Downsizing Memorial Stadium

Mavric

OK. Not by very much. Maybe a few dozen seats at the most.

A loyal reader this week pointed out what he regarded as "welcome news." That is, he received a notice from the Nebraska athletic department that seats in the North Stadium's rows 80-99 now will be 3 inches wider.

David Witty, NU's senior associate athletic director for marketing and communications, confirmed the news, saying the benches in the area "were weathered and twisted."
He said the changes in North Stadium represent one of the first examples of "improving the overall fan experience. We're looking at different ways to improve the stadium."
South Stadium also has been altered.
"We're putting in a new aisle in section 20 of the South Stadium," Witty said. "The visiting team's tickets were over there. Due to some modifications in the visiting team's ticket allotment, it allowed us to put that aisle in."
The changes obviously will affect Memorial Stadium's capacity, which officially increased from 81,091 to 87,000 in the wake of the latest expansion, before the 2013 season. The listed capacity is misleading because Nebraska's official attendance since 2013 always has been above 90,000 -- and will remain so this year, according to Witty.

LJS

Every year we get the same seats. Every year we sit in front of a family that goes to every game, yet you would think it was their first the way the seem lost about what happened on every play.

And 7 extra people seem to think cramming onto that row is a good idea rather than take their actual seat.

You mean we are so irrelevant they are now making the stadium smaller?

#fireriley

At first i thought your hashtag said #firefly and thought this was a post about bringing the TV show back.

I wonder when was the last time the seat numbers got extended on the benches... because it felt like going to fenway.. small seats made for people with butts from the 1930's.

Good thing I watch from my living room. One of my most hate things in the world ever is bein cramped in tight spaces with people all around you while trying to enjoy a football game for 3-4 hours

I once took a female friend to a game. We sat in the angled section just above the NW entry (where the tunnel walk now comes on the field). That was the ONLY time I didn't mind the extremely cramped seats. She was very good-looking, and basically sat in my lap the entire game.

• Fire 3

Good thing I watch from my living room. One of my most hate things in the world ever is bein cramped in tight spaces with people all around you while trying to enjoy a football game for 3-4 hours

I once took a female friend to a game. We sat in the angled section just above the NW entry (where the tunnel walk now comes on the field). That was the ONLY time I didn't mind the extremely cramped seats. She was very good-looking, and basically sat in my lap the entire game.

I bet that wasnt the only cramped space Knapp was in that day.

I'll see myself out.

• Fire 3