Fall Camp Notes

I know janovich started as a walk on but I thought he was put on scholarship, wonder why he's listed as a walk on while a guy like Fyfe isn't

As far as I know, Janovich is not on scholarship. Fyfe was last year, though his status for this year seems to be in question.
huskers.com says he received a scholarship prior to his sophomore year, maybe it was just for the season
  • Fire 1

I know janovich started as a walk on but I thought he was put on scholarship, wonder why he's listed as a walk on while a guy like Fyfe isn't

As far as I know, Janovich is not on scholarship. Fyfe was last year, though his status for this year seems to be in question.
huskers.com says he received a scholarship prior to his sophomore year, maybe it was just for the season

Did some checking and you're right. I'll get it updated. Thanks.

“There’s so many times in practice where you maybe think you have the tackle — and you’re confident you have the position — but you don’t really know until you get the chance to finish,” Riley said. “You always play the fine line between scrimmaging, risk of injury, and all that. But you have to do it once in awhile. Otherwise, you go into the first game and you haven’t tackled live enough.”

I'm a fan of this philosophy and Riley's openness.
  • Fire 2

Severe knows something.

My guess is Cross might leave?

I dont really see a huge logjam at DL.. Lots of talent but think guys will be graduating and they run a rotation a bit.

Cross ain't going anywhere. He is a senior and its a little late to leave.

I think he meant the odd man out between Wilbon, Stephenson, and Taylor.

Severe knows something.

My guess is Cross might leave?

I dont really see a huge logjam at DL.. Lots of talent but think guys will be graduating and they run a rotation a bit.

Cross ain't going anywhere. He is a senior and its a little late to leave.

I think he meant the odd man out between Wilbon, Stephenson, and Taylor.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is leaving at this point. But could be some attrition after everyone sees where they fall this season.

I'm not sure about his comments on the line. We have a lot of questions marks among the younger guys on the DLine and we lose six seniors on the OLine so there will be some spots available.

What side of the ball is buying into Coach Mike Riley’s program the most, the defense or offense? – Rodney Rienfeld

Both sides seem to be buying in, but I think the defense is ahead of the offense. Defensive coordinator Mark Banker has simplified things, which should help players think less and react more. Banker told me he likes his unit up the middle. Led by Maliek Collins, the tackles are strong. And Josh Banderas is a good middle linebacker. SS Nate Gerry is a future pro.

BTN Mailbag

We've heard a lot about the pass installation so far, I'm interested to hear how the run game installation looks. That will be our bread and butter this year.

I realize they've only been full pads for one day and it's probably more interesting for reporters to talk about the QB.

Somewhere I saw that Langsdorf said that he only has maybe 4-5 basic run plays in his offense. At first, I went...WTF???? Then I stopped and thought about it. Maybe he meant there would be 4-5 basic runs but he could run those out of multiple formations. That's similar to what TO did. Same play but the defense is looking at different formations before the play.

• Fire 1

We've heard a lot about the pass installation so far, I'm interested to hear how the run game installation looks. That will be our bread and butter this year.

I realize they've only been full pads for one day and it's probably more interesting for reporters to talk about the QB.

Somewhere I saw that Langsdorf said that he only has maybe 4-5 basic run plays in his offense. At first, I went...WTF???? Then I stopped and thought about it. Maybe he meant there would be 4-5 basic runs but he could run those out of multiple formations. That's similar to what TO did. Same play but the defense is looking at different formations before the play.

That would be correct.

That would be correct.

So, if that's the case, I could see them installing the passing first. With that, they are going to be learning the formations and the pass plays that can be out of them. THEN, it would be easier to install the running plays out of the same formations.