Fall Camp Notes

Did anybody else hear that Tommy Armstrong was not allowed to call his own audibles until the Holiday Bowl last year?

That was news to me.

Curious where you saw this. If he wasn't audibling, he - and the rest of the team - did a great job of making it look like he was audibling on many occasions.

I agree. I always thought he was audibling.

http://www.theticketfm.com/drop-the-mike/dan-hoppen-husker-online-5/

Eh, I think saying that was the first time he could audible is over-selling what Armstrong said. That's what the studio guy said but I didn't get that from what Armstrong said. Sounds like he was definitely given more freedom for the bowl game but I don't think that means he was never allowed to before, necessarily. Just not as much.

105 Man Roster - Defense

DT - Scholarship: Maliek Collins, Vincent Valentine, Kevin Williams, Kevin Maurice, Khalil Davis, Carlos Davis, Peyton Newell, Mick Stoltenberg; Walkon: Logan Rath

DE - Scholarship: Greg McMullen, Jack Gangwish, Freedom Akinmoladun, Joe Keels, A.J. Natter, DaiShon Neal, Sedrick King, Alex Davis; Walkon: Ross Dzuris, Dylan Owen

LB - Scholarship: Josh Banderas, Michael Rose-Ivey, Marcus Newby, Dedrick Young, Luke Gifford, Mohamed Barry, Tyrin Ferguson, Adrienne Talan; Walkon: Noah Lazaro, Chris Weber, Brad Simpson

CB - Scholarship: Daniel Davie, Jonathan Rose, Trai Mosley, Joshua Kalu, Chris Jones, Eric Lee, Avery Anderson, Boaz Joseph

S - Scholarship: Nathan Gerry, Byerson Cockrell, Aaron Williams, Kieron Williams, Charles Jackson, Antonio Reed; Walkon: Anthony Ridder, Creighton Koley

Thanks. The reason I asked is I wanted to know what Walkons they brought in.

Sounds like the defense totally shut down the offense during most of the scrimmage portion of practice. Doesn't sound like the offense could do much if anything for the last 45 minutes of practice. In particular, Collins sounds like he almost single-handedly blew up a bunch of plays, especially third-and-long type situations.

The Huskers have been installing plays each of the days, which can be a taxing mental exercise.

"It's good to look back on all four installs just because we put them all in four days in a row," said Armstrong, the projected starter.
He said there hasn't been much time for review.
Husker offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf said he would like to see more overall consistency, and more completions on deep passes.
"We're overthrowing guys here and there when they beat their (defensive backs) one-on-one," Armstrong said. "When there are plays to be made, we have to make sure we deliver the ball."

Wide receiver Lane Hovey had noticed something that brings excitement to the wide receiver group.

“It seems like there are just more pass plays in general,” Hovey said. “I’m not sure what the percentages will be by game plan, but it just seems like we’re throwing the ball a lot, which is exciting for us.”
Hovey, a junior from Adel, Iowa, said he has been playing at each of the wide receiver spots, as have most of the others in the group. The receivers can be grouped in lots of different ways.
“I think that’s something that in the past Coach (Mike) Riley has been known for doing is having a lot of different packages, and stuff like that, because that just adds another layer that the defense has to know and focus on,” Hovey said.

LJS

It seems a bit odd that Snyders name has not been mentioned at all.

I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it. I haven't seen him mentioned at all.

Of course, the only one I had seen mentioned was Carter until tonight when Trey Foster got a nod for a nice catch.

105 Man Roster - Offense

QB - Scholarship: Tommy Armstrong, Zack Darlington, A.J. Bush, Ryker Fyfe; Walkon:Tyson Broekemeier

RB - Scholarship: Terrell Newby, Adam Taylor, Imani Cross, Mikale Wilbon, Jordan Stevenson, Devine Ozigbo; Walkon: Jordan Nelson, Graham Nabity

FB - Walkon: Andy Janovich, Harrison Jordan

WR - Scholarship: Jordan Westerkamp, De'Mornay Pierson-El, Brandon Reilly, Jamal Turner, Sam Burtch, Alonzo Moore, Stanley Morgan, Taariq Allen, Lavan Alston; Walkon: Lane Hovey, Brady Pelzer, Gabe Rahn

TE - Scholarship: Cethan Carter, Sam Cotton, Matt Snyder, David Sutton; Walkon: Luke McNitt, Trey Foster

OT - Scholarship: Alex Lewis, Zach Sterup, Matt Finnin, David Knevel, Nick Gates, Christian Gaylord

OG - Scholarship: Corey Whitaker, Chongo Kondolo, Givens Price, Zach Hannon, Tanner Farmer, Jerald Foster, Jalin Barnett, Michael Decker; Walkon: Dylan Utter, Chris Long

C - Scholarship: Ryne Reeves, Paul Thurston

I know janovich started as a walk on but I thought he was put on scholarship, wonder why he's listed as a walk on while a guy like Fyfe isn't