Camping Out: Wide Receivers and Tight Ends

Wide receivers/tight ends/H-backs/fullbacks: We'll start with the last two groups first: Andy Janovich, Luke McNitt and Harrison Jordan are all decent players in that spot, both as in-line blockers on certain pass plays, lead blockers and occasional pass receivers. At wideout, a position Mike Riley likes a lot, Brandon Reilly, De'Mornay Pierson-El and Jordan Westerkamp are the top three, with Alonzo Moore, Jamal Turner and Lane Hovey in the next group. Sam Burtch is dinged up again, as Taariq Allen might be, too after Sunday night. (Riley has to address injuries on Tuesday.) Among freshmen, Stanley Morgan is ahead of Lavan Alston because of his polish and better hands, but Alston will be a factor down the road as a speedster. Reilly has had the best camp of any wideout, but hasn't always been rewarded for it with good throws. Westerkamp continues to catch most passes thrown his way and be a favorite target of Armstrong's.

At tight end, Cethan Carter looks quick and athletic, presents a good target and should have a robust season. There hasn't been a ton of separation between Sam Cotton, David Sutton and Trey Foster. Foster actually had a nice practice on Sunday night.

Link

• Fire 1

Still not even a mention of Snyder......

Man, Snyder must suck. He should be cut.

Not sure why that comment had to be completely blown out of proportion.

It was just noted yesterday that no one had heard Snyder's name come up. He was thought to be one who could come in and play right away. But Sam listed four TEs and he wasn't one of them. Sutton has never played and might not even still be on the team but for a different offensive style that favors TEs while Foster is a walk on. I just find it interesting that Snyder doesn't even warrant a mention. I really thought he might even push Cotton for the #2 spot.

Still not even a mention of Snyder......

Man, Snyder must suck. He should be cut.

Not sure why that comment had to be completely blown out of proportion.

It was just noted yesterday that no one had heard Snyder's name come up. He was thought to be one who could come in and play right away. But Sam listed four TEs and he wasn't one of them. Sutton has never played and might not even still be on the team but for a different offensive style that favors TEs while Foster is a walk on. I just find it interesting that Snyder doesn't even warrant a mention. I really thought he might even push Cotton for the #2 spot.

It was a joke. I know Snyder was thought by many that he would come in and play right away as a true frosh. It still might happen, but it's only 4 days into Fall Camp.

I think most coaches have a hope that they want true freshman contributing by the start of conference play. Those true frosh can add quality depth by that time, and some can be difference makers.

Even with losing 3 scholarship guys in the offseason, this position still has a pretty solid two deep. We need 2 big bodied guys (1 of them juco) and 1-2 normal sized guys with speed in the 2016 class. We lose Allen (6-3) and Burtch (6-3) and Turner after this season. Need to replace those guys and add one more to make up a little depth for our 3 guys who left.

1. Lots of nice options at receiver.

Junior Jordan Westerkamp, junior Alonzo Moore, sophomore De’Mornay Pierson-El, senior Taariq Allen and senior Sam Burtch didn’t partake on Tuesday due to injury. None of the boo-boos is believed to be serious. In fact, Pierson-El suited up Wednesday night. This squad has some weapons on the perimeter when full loaded. Pierson-El is one of the most dynamic playmakers in the Big Ten, a true go-the-distance talent each time he touches the ball. I also like junior Brandon Reilly, a 6-1, 195-pounder who is a blazer. Could be the next Kenny Bell? Reilly may be the fastest receiver. Junior Lane Hovey (6-4, 205) is another rangy target. There isn’t a more exciting/dynamic true freshman on the roster than 6-0, 185-pound Stanley Morgan Jr. from New Orleans. He probably will figure in the rotation. “Savage,” is how Pierson-El described Morgan to me. He made several nice plays in the practices we watched. Moore looked good tonight.

BTN