Democratic Election Thread

Are you seriously trying to equate a message on a football message board with comments made in public speeches by somebody running for public office?

Hold on...are you saying that sometimes people act differently in different situations? That perhaps sometimes people are playing a bit of a part to get a reaction?
I'm not playing a part when I call him an idiot and I'm not asking for anyone's vote to become President of the US and represent the entire country.

Saying that, if I offended all of the low IQ people of the world by associating them somehow with Trump....I greatly apologize.

Your attempt at whatever you are trying to accomplish is an epic fail.

EDIT:

Actually, I probably was wrong for calling him an idiot. I actually think he must be pretty smart. How else could someone be the person he is where he changes what he says constantly and puts himself out to the public in the manner he has and so many people fall all over him...

Thank you for pointing out my error.

And that was exactly my point! He is playing a part so that he can accomplish his goal. He is saying what he thinks he needs to say.

I did not mean that you were playing a part. I was talking about Trump. His actions are probably pretty calculated and it seems to be working.

So no, I was not calling you out or anything like that.

With that said...he might not be playing a part...I could be totally wrong.

OK...sorry if I got defensive.

So, if you are correct, you have a group of people who like him because he says exactly what's on his mind and they love that because they are tired of politicians who always try to say the right things to get our votes...but....meanwhile, he is just playing an act to garner their votes.

Are you seriously trying to equate a message on a football message board with comments made in public speeches by somebody running for public office?

Hold on...are you saying that sometimes people act differently in different situations? That perhaps sometimes people are playing a bit of a part to get a reaction?
I'm not playing a part when I call him an idiot and I'm not asking for anyone's vote to become President of the US and represent the entire country.

Saying that, if I offended all of the low IQ people of the world by associating them somehow with Trump....I greatly apologize.

EDIT:

Actually, I probably was wrong for calling him an idiot. I actually think he must be pretty smart. How else could someone be the person he is where he changes what he says constantly and puts himself out to the public in the manner he has and so many people fall all over him...

And that was exactly my point! He is playing a part so that he can accomplish his goal. He is saying what he thinks he needs to say.

I did not mean that you were playing a part. I was talking about Trump. His actions are probably pretty calculated and it seems to be working.

So, if you are correct, you have a group of people who like him because he says exactly what's on his mind and they love that because they are tired of politicians who always try to say the right things to get our votes...but....meanwhile, he is just playing an act to garner their votes.

No problem at all! I like your posts!

Yeah...I think he has some (maybe a lot) of people fooled. Now, that doesn't mean that I think he is a moron or anything like that...I think he has a plan to win. Like the kid in school that baked cookies to win a student council election or promised "longer lunches and better food in the cafeteria"

I think Trumps game plan is about getting attention...from that there will be votes...I think his thought process is "win first...figure out how to fix things later" because if he isn't elected it doesn't matter anyway.

I also think that most of us say what we need to...so that we can get what we want.

• Fire 1

Welp, after last nite--Super Tue 3/15--it appears that the Bern just isn't going to get over the hump on this thing. Hillary is just too established and basically owns the minority vote. Too bad Trumpf's blue collar white guys don't wake up and smell the coffee and realize that Bernie is their working class champion and not the fascist Trumpf--it's really too bad. Otherwise, Bernie could win this thing. Bernie's message is prolly just a bit too "rad" for Mur'ca at this time, though the Bernie Youth of today may take it into the future.

Welp, after last nite--Super Tue 3/15--it appears that the Bern just isn't going to get over the hump on this thing. Hillary is just too established and basically owns the minority vote. Too bad Trumpf's blue collar white guys don't wake up and smell the coffee and realize that Bernie is their working class champion and not the fascist Trumpf--it's really too bad. Otherwise, Bernie could win this thing. Bernie's message is prolly just a bit too "rad" for Mur'ca at this time, though the Bernie Youth of today may take it into the future.

So you are saying that you are for the further "fundamental transformation of the United States of America" lead by the free lunch society.

EDIT:

No problem at all! I like your posts!

Yeah...I think he has some (maybe a lot) of people fooled. Now, that doesn't mean that I think he is a moron or anything like that...I think he has a plan to win. Like the kid in school that baked cookies to win a student council election or promised "longer lunches and better food in the cafeteria"

I think Trumps game plan is about getting attention...from that there will be votes...I think his thought process is "win first...figure out how to fix things later" because if he isn't elected it doesn't matter anyway.

I also think that most of us say what we need to...so that we can get what we want.

Trump is likely very sharp when it comes to managing his media relations and maintaining near consistent coverage. One of the best. It's frustratingly transparent when he says another controversial thing or does something typically politically idiotic in order to cook up a fresh batch of headlines.

