Athlon Sports: Setting First-Year Expectations for Nebraska's Mike Riley

How Many Regular Season Games Will Nebraska Win in 2015?  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bo Pelini won at least nine games in each of his seven seasons as Nebraska’s head coach. But the standard in Lincoln is much higher than just nine wins a year. Mike Riley was hired away from Oregon State to elevate the Cornhuskers back into Big Ten title contention and return the program into a factor on the national scene once again. Nebraska has finished in the final Associated Press top 25 poll three times in the last four years. However, 24th[/size] was its highest finish.

Riley has a different coaching style than Pelini, but will it translate into success at Nebraska? Riley’s ability to develop talent and find underrated prospects on the recruiting trail should help the Cornhuskers over the next few years. But is that enough to knock off Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin on a consistent basis?

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/setting-first-year-expectations-nebraskas-mike-riley#sthash.hOAp4SaF.dpuf[/size]

Edited by Mavric:

With apologies to saunders, I was thinking about starting this topic after some discussions yesterday. Rather than start a completely new thread, I just added the Poll at the top.

Just want to see how many game you think is most likely that the Huskers will win this year - regular season only. I think most would say they wouldn't be surprised with one more or less than they predict but just say what you think is most likely. And adding a post with why you think that or what game you think we'll win/lose would be great.

Edited by Mavric
  • Fire 2

It better be enough and it better happen in his first year! Or Else! We drop the hammer on him. Urban Meyer did it at Ohio St. so it should be expected everywhere.

Thats just my opinion on the matter.

O'Doyle Rules!

I know you were joking around but unfortunately there is a bit of a truth to what you say. If he has a "bad" year in his first season things will not be all that fun. I think he knows he needs to hit a certain mark even in his first season to keep a lot of the fans somewhat happy.

I personally think from looking at the schedule that this is a 10 to 11 win team

I think we will hover around the same place, W-L wise, we have been the last several years, but I think we'll look better doing it.

BYU - I think we split the BYU/Miami games. Win one lose one.

South Alabama - W

Miami - See above

Southern Miss - W

Illinois - W

Wisconsin - Not facing them with Bo Pelini's defense and with them having a worse coach and no Melvin Gordon, I think we win this game.

Minnesota - W - I think Minnesota takes a step back this year

Northwestern - W

Purdue - W

Michigan State - L

Rutgers - Rutgers might be a trap game for us, they're a program very quietly on the rise.

Iowa - W

That would be 9-3. idk

I think we will hover around the same place, W-L wise, we have been the last several years, but I think we'll look better doing it.

South Alabama - W

Miami - See above

Southern Miss - W

Illinois - W

Wisconsin - Not facing them with Bo Pelini's defense and with them having a worse coach and no Melvin Gordon, I think we win this game.

Northwestern - W

Purdue - W

Michigan State - L

Rutgers - Rutgers might be a trap game for us, they're a program very quietly on the rise.

Iowa - W

That would be 9-3. idk

That's pretty much what I got except a W against Rutgers and an L against Wisconsin.

Also, I think we beat BYU but not Miami.

South Alabama - W

Miami - See above

Southern Miss - W

Illinois - W

Northwestern - W

Purdue - W

Michigan State - L

Iowa - W

That would be 9-3. idk

That's pretty much what I got except a W against Rutgers and an L against Wisconsin.

Also, I think we beat BYU but not Miami.

I'd go with that, except I think (hope) we beat Miami. Projections are for them to be a 6-7 win team, so hopefully we pull it out.

I'd go with that, except I think (hope) we beat Miami. Projections are for them to be a 6-7 win team, so hopefully we pull it out.

If we do win that and BYU, and get one against either MSU or Wisconsin, that gives us a 10 win season, which would be a VERY GOOD starting point for a new coach putting in new systems/philosophy. We'd be safely ranked top 20 going into bowl season.

If we do win that and BYU, and get one against either MSU or Wisconsin, that gives us a 10 win season, which would be a VERY GOOD starting point for a new coach putting in new systems/philosophy. We'd be safely ranked top 20 going into bowl season.

Yeah, that's my hope for this year.