2015 Pre-Season Coaches Poll Released

Not anymore it doesn't. The playoff poll is the only one that matters.

Yes, the playoff poll is the only one that matters, but this poll, the media poll, and the entire media frenzy does have an impact on the opinions of the playoff poll members. It's only human nature to think that TEAM A beating a #5 ranked TEAM B is a big win for TEAM A.

Yea I think ColoradoHusk is right about that. Where these teams start the season keeps them toward the top of the lists and on the tip of peoples tongues for the majority of the season. Even when they haven't played anyone or done anything. Then, when/if a loss does come, they never fall very far regardless of how well a Pre Season unranked team has done. There shouldn't be any rating until about week 8. When teams have played a bit of their conference schedule and there's enough film and on paper to truly see what you've got in a football team. How the hell should anybody be ranked based on how good we "think" they "might" be? It's always been done this way and it's dumb. It's all a big hype machine and usually a lot of the hype surrounds the SEC. Last year was a great example.

I don't think it has as much impact because the playoff poll doesn't come out for several weeks after games are played where the committee has an opportunity to assess a teams real value. not perceived like the media polls.

But I agree that preseason polls are stupid. At least for a top 25. Last year, 10 teams that started un-ranked in the preseason finished ranked. 4 in the top 15. 3 Top 10 teams finished 23, NR, NR.

It is really just a guessing game.

Why does it have to be any more than that? It gives people something to talk about. Why does the initial poll have to be spot on?

It's not like the old BCS where a team beats the #4 school but that #4 team went on to go 7-5, the team that won still got credit for beating the #4 team.

The playoff committee isn't that dumb. (I hope). I would guess that they understand that South Carolina really wasn't that good last year so beating them didn't mean as much as the BCS would have emphasized.

• Fire 3

Yes, the playoff poll is the only one that matters, but this poll, the media poll, and the entire media frenzy does have an impact on the opinions of the playoff poll members. It's only human nature to think that TEAM A beating a #5 ranked TEAM B is a big win for TEAM A.

Not really. Don't you remember Texas A&M and South Carolina preseason and beginning of the season last year?

The playoff committee doesn't put out a poll until week 10, and theirs has looked differently enough from the coaches/media polls to rest easy that they're making their own independent evaluations, and 10 weeks is enough time for people to start falling into their rightful places.

I don't like preseason polls either, but this isn't much of an issue any longer.

Yea I think ColoradoHusk is right about that. Where these teams start the season keeps them toward the top of the lists and on the tip of peoples tongues for the majority of the season. Even when they haven't played anyone or done anything. Then, when/if a loss does come, they never fall very far regardless of how well a Pre Season unranked team has done. There shouldn't be any rating until about week 8. When teams have played a bit of their conference schedule and there's enough film and on paper to truly see what you've got in a football team. How the hell should anybody be ranked based on how good we "think" they "might" be? It's always been done this way and it's dumb. It's all a big hype machine and usually a lot of the hype surrounds the SEC. Last year was a great example.

Ranking teams before a game has been played is bad... but ranking teams before they even practice one time... COME ON!! They could at least wait a little closer to the season, jiminy christmas.

It's the coaches poll. They don't watch other teams practice, their opinion wouldn't change if it was 3 weeks ago compared to a week before the season. They are focused on themselves right now.

I wasn't suggesting that the coaches would watch practice. I was thinking more along the lines of a team being decimated by injuries, departures, dismissals, etc. What's the rush? I would personally like to see the first poll after about week 4 and the end of non-conference play (end of non-conference play for everyone except for the SEC of course, they always save a FCS game for November).

I don't think it has as much impact because the playoff poll doesn't come out for several weeks after games are played where the committee has an opportunity to assess a teams real value. not perceived like the media polls.

But I agree that preseason polls are stupid. At least for a top 25. Last year, 10 teams that started un-ranked in the preseason finished ranked. 4 in the top 15. 3 Top 10 teams finished 23, NR, NR.

It is really just a guessing game.

Why does it have to be any more than that? It gives people something to talk about. Why doesn't the initial poll have to be spot on?

It's not like the old BCS where a team beats the #4 school but that #4 team went on to go 7-5, the team that won still got credit for beating the #4 team.

The playoff committee isn't that dumb. (I hope). I would guess that they understand that South Carolina really wasn't that good last year so beating them didn't mean as much as the BCS would have emphasized.

It doesn't have to be more than that. I just hate all of the SEC talk this time of year regarding the polls and I always want the Huskers to be ranked.

There's a lot of real shakeup in all those polls from the AP-Preseason to final AP, then the initial CFP Poll to the final. I was trying to look for some trends. Someone smarter than me could look if they wanted, but the one that jumps out to me is LSU's preseason ranking at 13, slowly moving up to #8 until about week 7 when they've lost to Miss St. and Auburn. Suddenly LSU drops completely out of the poll and Miss St. and Auburn are the #2 and #3 team in the country.

I think LSU's preseason respect really vaulted some teams higher into the ratings after they beat them.

Why does it have to be any more than that? It gives people something to talk about. Why does the initial poll have to be spot on?

It doesn't need to be spot on. I don't think anyone has even said that.

The point is, why do it at all? Wait until some football is played, then rank the teams.

It's really very logical.

The point is, why do it at all? Wait until some football is played, then rank the teams.

Exactly. The problem is that the preseason rankings follow the team into the season before one snap is played. It's fun for talking about but stupid is all other ways.

We already have 25 hits on this thread, that is all it is about. Media having a story that gets hits.

Now if Nebraska was in the top 5, it would be the greatest idea in the world, and you guys know that is true.

I like the idea of this team not being respected, the staff not respected. You have to play the games, win and the rankings magically appear.

More for fun than anything.

• Fire 2

So wait until after some football? After what - 3-4 weeks? So Nebraska and 90% of the rest of the teams listed in this poll will have beat a boatload of patsy's and the poll would be almost identical with almost everyone in the top 25 being 3-0? The main difference is you'd have even more SEC teams ranked higher because they are smart enough to schedule early conference games - which will carry a lot more weight than beating South Dakota St in a poll - and a loss won't move them a bit since losing to LSU is about equal to beating McNeese State with a late TD in the 4th quarter.

• Fire 1