Pre-Season AP Poll

Mavric

I don't care too much, but the preseason polls are a bad thing, and they do have influence that they shouldn't.

Miss St. jumped from #12 to #3 after beating a supposedly top ranked LSU team, then was the #1 team in the country after beating supposedly #2 Auburn.

They end up in the Orange Bowl at 10-2 because of that unwarranted boost up the polls. Looking at end of season results, they beat one ranked team (Auburn #23), and lost to every ranked team they played. Their schedule was closer to Boise State's than Ohio State's.

Good find LOMS, I didn't realize this. according to the espn folk. Miss state was playoff bound if they beat Ole Miss. Just thankful the Rebels won that game. We could have had a horrible mess with 2 champs out of the playoff

Miss St wouldn't have been in the playoff if they had beat Ole Miss.

That wasn't the talk at the time.

I don't care too much, but the preseason polls are a bad thing, and they do have influence that they shouldn't.

Miss St. jumped from #12 to #3 after beating a supposedly top ranked LSU team, then was the #1 team in the country after beating supposedly #2 Auburn.

They end up in the Orange Bowl at 10-2 because of that unwarranted boost up the polls. Looking at end of season results, they beat one ranked team (Auburn #23), and lost to every ranked team they played. Their schedule was closer to Boise State's than Ohio State's.

Good find LOMS, I didn't realize this. according to the espn folk. Miss state was playoff bound if they beat Ole Miss. Just thankful the Rebels won that game. We could have had a horrible mess with 2 champs out of the playoff

That was ESPN talking about it, not the committee. ESPN talks about a lot of things that have no basis in reality.

My piece of advice is to stop listening so much to what ESPN says.

• Fire 1

That was ESPN talking about it, not the committee. ESPN talks about a lot of things that have no basis in reality.

So....tell me, what was the committee saying?

So....tell me, what was the committee saying?

Nothing. They produce their rankings at a point in time, then start over the next week when they have more information.

They had Miss St ranked 4th the week before the Ole Miss game. And TCU 5, Ohio St 6, and Baylor 7.

And based off what the committee did last year, they have no problems reshuffling the rankings after getting new information. An 11-1 Ole Miss who didn't win their division and whose resume didn't look as good at the end of the season compared to week 12 would not IMO have been ranked ahead of the other 11-1 conference champs Ohio St, TCU, or Baylor.

Key phrase.

In your opinion.

Agreed.

But what from the committee did you see last year would have led you to believe they would have taken an 11-1 Miss St over a 12-1 Ohio St or 11-1 Baylor/TCU?

Both TCU and Baylor ended up with one loss and they still didn't get into the playoffs. One thing the committee did say repeatedly is that conference champions are not guaranteed in. So, I have no problem believing there was a chance Miss State had a major chance of getting in (from the vaunted SEC West) if they would have beat Ol Miss.

Would have they? Nobody knows. But, they had a major chance of being a second SEC team in the playoffs which would have been total BS.

Key phrase.

In your opinion.

Agreed.

But what from the committee did you see last year would have led you to believe they would have taken an 11-1 Miss St over a 12-1 Ohio St or 11-1 Baylor/TCU?

Both TCU and Baylor ended up with one loss and they still didn't get into the playoffs. One thing the committee did say repeatedly is that conference champions are not guaranteed in. So, I have no problem believing there was a chance Miss State had a major chance of getting in (from the vaunted SEC West) if they would have beat Ol Miss.

Would have they? Nobody knows. But, they had a major chance of being a second SEC team in the playoffs which would have been total BS.

But the committee did make a point that being a conference champ was important when they took OSU over the wishy washy Big 12 co-champions.

And conference champs can't be guaranteed in because there are 4 spots for 5 champs.

Key phrase.

In your opinion.

Agreed.

But the committee did make a point that being a conference champ was important when they took OSU over the wishy washy Big 12 co-champions.

And conference champs can't be guaranteed in because there are 4 spots for 5 champs.

All that proves is that the scenario that played out, put OSU above them. That doesn't mean anything as to if the scenario had played out differently with the MSU vs. Ol Miss game.

If osu struggled with wisconsin, and Miss St beat Ole Miss...

I think they give the nod to Miss State.

I mean OSU got in ONLY because of 2 things.

Wisconsin smashed Nebraska giving wisconsin the appearance of being super legit. Then OSU some how smashed Wiscy.

Idk. Kinda shows how it's not total body of work either. If you are hot, and dominant late. Gunna get in. Look at FSU. They were the only unbeaten and got a 3 seed. Lol. The concept of that blows my mind.

To expand. I think logically it should have been

1. FSU

2. OREGON (they avenged their only loss, no one else did)

3. Bama

4. Baylor. (Loss to west VA better than osu's VA tech)

TCU should have never been ahead of Baylor due to head to head. Ohio state had the worst loss of anyone and just lost a starting qb.

To me the playoff failed in the selection process last year.

1. FSU

3. Bama

TCU should have never been ahead of Baylor due to head to head. Ohio state had the worst loss of anyone and just lost a starting qb.

FSU was he luckiest team in the country last year, could have easily lost 3+ regular season games. Their F+ W/L was like 8-4 or 7-5. Oregon did avenge their home loss to Arizona, and Bama gets in by default because #SEC. Baylor shouldn't have had a chance because of that putrid OOC schedule. The Buckeyes were clearly a better team in November than in week 2, and their 59-0 pasting of a top 15 Wisconsin proved they deserved a shot.

1. FSU

3. Bama

And thus the problem with a four-team playoff. The team that was far and away the best team at the end of the year is left out because of a slip-up at the beginning of the year after losing their starting QB in camp. We're stuck trying to compare wins and losses with basically no common opponents.

I don't think it failed. It just didn't agree with your opinion.

• Fire 2

I just don't see a dominant SEC team this year like Alabalama has been in the past 5. There's a lot of parity which could likely lead to the SEC champ having 2 losses. Also considering the cross over games this year has UGa vs Bama and UGa vs Auburn plus Bama vs a rising Tenn team. These match ups could will throw an extra loss in there for the SEC top dogs that haven't been there in the past. Bama was fortunate to have some easy crossovers during their run (Tenn down years, Vandy, Missouri, UF down years).

If Bama, UGa or Auburn have less than 2 losses each I will be surprised. This will open the door for other P5 champs IF they have 1 or no losses or maybe a non champ with 1 loss like Mich State