I feel like he's very much wet behind the ears when it comes to political savvy and general knowledge. When he's in the process of milking the media for more attention, I feel like he often ends up creating legitimate firestorms for himself that negatively affect him with populations outside his base. An example would be the Duke-KKK slipup, the Mexicans are rapists gaffe, mocking McCain, or calling for war crimes. He's not used to having to filter himself, and I don't think he fully understands that statements like those actually tangibly influences voting blocs outside his own, and doesn't really grasp he's hurting himself. He's playing the short game, generating attention while damaging himself in the long-term.

CNN ran a story about how Hispanic voters are registering in record numbers this year expressly to vote against him.

He's systematically isolating so many important voting blocs he's setting himself up for near-certain failure because he going to just get massacred in those groups.

Teach, the only problem with him saying and doing whatever he needs to do to get votes is that he's not adopting strong, concrete positions, and pointing out how flip-floppy he is down the road on KEY issues can hurt him.

BRB, if you want a generalization of Trump supporters (or at least the people at his rallies), it's anecdotal, but here's a starting points:

Florida Man Goes Undercover at a Trump Rally

I Attended Trump's Rally in Kansas City Last Night. Here's What I Witnessed.

I pretended to be a Trump supporter to infiltrate his Chicago rally

BRB, if you want a generalization of Trump supporters (or at least the people at his rallies), it's anecdotal, but here's a starting points:

Thanks for the links.

I tried reading the first one and just couldn't. His very clear preconceived ideas show me that I'm not going to be able to trust his opinion.

Thanks for the links.

I tried reading the first one and just couldn't. His very clear preconceived ideas show me that I'm not going to be able to trust his opinion.

If you're going to read these, you've got to be OK with the massive liberal filter.

What's sad is I've seen nothing from the media (and I've got no other sources to work with) to dispel their portrayal of Trump supporters.

Thanks for the links.

If you're going to read these, you've got to be OK with the massive liberal filter.

What's sad is I've seen nothing from the media (and I've got no other sources to work with) to dispel their portrayal of Trump supporters.

That is like me listening to people who claim Bernie supporters are all a bunch of free loading college students that want free tuition. Hey, I haven't read a story from the media telling me different.

All I'm saying is I would prefer to see a source a little more objective.

Free tuition is a great thing that enables better opportunities and more innovation -- and not just for the poor. Students tend to graduate under a mountain of debt that they spend what could be the most productive years of postgraduate growth under considerable financial strain. Many surmount it; many more are not able to and their ultimate productivity potential is crippled. These are not good outcomes for the country.

These are ideas that have been floated around before, but it's far enough away from the present reality that it would practically take a lot of time to get there. I'm not endorsing Bernie's platform, to be clear, and I don't think it's likely he would be able to come close to implementing it even if he gets 8 years.

What I do want to say is that often in discussions that are about opening up access to opportunity, it's suggested that we should be more worried about the ones who will cheat the system (the food stamp recipients who buy shrimp, the horror!) than the greater number who will benefit from mitigated barriers. This is investing in the human capital of America's future; human capital that is being held back more than helped along by existing institutional weight.

Free tuition is a great thing that enables better opportunities and more innovation -- and not just for the poor. Students tend to graduate under a mountain of debt that they spend what could be the most productive years of postgraduate growth under considerable financial strain. Many surmount it; many more are not able to and their ultimate productivity potential is crippled. These are not good outcomes for the country.

These are ideas that have been floated around before, but it's far enough away from the present reality that it would practically take a lot of time to get there. I'm not endorsing Bernie's platform, to be clear, and I don't think it's likely he would be able to come close to implementing it even if he gets 8 years.

What I do want to say is that often in discussions that are about opening up access to opportunity, it's suggested that we should be more worried about the ones who will cheat the system (the food stamp recipients who buy shrimp, the horror!) than the greater number who will benefit from mitigated barriers. This is investing in the human capital of America's future; human capital that is being held back more than helped along by existing institutional weight.

Ummmm.....my post really didn't have anything to do with that.

Yeah, I'm sorry. I just wanted to say a bit about the free tuition proposal since it was mentioned. I know it's a little tangential, but it is one of the things the Sanders campaign has brought to the fore in 2016 -- and I think it's a positive. I read a few of the quoted posts but I haven't followed that line of discussion back all the way, so please excuse me; carry on :D

BRB, Zoogs and Cornographic both correctly surmised (and science has backed it up) that the strongest predictor for Trump supporters is craving for authoritarian tendencies. I guess I'll just leave our halfway fleshed-out model of his supporters there, for the time being.

Here's CNN story on Mexican immigrants voting against Trump. The biggest takeaway is that naturalization applications jumped 14.5% from June to December.

Ironically, he's led to a spike in the number of people seeking full citizenship. And they're turning out to crush him at the polls.

• 4 weeks later...