Democratic Election Thread

I think that pretty much sums up why I cannot understand Cruz and his Tea Party fellows' stratagem, or that of Sanders to flush out the Republicans and the Democrats who aren't far enough left to support his plans. I do not think the endgoal should be to wipe out the people who disagree with you. I think it's much more effective to engage them, critically evaluate their position and where your own may be weak, and find some middle ground for the good of everyone.

As much as I openly think Clinton is the best and only acceptable choice at this point, she herself is definitely guilty of vilifying the Republicans. She's running against them as much as she is running for the Democrats. I can't say I blame her, given all the sh#t she's had shoveled at her from the other side of the aisle through the years.

But that shouldn't be how we strive to operate our government. I'm firm in my belief of that.

You just summed up the tea party and now Sanders supporters.

When the tea party came to be, for some reason these people think that everyone who doesn't agree with everything they agree with needs to be eradicated from everywhere because those people obviously have a hidden agenda to destroying America.

Now, we see that same characteristic in the Trump followers but it's been ramped up. Now, under Trump, it's OK to be violent against people who you disagree with.

Like all people that show up to Trump's rallies and punch old men, pepper spray children, and beat people for having a differing opinion?

There are plenty of violent idiots in support of Trump, for sure, but lets not pretend it doesn't go the other way as well.

I think that pretty much sums up why I cannot understand Cruz and his Tea Party fellows' stratagem, or that of Sanders to flush out the Republicans and the Democrats who aren't far enough left to support his plans. I do not think the endgoal should be to wipe out the people who disagree with you. I think it's much more effective to engage them, critically evaluate their position and where your own may be weak, and find some middle ground for the good of everyone.

As much as I openly think Clinton is the best and only acceptable choice at this point, she herself is definitely guilty of vilifying the Republicans. She's running against them as much as she is running for the Democrats. I can't say I blame her, given all the sh#t she's had shoveled at her from the other side of the aisle through the years.

But that shouldn't be how we strive to operate our government. I'm firm in my belief of that.

You just summed up the tea party and now Sanders supporters.

When the tea party came to be, for some reason these people think that everyone who doesn't agree with everything they agree with needs to be eradicated from everywhere because those people obviously have a hidden agenda to destroying America.

Now, we see that same characteristic in the Trump followers but it's been ramped up. Now, under Trump, it's OK to be violent against people who you disagree with.

Like all people that show up to Trump's rallies and punch old men, pepper spray children, and beat people for having a differing opinion?

There are plenty of violent idiots in support of Trump, for sure, but lets not pretend it doesn't go the other way as well.

True....the Bernie supporters are not innocent bystanders.

I think Bernie supporters get a bad rap because so many of them are young and very passionate, but they aren't well versed in how politics should work. Populism as a whole tends to try to shame those who don't get on board. "The other" become, as you said, BRB, people with a hidden agenda who clearly have nefarious ulterior motives. It can easily become a cult of personality where it's common fare to demonize those not for your candidate.

It's kind of interesting to watch the reactions when they realize they're a vocal minority. It's already happening for Sanders supporters, and I'm very much hoping Trump supporters will follow suit.

But the whole mindset of "We need to flush out those who disagree so we can actually enact our policies, which are clearly correct" is alarming.

Sanders literally wants to replace Republicans and moderate Dems in Congress with far left progressives. It's the only way his policies have a snowball's chance in hell of happening. Trump would need to somehow replace all of Congress with his lackeys to get his stuff done.

To shift the paradigm that far from balanced worries me.

• Fire 1

Something just plain wrong about this - I don't care who the candidate is. Justice dept employees supporting/contributing to Hillary when there is an active investigation in process.

I'd say the same thing if it was Ronald Reagan. The justice dept should be politics neutral but as we all know, it is one of if not the most political of all agencies (think Nixon and John Mitchell).

Under this administration the justice dept is used for social engineering and enforcing politically correct rules on states as evident in yesterday's back and forth wt NC.

Sanders literally wants to replace Republicans and moderate Dems in Congress with far left progressives. It's the only way his policies have a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

I don't understand the problem. I think he needs to be flexible and willing to compromise with whatever Congress he ends up with but I have no problem with him encouraging voters to elect congressmen that support his policies. What he's doing is really not any different than Obama encouraging voters to vote for Democrats or GWB encouraging voters to vote for Republicans so they can pass the legislation they most strongly agree with.

• Fire 1

Something just plain wrong about this - I don't care who the candidate is. Justice dept employees supporting/contributing to Hillary when there is an active investigation in process.

I'd say the same thing if it was Ronald Reagan. The justice dept should be politics neutral but as we all know, it is one of if not the most political of all agencies (think Nixon and John Mitchell).

Under this administration the justice dept is used for social engineering and enforcing politically correct rules on states as evident in yesterday's back and forth wt NC.

Private citizens, who happen to claim they work at the Justice Dept., donated to her campaign. Should public school teachers not be able to donate to a campaign? They should be politic neutral. What about police and firemen? Soldiers?

I am not surprised that people who are paid by the federal government would support a party/candidate that doesn't see "shutting the federal government down" as a negotiating tool.

Sanders goes hard after Clinton. His WV victory has embolden him as he says Clinton would be a disaster for the party and the nation (sounds like Cruz's words against Trump)

Realistically, I don't see how Sanders can stop Clinton wt those super delegates - outside of the FBI formally charging Clinton on the email scandal. Even wt that, Clinton supports see no evil, hear no evil.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/11/sanders-nominating-clinton-would-be-disaster/

FYI, TGH, that was written by Jeff Weaver, Sanders' campaign manager. He's universally known by Clinton supporters as kind of a douche, and he's one that knows his political career goes only as far as Sanders'. He was running a comic book shop back home in Vermont before Sanders enlisted him at the start of his campaign. Point is, Jeff Weaver is one of the guys who bears no goodwill towards the Democratic party in general. He's all about Sanders and Sanders alone. Doesn't surprise me he'd put out something like that... he's said many things of similar ilk over the course of this primary.

Interesting tidbit here. Sanders would've been defeated soundly in WV if not for crossover Trump voters. Places are estimating up to 39% of Sanders voters will support Trump in the fall.

I go back and forth between Sanders staying in through the convention and dropping out now. Shenanigans like this make me lean towards wishing he'd go away sooner rather than later.

Maybe it will be Clinton limping into the convention and hoping to avoid a convention melt down. Joe Biden, get your running shoes out of the closet.

Clinton Mess # 1 Foundation money to FWB

http://nypost.com/2016/05/13/clinton-charity-gave-2m-to-company-owned-by-bills-friend/

Clinton Mess # 2 Will Clinton be forced out

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/279701-boehner-talks-cruz-trump-at-salt-conference

Clinton Mess # 3 - Internet Trolls - no surprise here.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/04/22/pro-hillary-pac-spending-1-million-to-hire-online-trolls/

Maybe it will be Clinton limping into the convention and hoping to avoid a convention melt down. Joe Biden, get your running shoes out of the closet.

Clinton Mess # 1 Foundation money to FWB

http://nypost.com/2016/05/13/clinton-charity-gave-2m-to-company-owned-by-bills-friend/

Clinton Mess # 2 Will Clinton be forced out

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/279701-boehner-talks-cruz-trump-at-salt-conference

Clinton Mess # 3 - Internet Trolls - no surprise here.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/04/22/pro-hillary-pac-spending-1-million-to-hire-online-trolls/

You've been posting this stuff for months with this amusing, child-like hope that Clinton is just going to magically disappear.

• Fire 2