To Coach Riley - RUN THE BALL

ajt1970

Might just be a first game fluke, but our guards were really, really bad yesterday. Simply outmatched by BYU's defensive line.

There's nothing I would love more than to establish the run early, but I'm not sure we have the guys to do it well.

After watching the game today...(yeah I know who plans a stupid wedding on Husker Game Day) Our OL was really missing blocking assignments. I chalk this up as learning new blocking schemes and verbiage. I have no doubts it will be one of the main focal points during this weeks practice.
Perhaps you are correct, I don't know. I hope so. One thing I know the coaches can control is getting Tommy more involved in the run game. He's better than .2 ypc.

Ideally, you want to get the running game established early so you can go to play action later. If it's not there with the RBs early, getting Tommy involved will only help things open up for the RBs, I believe.

Bingo. I get that they want Tommy to throw, but holy christ, if he's got a lane after 2 reads... RUN. Both of his Intentional Groundings could have been gains if he had decided to go for it about 1-2 seconds earlier.

• Fire 2

We averaged 3.4 yards on 37 run plays and 7.8 yards on 41 pass plays. I know I'm being Captain Obvious here, but we don't need to run more often, we need to run better.

Bingo.

I said in a status update we were 48% Run in the game yesterday. It's less than what I want to see, but if the passing game is working well, which it was at 59% completion, the run game should work better. I'm not sure if its scheme or personnel. But you are right, it needs to be more efficient in the run game.

Hats off to BYU selling out to stop the run, they were shooting gaps all day long. Moving in and out of a 4-3 to 3-4 isn't easy for OL to get a feel for where the defense is coming from. I think we'll be alright. I really do. As long as we improve efficiency in the running game NU will be alright. I think the D will play much better two when the QB can't run as well.

Outside of Taysom Hill, I thought we played some of the best run defense I've seen in years. So I get where you're coming from. The tackling was pretty solid throughout.

gotta love couch coaches!

and this quote makes you no better.

Not really sure where in my comment you got that I was "better" but I do know that I wont judge a coach by his first game at a new University and make ridiculous comments like " I am afraid you and Langsdorf simply lack the know-how to put together a powerful rushing attack." but that's for contributing!

We averaged 3.4 yards on 37 run plays and 7.8 yards on 41 pass plays. I know I'm being Captain Obvious here, but we don't need to run more often, we need to run better.

Bingo.

I said in a status update we were 48% Run in the game yesterday. It's less than what I want to see, but if the passing game is working well, which it was at 59% completion, the run game should work better. I'm not sure if its scheme or personnel. But you are right, it needs to be more efficient in the run game.

Hats off to BYU selling out to stop the run, they were shooting gaps all day long. Moving in and out of a 4-3 to 3-4 isn't easy for OL to get a feel for where the defense is coming from. I think we'll be alright. I really do. As long as we improve efficiency in the running game NU will be alright. I think the D will play much better two when the QB can't run as well.

We struggled with runs up the gut.

Our 3 best runs for gain were 2 jet sweeps by Moore and an off-tackle run by Cross.

Now, Wilbon had a couple nice runs, but those were more to do with his shiftiness, not well blocked plays. Which I think those previously mentioned run plays were well blocked.

Wether you like it or not, passing the ball is obviously the strength of the team. Riley has said all along he's gonna play to his strengths. Right now, we can't run or pass block for sh#t. The amount of jet sweeps, bubbles, and RB screens (which I loved) were pretty indicative of this. Our line couldn't give Tommy any time. Which means he needs to make some with his legs. And don't even get me started about the running game. Penalty galore. I've never seen a more broken technique than how we tried to block last night. Some plays Lewis, Kondolo, and Utter were barely even getting a finger tip on the guy. Line is soft. I don't think we aren't talented, just need man up and get back to cracking skulls.

• Fire 1

Here's what we know about the rush numbers .... First off, the rush vs pass attempts and production were poor in the first half. We were pass heavy. In terms of the overall attempts for the game 37 run and 41 pass is deceptive. Subtract all of Armstrong's runs as they were scrambles. Subtract jet sweeps as they are trick plays, not run set ups. End arounds, or jet sweeps, are plays where you are just hoping like heckler to make the corner. How many times have you seen an end around ball carrier take the ball, stop short and cut against the grain of the defense like an RB would do? Running backs have in their nature to pick through defenders, follow blocks and exploit holes in the defense. Back to those numbers, subtract about 15 rush attempts. Now it's 41 pass and 22 rush, which is about what it felt like, well, to me anyway.

gotta love couch coaches!

and this quote makes you no better.

