Fall Camp Notes

Tons of work initially on the passing game. With the BTN watching and the QB's throwing picks.

Next day Mike is like "ok, today we're going to run some triple option (which I've never called in my coaching lifetime omg wtf am I doing)".

Early games this year might be a bit, interesting.

• Fire 1

I would guess this is out of a shotgun split backs. Zone read look to the one back then run the option the other way with the other back.

I like that look. I think we've run it a few times here and there over the last few years.

Didn't do it enough. I love the zone read in two back sets. Much more difficult to defend. I think Oregon and Auburn does a lot of this and it is a blast to watch.

• Fire 1

Riley tells coaches to remind players to not bring ball carriers to the ground during contact drills.

“We have to practice fast and be physical, but we have to tell the guys to get into position and don’t finish,” he says. “There were a couple of times last night when somebody almost hurt somebody tackling. One of the worst things is when guys get frustrated and shove guys at the end of a play. A lot of times there’s friendly fire, and that’s when hamstrings can go. Be very demanding on how they practice.”

Link

We've heard a lot about the pass installation so far, I'm interested to hear how the run game installation looks. That will be our bread and butter this year.

I realize they've only been full pads for one day and it's probably more interesting for reporters to talk about the QB.

Somewhere I saw that Langsdorf said that he only has maybe 4-5 basic run plays in his offense. At first, I went...WTF???? Then I stopped and thought about it. Maybe he meant there would be 4-5 basic runs but he could run those out of multiple formations. That's similar to what TO did. Same play but the defense is looking at different formations before the play.

That would be correct.

So, if that's the case, I could see them installing the passing first. With that, they are going to be learning the formations and the pass plays that can be out of them. THEN, it would be easier to install the running plays out of the same formations.

They have to keep things simple for everyone, a handful of running plays is plenty if there are several formations. Wiscy does this as well for example. As for the all the passing, I'm almost positive Riley is trying to see what the QBs are capable of and will structure the passing game around it.

• Fire 1

Riley tells coaches to remind players to not bring ball carriers to the ground during contact drills.

“We have to practice fast and be physical, but we have to tell the guys to get into position and don’t finish,” he says. “There were a couple of times last night when somebody almost hurt somebody tackling. One of the worst things is when guys get frustrated and shove guys at the end of a play. A lot of times there’s friendly fire, and that’s when hamstrings can go. Be very demanding on how they practice.”

Link

Was waiting for this to be a topic of discussion. Predicted it would be a pretty common thing under Riley.

I would guess this is out of a shotgun split backs. Zone read look to the one back then run the option the other way with the other back.

I like that look. I think we've run it a few times here and there over the last few years.

There's a tiny clip of them practicing some option from Tuesday's practice at the 15 second mark on this video.

http://studio.omaha.com/?ndn.trackingGroup=91341&ndn.siteSection=omahawh_spt_ncaa_sec&ndn.videoId=29527999&freewheel=91341&sitesection=omahawh_spt_ncaa_sec&vid=29527999

• Fire 1

Link

Was waiting for this to be a topic of discussion. Predicted it would be a pretty common thing under Riley.

Yeah, I don't have an issue with it. And I think it's a lot more common now-a-days that people like to admit.

Wow. That seems odd. Sounded like he was in the mix at OG.

Woah. That was definitely unexpected. Didn't he play a fair amount last year and was part of the backup group that many felt outplayed the starters?

What that tells you is that Price is most likely not getting on the field at O-line this year. He has been passed up. But he may get some time at DT. I have my doubts, but you never know. He seems like a really nice bright young man, and will be very successful in life. I am not sure his motor runs real hot though.

Link

Yeah, I don't have an issue with it. And I think it's a lot more common now-a-days that people like to admit.

The ESPN CFB Podcast talked about this. They said that a large majority of teams are doing this now after a spike in pre-season injuries 5-7 years ago. Since kids are coming to camp in much better shape than the past, many schools have done away with 2-a-days and full contact practices to minimize injuries.

Wow. That seems odd. Sounded like he was in the mix at OG.

Woah. That was definitely unexpected. Didn't he play a fair amount last year and was part of the backup group that many felt outplayed the starters?

What that tells you is that Price is most likely not getting on the field at O-line this year. He has been passed up. But he may get some time at DT. I have my doubts, but you never know. He seems like a really nice bright young man, and will be very successful in life. I am not sure his motor runs real hot though.

That didn't seem to be the case from what we were hearing out of practice.

Plus, we have three starters already at DT. chuckleshuffle