husker nation at war with itself

commando

This whole thing is just stupid.

There is no "war" in Husker Nation. There are some idiots who just won't let it go on both sides but the vast majority of the fans are just fine...disappointed in the loss....have a wait and see attitude (which is the right one).

The media is going to milk this "civil war" as much as it can any time an author needs something to write when he/she is too lazy to actually go out and research a topic.

• Fire 5

I have a weird long story that solidifies my view on this from this weekend.

Long story short.

Went to game with brother in law discussed MR and BP and FS.

At one point a drunk fan immediately in front of us, tells us we aren't real fans and we should go sit with BYU fans, and we wont get a lost today that we wanted as Bo Supporters. (this was at the come back at the 3rd quarter, even though we were cheering and rooting for Nebraska as much as everyone else and wearing Husker gear...)

I attempt to defuse the situation by saying were both NU fans I am an alumni and my brother in law did not get the chance to go here because he was deployed and went elsewhere... I brought up the point I cheered for them even when I was in college during the Callahan era. I hate Callahan, but while he was here I supported him and always cheered for him and went to the games...

Anyway that seemed to defuse the awkward situation. It was however extremely awkward and hostile for this 'real' fan to turn around and tell us we weren't 'real' fans and we should go sit with BYU - i think that is what the 'real fan' attempted to say, to be honest it was so awkward I kind of just shut down...

Our conversation was about how Bo and FS firing and how that will effect us long term... Again nothing I am looking to debate here, just sharing that to give context. This was a conversation we were having between us prior to the game and somewhat throughout during breaks.

But the fact I cannot sit in Memorial stadium have a private conversation with my brother in law about NU without being heckled by someone is the type of crap you expect at Unv of Iowa or Unv of Michigan.

Aside from a couple of silly memes that cropped up on Facebook this weekend, I haven't seen a divisive spirit from the fanbase. Do I have friends who think Bo should still be the coach? Sure, but it's possible to disagree and remain friends and Husker fans.

Now, when my buddy who's an Iowa fan chimed in on one of my Facebook threads, that was a different story...

I have a weird long story that solidifies my view on this from this weekend.

Long story short.

Went to game with brother in law discussed MR and BP and FS.

At one point a drunk fan immediately in front of us, tells us we aren't real fans and we should go sit with BYU fans, and we wont get a lost today that we wanted as Bo Supporters. (this was at the come back at the 3rd quarter, even though we were cheering and rooting for Nebraska as much as everyone else and wearing Husker gear...)

I attempt to defuse the situation by saying were both NU fans I am an alumni and my brother in law did not get the chance to go here because he was deployed and went elsewhere... I brought up the point I cheered for them even when I was in college during the Callahan era. I hate Callahan, but while he was here I supported him and always cheered for him and went to the games...

Anyway that seemed to defuse the awkward situation. It was however extremely awkward and hostile for this 'real' fan to turn around and tell us we weren't 'real' fans and we should go sit with BYU - i think that is what the 'real fan' attempted to say, to be honest it was so awkward I kind of just shut down...

Our conversation was about how Bo and FS firing and how that will effect us long term... Again nothing I am looking to debate here, just sharing that to give context. This was a conversation we were having between us prior to the game and somewhat throughout during breaks.

But the fact I cannot sit in Memorial stadium have a private conversation with my brother in law about NU without being heckled by someone is the type of crap you expect at Unv of Iowa or Unv of Michigan.

Not to call you on the carpet but I can't imagine the people in front of you called you out unless they over heard some things that would make them think that. Pretty one sided, anecdotal story if ya ask me.

I sure as hell won't accuse you of not being a fan but also I have seen indications in some of your posts that you may not be behind the Riley hire 100%. And that's fine, you can have any opinion you want, but don't feign bewilderment when somebody over hears some of those types of comments (which they apparently did or they wouldnt have said sh#t) and takes issue with it.

BTW-Love your signature gif.

I don't think Nebraska is divided between supporters of Mike Riley and supporters of Bo Pelini like this article suggests. I for one am skeptical of Mike Riley, not that I don't think he's a good football coach, I just don't know if his staff as a whole is ready to take Nebraska to prime time. That being said, I am NOT a Pelini supporter. He was fired a year later than he should've been.

I think Husker nation is more divided between supporters of Mike Riley and those skeptical about the direction of the program after several years of mediocre results who also agree that Bo should've been fired.

• Fire 2

Here's the problem with articles like this one - they take a sampling of tweets and message board posts from the internet and turn that into evidence for a fanbase on the 'war'path.

What an utter load of rubbish. The vast majority of people are in agreement and still on Riley's side. And since Saturday's game, I've seen far more support for the program and HCMR than I have naysayers trying to lather their bodies in Essence of Bo Pelini war paint.

Not to mention, the vast majority of Husker fans DON'T post on message boards or stroke their egos on Twitter for the world to see.

• Fire 2

Here's the problem with articles like this one - they take a sampling of tweets and message board posts from the internet and turn that into evidence for a fanbase on the 'war'path.

What an utter load of rubbish. The vast majority of people are in agreement and still on Riley's side. And since Saturday's game, I've seen far more support for the program and HCMR than I have naysayers trying to lather their bodies in Essence of Bo Pelini war paint.

Not to mention, the vast majority of Husker fans DON'T post on message boards or stroke their egos on Twitter for the world to see.

Then how do you know what they think?...

And why now does any hint of doubt or skepticism in new staff automatically equate to "raging Pelini fan"?

That article is 95% garbage. He may have hit upon the extreme fringe elements of Husker Nation but that is it. It is mostly a narrative, made up in the recesses of his mind. There are not that many fans that don't think Pelini should've been fired. There just aren't but yes, the few of them that do exist, post freely on message boards, and to my understanding, on social media. If you want to use the fringe and then make up a story that fits your agenda.......I guess whatever floats your boat.

• Fire 1

Then how do you know what they think?...

And why now does any hint of doubt or skepticism in new staff automatically equate to "raging Pelini fan"?

That is exactly the problem with that article. The Riley doubters are not necessarily raging Pelini supporters. But Mr. Numbnuts writer claims they are. Clickbait, nothing more.