Again is Sam being overly negative about this team?

NUinID

Offensive line was better than some want to credit. Armstrong often had plenty of time to make decisions, which tended to convince him to go the deep route. The running game was outstanding in some games, and in some individual quarters, but not when the passing game was off. Armstrong and Ameer didn't have the luxury of a great offensive line, like Husker fans once felt entitled to, but we had teamwide execution issues, especially in our inability to make in-game adjustments. Not entirely an OL issue there.

McKeown is probably like a lot of us. He loves the team. You can have as much hope as you want, but caution is always advised. One weak link in the offensive line can kill the whole deal. A great defensive line can't carry a suspect defensive secondary. A quarterback who sparks to a new system can be a revelation, but if it makes him lose his mojo, it's back to square one. Still too many unknowns, and too many people wanting to pencil us in for the CCG.

I like football. I'm really looking forward to Saturday.

• Fire 3

I listened to the McKewon-Nyatawa podcast from last week. The big reason for Sam's concerns on offense relates to the O-line. Other than Alex Lewis there is not much experience in the guys who are projected in starting. Sam said that Ameer made the o-line look pretty good last year, with the runs he was able to make. Ameer was able to make the first guy miss so many times last year, especially when there was penetration in the back field. There simply isn't that type of talent at RB this year, which will make the O-line better. Due to that fact, Sam sees the offense struggling.

He's exactly right.

Really?

I don't know if this is against board policy to link to another board but this is an article from a very well respected elevator of talent. He thinks the line will be better than last year. He sees it as addiction by subtraction.

http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/content.php?933-Pernell-Nebraska-Position-Preview-Offensive-Line

I don't disagree.

They could be a much better group than last hear. I'm just kind of in wait and see mode with the offensive line. This is a group with a lot to prove. I like the sound of Reeves, Kondolo, Utter and Gates. New faces will can't be a bad thing right? Not when you consider the guys they're replacing.

Our recruiting has averaged somewhere in the upper 20s to low 30s over the last 4 recruiting cycles, not to mention post season polls which put Nebraska at roughly the same spot as our recruiting rankings would predict, indicate that Sam is right when he says this team does not have top-15 talent. They don't.

If Nebraska had to play in the SEC West they would likely go 6-6 or 7-5. We would struggle to beat LSU, Alabama, Auburn and TAMU. They'd probably do a little better in the Pac-12 South, although Nebraska is behind USC and UCLA. I think Nebraska is just a notch below Arizona and Arizona State right now, although with a solid recruiting class Nebraska can consistently play at their level.

Our recruiting has averaged somewhere in the upper 20s to low 30s over the last 4 recruiting cycles, not to mention post season polls which put Nebraska at roughly the same spot as our recruiting rankings would predict, indicate that Sam is right when he says this team does not have top-15 talent. They don't.

If Nebraska had to play in the SEC West they would likely go 6-6 or 7-5. We would struggle to beat LSU, Alabama, Auburn and TAMU. They'd probably do a little better in the Pac-12 South, although Nebraska is behind USC and UCLA. I think Nebraska is just a notch below Arizona and Arizona State right now, although with a solid recruiting class Nebraska can consistently play at their level.

Yes, but if you look at ASU and Arizona's recruiting over the last 4 cycles it is not better than NU's and probably worse. There recruiting doesn't suggest top 15 either. What is different about them lately though? Oh, I know a new coach.

Yes, but if you look at ASU and Arizona's recruiting over the last 4 cycles it is not better than NU's and probably worse. There recruiting doesn't suggest top 15 either. What is different about them lately though? Oh, I know a new coach.

That's exactly why I think Nebraska is only a notch below those teams and why Nebraska would fare a little better in the Pac-12 South than the SEC West.

Establishing an identity and recruiting to a system will help Nebraska quite a bit going forward.

For the record, I expect this offensive line to be better than last years, almost right out of the gate. I'm just leery about getting my hopes up based upon the past. I like the guys we've got starting now, and I like Coach Cavanaugh. Just ready to see some football and really make my own evaluation.

Well, on the bright side, Oline shouldn't have any cotton plants this year. I watched that USC game, still trying to figure out how they went form pretty good to world beaters.

When were we world beaters? USC was actually one of our worse games rushing-wise (3.3ypc), and Tommy was sacked a few times as well.

Why all the worry over what Sam thinks? He's a freekin reporter... His job is not to pump up the fan base, point out weakness in the program, or provide accurate handicapping data. His job is to get clicks and sell newspapers. Period. To that end he will do whatever is necessary or ordered to do by his editors. If things are rosy, then out come the impending doom stories. When they laud Kevin Williams for the Blackshirt today, next week might find him taunting the guy with "Second string" chants. So long as the story sells.

All I've seen and heard in the last week was talk about "pressure surrounding the game" and "Is the MR honeymoon over?". Pressure and questions brought and pushed by who? Your friendly local beat writer who always wins so long as you care what he thinks, sucker. :throw