Again is Sam being overly negative about this team?

NUinID

I dontcare about some meaningless stat that says how many yards a back gets before contact. Fact is, against 3 mediocre-good teams AND and fcs foe, the offense was garbage. Complete garbage.

I've already acknowledged that there were major issues with the o line at times last year. I'm glad we have new coaches for this group.

My only comment was for the comment that sounded like Ameer was out there running all by himself dodging tackles in the running game.

I dontcare about some meaningless stat that says how many yards a back gets before contact. Fact is, against 3 mediocre-good teams AND and fcs foe, the offense was garbage. Complete garbage.

I've already acknowledged that there were major issues with the o line at times last year. I'm glad we have new coaches for this group.

My only comment was for the comment that sounded like Ameer was out there running all by himself dodging tackles in the running game.

Technically, it was the passing game:

Why all the worry over what Sam thinks? He's a freekin reporter... His job is not to pump up the fan base, point out weakness in the program, or provide accurate handicapping data. His job is to get clicks and sell newspapers. Period. To that end he will do whatever is necessary or ordered to do by his editors. If things are rosy, then out come the impending doom stories. When they laud Kevin Williams for the Blackshirt today, next week might find him taunting the guy with "Second string" chants. So long as the story sells.

All I've seen and heard in the last week was talk about "pressure surrounding the game" and "Is the MR honeymoon over?". Pressure and questions brought and pushed by who? Your friendly local beat writer who always wins so long as you care what he thinks, sucker. :throw

Good reporters know more than you do. They sell newspapers by knowing more than you do. Sam's editors want him to write articles that people want to read. They don't order him to do anything more than that.

If it seems like beat writers are more circumspect than the average Koolaid guzzling fan, that's their job. If you don't care what they think, that's certainly your prerogative. Just remember that all sports chatter, including this board and your post, is rampant speculation, so boycott at your peril.

Most people think Sam is among the more reasonable and readable local sports writers.

Why all the worry over what Sam thinks? He's a freekin reporter... His job is not to pump up the fan base, point out weakness in the program, or provide accurate handicapping data. His job is to get clicks and sell newspapers. Period. To that end he will do whatever is necessary or ordered to do by his editors. If things are rosy, then out come the impending doom stories. When they laud Kevin Williams for the Blackshirt today, next week might find him taunting the guy with "Second string" chants. So long as the story sells.

All I've seen and heard in the last week was talk about "pressure surrounding the game" and "Is the MR honeymoon over?". Pressure and questions brought and pushed by who? Your friendly local beat writer who always wins so long as you care what he thinks, sucker. :throw

Good reporters know more than you do. They sell newspapers by knowing more than you do. Sam's editors want him to write articles that people want to read. They don't order him to do anything more than that.

If it seems like beat writers are more circumspect than the average Koolaid guzzling fan, that's their job. If you don't care what they think, that's certainly your prerogative. Just remember that all sports chatter, including this board and your post, is rampant speculation, so boycott at your peril.

Most people think Sam is among the more reasonable and readable local sports writers.

Back from Ohio already, Dirk? :bat

If that was a snappy comeback....I honestly don't understand it.

I'm with you. I mostly attribute click-bait to crappy blog posts written by recent college grads.

I don't think local beat writers need clicks. They're going to get plenty of them by simply writing an article concerning Nebraska football.

I agree and I agree...if you don't think sports writers have tons of info and "insiders" you are crazy. You might not like their writing but they know lots of people and they get tons of info, lots of which I am sure they tip-toe around.

You have to remember that there are lots of people that work in the athletic department and just like you and me the chat about their jobs and what goes on...I am sure Sam hears and gets told a lot.

I say we wait and see what we have. I am excited about this season, in every way. The most I have been since the past staff started here. No one knows what the kids will do, but I hope they play more at ease, not worrying about what might happen if they are out of position, miss a tackle or drop a ball. I think we see a team of kids that want to play for Nebraska, and want to return us to prominence. I think we have a head coach that is here for that and only that.

I understand the concern, we would be foolish to think everything is fixed. It is a journey, they are about to begin it. No demands, no expectations, just hope for the future, something I honestly have not had in a long time.

• Fire 2

I think Sam is being overly negative. He doesn't seem to be accounting for the massive coaching upgrade.

Nebraska has enough talent to beat every team on the schedule, without question. The issue is how well players will play together as cohesive units while adjusting to the new schemes.

to wins games it takes talent at every position deep enough for rotation. If you have that then possibly you have the talent to beat anyone on the schedule. We have weaker links, that may be the strengths of other teams. We will not know the answer to that until the games are played, how the injuries stack up, and the mental ability to learn and adapt to the new staff.

I totally agree on the coaching staff, being a vast improvement. And my guess is the environment is much better for development and camaraderie. But again, we won't know until some of the games are play.

Sam has far more insight to the team than any of us. I think he maybe trying to curb the enthusiasm for the fans, to make it easier on the staff. Who knows. 3 months from now we will, until then it is just wishing and hoping.

He doesn't seem to be accounting for the massive coaching upgrade.

Nebraska has enough talent to beat every team on the schedule, without question. The issue is how well players will play together as cohesive units while adjusting to the new schemes.

The problem is I don't think Sam would qualify the current staff as a "massive" coaching upgrade. Do they have more experience? Yes. Are some of them touted as being really good talent evaluators and developers? Yes. But, that has to transition to the field. And for all the positives that come with Mike Riley, he has also had his fair share of struggles as a head coach. "Massive" is a bit extreme at this stage.

We could spend a long time debating all the reasons Riley succeeded or didn't succeed in past ventures, but that's been talked about ad nauseum. All I'm saying is that there's no guarantee, yet, that this staff is capable of winning a conference title. Lots of positives, but also questions that come with.

• Fire 1

He doesn't seem to be accounting for the massive coaching upgrade.

The problem is I don't think Sam would qualify the current staff as a "massive" coaching upgrade. Do they have more experience? Yes. Are some of them touted as being really good talent evaluators and developers? Yes. But, that has to transition to the field. And for all the positives that come with Mike Riley, he has also had his fair share of struggles as a head coach. "Massive" is a bit extreme at this stage.

We could spend a long time debating all the reasons Riley succeeded or didn't succeed in past ventures, but that's been talked about ad nauseum. All I'm saying is that there's no guarantee, yet, that this staff is capable of winning a conference title. Lots of positives, but also questions that come with.

I can tell it's a massive coaching upgrade just from watching everything that has transpired from day one. He and his staff have been superior to the previous staff in every single way. Now, it's possible come game day they will suddenly have no idea what they're doing. That is possible. But in my experience, quality people are mostly the same person all the time, and approach all the things they do in the same manner.

I agree with you there's no guarantee, and thankfully the season begins in a couple days and we'll begin to see what we have on the field.

Well it was pretty telling when Kenny Bell -- once willing to defend Bo at the gates of hell -- made a very clear point of announcing how much he learned working out with Riley's assistants.

"More in two weeks than I learned in four years"

Or something to that effect.

This is like the study of a story getting passed among people and they compared the story at the end of the line to the original. I think the quote wasn't that telling. It was more along the lines that Williams was able to quickly identify things he struggled with throughout his career. Found it. You would have to infer what you thought the quote was from the last sentence, but it wouldn't be difficult to do so.

“Within the first 30 minutes of working with him, he identified every single thing I struggled with throughout my entire career,” Bell said. “Thirty minutes after that, we were fixing them.”

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/75584-kenny-bells-recent-comment-about-coach-williams/