Not really sure where in my comment you got that I was "better" but I do know that I wont judge a coach by his first game at a new University and make ridiculous comments like " I am afraid you and Langsdorf simply lack the know-how to put together a powerful rushing attack." but that's for contributing!

Couch Coach? Damn right I am, and proud of it. Anytime I watch a game I always try to look at it and analyze it as a coach would....to look and see deeper than the typical "fluff". I have studied AND coached (on a small time basis) football for years ....I am very opinionated and sometimes my thoughts/opinions might not sit well with others, but that's ok, we can agree to disagree.

What I maybe should have said was I am CONCERNED that Riley and Langsdorf do not know how to develop players or schemes to point to a strong and powerful running attack, and is, in my opinion, something NU needs to win at the highest level. Look at history.....has a RIley or Langsdorf coached team (on the college of NFL level) EVER had a top 10 running attack? Absolutely not. They have chosen to go down a different route of throwing the ball often and is something I feel will not work at Nebraska (for multiple reasons). Since there are only two ways to attack a defense (run or pass), and since, again...in my opinion, I feel the pass-first mentality and schemes won't work in Lincoln to win at the HIGHEST level (either from a personnel standpoint or from more fundamental aspects - being a one dimensional offense, weather, etc.), that leaves the running game....which lead me to question if the Riley/Langsdorf combo on the offensive side of the ball, is really qualified and capable to put together a strong and powerful rushing attack to get Nebraska back to #1 (or at least in the conversation of #1).

Here's what we know about the rush numbers .... First off, the rush vs pass attempts and production were poor in the first half. We were pass heavy. In terms of the overall attempts for the game 37 run and 41 pass is deceptive. Subtract all of Armstrong's runs as they were scrambles. Subtract jet sweeps as they are trick plays, not run set ups. End arounds, or jet sweeps, are plays where you are just hoping like heckler to make the corner. How many times have you seen an end around ball carrier take the ball, stop short and cut against the grain of the defense like an RB would do? Running backs have in their nature to pick through defenders, follow blocks and exploit holes in the defense. Back to those numbers, subtract about 15 rush attempts. Now it's 41 pass and 22 rush, which is about what it felt like, well, to me anyway.

So our run defense wasn't that bad last year, because a lot of those yards were on Jet sweeps?

So our run defense wasn't that bad last year, because a lot of those yards were on Jet sweeps?

Those were read options if I remember correctly. Melvin kept looking for an angle to run on and he seemed like we forced to the outside pretty well, but had no one to stop him once he got there, thus NCAA record.

I'm not convinced we have the pieces in place to run like we have in previous years. I think scheme may have something to do with it (we're seeing a lot more under-center runs between the tackles with shifting TE's and WR's) and our offensive line was having a lot of problems. Even Alex Lewis, who was supposed to be an anchor on the line, had a couple of penalties and played fairly poorly at times Saturday.

It also appears we have a lot of talented backs, but none that stand out. That said, Wilbon may be my favorite back of the bunch right now. He turned a couple of runs that looked like they'd be nothing into a gain of a couple. Newby had the better stats but now that we've seen these guys in action it's pretty clear we don't have "that" guy in the backfield yet.

I also personally believe, though, that running the ball is partly a commitment. You may start the game not getting a ton on the ground, but, BYU's interior was really wearing down in that second half. Seemed like a good opportunity to exploit that a bit, and also shorten the game, by running the ball. That was a really freakin' long game.

Did anyone see running lanes between the tackles opening up? I sure didn't. Maybe a few but they closed quickly.

Only a few times. Offensive line is an issue. The coaches pretty much said so in fall practice.

You don't just line up and keep running the ball then punt. Nebraska at one point had 17 rushes for 34 yards. That won't cut it.

I'd like to see Tommy pulling down the ball and taking off a little more often and making the decision to do so a little sooner, but aside from that I didn't see a lot different we could do.

Second half was much improved and Nebraska did everything they could do to win that game. Everything except knock down that final pass.

Drew Brown better get things fixed or we are in for a long one.

• Fire 1