly, they didn't tackle much in practice. Kind of difficult to hone your skill if you don't practice it

We didn't tackle much this spring either. Perhaps that will change this fall but I think this is a lot more common than people think.

And Pelini was still a poor coach.

Good news for you champ. He's gone.

You're right. I have no idea why I felt like I had to jump in and remind folks why we won't miss him.

Wait a minute. It's coming back to me.....

Riley has been a head coach twice as long as Pelini at the collegiate level......and has the same number of conference championships. If that's not exciting news..........at least the press conferences will be more friendly. If that's your thing.

Fair enough.

Okay, the floor is yours. What is it you'll miss most about Bo Pelini?

You are such a douschenozzle.

Rather than a personal attack, or name calling, the ignore function can allegedly be your friend.

Or you could just not be a jerk who posts the same crap over and over (and over).

Also, ignore's practically useless since you can still see the person's posts that are quoted.

Again, as much as I disagree with TheSker and JMFB, skepticism is valid and it would be weird to read a board filled with nothing but optimists, posting the same things over and over.

And again, posts and views are always higher in threads where something snippy is going on, so let's not pretend we even WANT to ignore the people we disagree with but continue to engage.

You're right. I have no idea why I felt like I had to jump in and remind folks why we won't miss him.

Riley has been a head coach twice as long as Pelini at the collegiate level......and has the same number of conference championships. If that's not exciting news..........at least the press conferences will be more friendly. If that's your thing.

Fair enough.

If Riley gets us to the next level immediately, nothing. My posts are not about "missing' Pelini.....we know where to find him. My posts are about hiring a guy at the end of his career who has never won his conference.

Fair enough.

If Riley gets us to the next level immediately, nothing. My posts are not about "missing' Pelini.....we know where to find him. My posts are about hiring a guy at the end of his career who has never won his conference.

I'll have to take you at your word. Given the body of your work on HuskerBoard the past few months, one might think you believe firing Bo Pelini was a big mistake, hiring Riley was even worse, and you might actually be rooting for Riley's failure — anything less than 10 wins in his first season — because the Riley boosters clearly irritate you and it would be terrifically satisfying to prove them wrong.

• Fire 1

Fair enough.

You have a valid point

We don't know how Riley will pan out and other than winning his league championship (twice) in the CFL, he has not exactly match at Oregon St that Snyder did at KState. But both coaches did turn around terrible programs, yet Snyder did win two conference championships. He is at the end of his career and he is not a "splash" hire.

But he is the coach and there is nothing we can do about it. Except complain about it. Or support it until things go wrong. Can you tell me anything that MR has done wrong so far?

This is SE's decision and if it proves to be the wrong one then we can go all Pedy and BC all over his ass.

Hiring mike riley may noy have been abput getting to the next level. But the fact is Bo had to go. Who else was available that was a logical choice? Mike Riley is a guy to come in, yes, at the end of his career that could be motivated for one last stab at greatness at a place that is willing and capable of giving him all the tools and toys necessary. Its about being that non-antagonistic calming factor to draw everyone back into one direction. My honest guess is we still wont see better than 9/10-4. Butill be well feel alot better about it. And in 4-6 more years, after we run him off or he decides to pass the keys to langsdorf, maybe theyll be someone more high profile out there. Regardless im really enjoyi g the class and comraderie this staff has brought

Again, as much as I disagree with TheSker and JMFB, skepticism is valid and it would be weird to read a board filled with nothing but optimists, posting the same things over and over.

And again, posts and views are always higher in threads where something snippy is going on, so let's not pretend we even WANT to ignore the people we disagree with but continue to engage.

I just want to point out that I don't believe a poster like thesker is actually being skeptical. His posts are irrationally negative. He has already reached his perception that Riley is a bad coach because he has never won anything. That isn't actually being skeptical. If he were being skepticL he might use the same facts but say it doesn't actually mean anything as it's just a statistical correlation that could or could not be applicable, there is no way for us to know. He may use some facts, but his posts are soaked in pathos, and the conclusion being put forth is hardly skeptical.