Did the real Mike Riley just stand up???

http://www.ketv.com/sports/huskers-extended-coverage/huskers-riley-confirms-5-huskers-will-be-suspended-for-season-opener/34713224

For the first time I think I just saw some heat and real football coach passion in our head man's eyes. He was serious as a heart attack when it comes to the subject of "making the right choices!!" If this is any glimpse into Mike Riley, the football coach, I think we will continue to see our academics high and off the field issues low.

Is this what the players see behind the scenes?

Check out the news clip.

• Fire 1

You know what they say. Don't mistake kindness for weakness.

A coach has to be a coach first, he's not there to be your buddy. If a coach isn't holding you accountable and keeping the standard high, he's not doing you any favors as a player. I'm not sure how it's been in recent history here, but there may be some guys who are going to have to adjust to getting away with a little bit less and being forced to work a little bit harder for what they want.

Of course, the other option as a player is, if this is not something you want to be a part of, the doors open both ways.

• Fire 1

If we could only be born with the basic premise of ....

"Actions Have Consequences". Good - bad - or indifferent.

HCMR was so true in saying players, coaches, fans and, yes, even media personnel know what's right and what the correct course of "action" should be.

Good for him.

I think anyone should be shocked that you have to explain the whole right vs wrong and what you choose effects your life. Shouldn't families be instilling that in their children. Not football Head Coaches.

But he has a great approach, no blustering rampage, just state the case and consequences. NEXT.

GBR

• Fire 2

I think anyone should be shocked that you have to explain the whole right vs wrong and what you choose effects your life. Shouldn't families be instilling that in their children. Not football Head Coaches.

But he has a great approach, no blustering rampage, just state the case and consequences. NEXT.

GBR

I almost completely agree with your post, but Right vs Wrong is a gray area for some. In the last two-three years, there was a Jon Kitna article about him coaching an intercity school in Tacoma, WA, the same high school he attended. One story he shared was how a kid's parents were upset at their son for playing football and asked him why he isn't on the streets selling drugs to make money for the family. Some just don't have a chance. His reinforcement is necessary, even though it won't stop all of them from getting into trouble.

I had a coach/teacher in high school who every Friday would stand at the door and give fist bumps to every student saying, "make good choices." He was one of the best teachers/coaches a high school kid could have.

GBR

I almost completely agree with your post, but Right vs Wrong is a gray area for some. In the last two-three years, there was a Jon Kitna article about him coaching an intercity school in Tacoma, WA, the same high school he attended. One story he shared was how a kid's parents were upset at their son for playing football and asked him why he isn't on the streets selling drugs to make money for the family. Some just don't have a chance. His reinforcement is necessary, even though it won't stop all of them from getting into trouble.

I had a coach/teacher in high school who every Friday would stand at the door and give fist bumps to every student saying, "make good choices." He was one of the best teachers/coaches a high school kid could have.

People's right and wrong is different...I for one would love to think that there are basic social norms, but that is not the case. However, if a coach goes over things and they are not followed, that is on them as a person. Hopefully they will learn from it and move onward and upward!

You can't change a kid's home life or if he has crappy parents. All you can do is try to positively affect their life in a positive manner while you have contact with them. This is true no matter who you are, not just coaches or teachers. It's amazing how someone can affect a kid's life.

Now, someone in Riley's position needs to have rules. Some of these kids aren't used to having rules. That actually isn't just the kids from poor homes. Some of these kids have been prima donnas their entire lives and as long as little Johnny can score TDs, he was allowed to do whatever he wanted because mommy and daddy could then puff their chests up and be proud. Meanwhile, they are actually doing a disservice to the kid. Perfect example is Manziel

• Fire 1