Backup QB

With TA in a boot we need insurance. The backup needs some reps before Miami and the conference games. Who should we go with, Darlington or Bush? Bush is the future (if we don't recruit some one), but is Darlington the best we have this year?

Edit: I meant Fyfe, not Darlington. I assume Darlington is 4th string for a reason and will not see the field this year.

But TA is injured, and his strength is the ability to run. I do not want to see TA playing QB this tear without the ability to run, or even hesitant to take off because he is nursing a sore foot.

Is there any word on the extent of it? So far all I've heard is that he's in a boot.

And Tayson Hill only had a foot Sprain going into half time.. I am sure hoping TA is just wearing it as a precaution..

But TA is injured, and his strength is the ability to run. I do not want to see TA playing QB this tear without the ability to run, or even hesitant to take off because he is nursing a sore foot.

Did you even watch the BYU game? He had one of his better passing days, ever. Threw for the second-most yards amongst Big Ten quarterbacks this week.

Tommy may not be a prototypical passer, but he's improved by leaps & bounds over last year.

Did you even watch the BYU game? He had one of his better passing days, ever. Threw for the second-most yards amongst Big Ten quarterbacks this week.

Tommy may not be a prototypical passer, but he's improved by leaps & bounds over last year.

He's still not quite as accurate as I'd like, and he still needs to take better care of the ball (no more intentional grounding or throwing up a prayer when he's under pressure, sometimes he either needs to tuck and at least try to run or just take a sack instead of risking a pick) but he nailed some throws that I don't think he'd have made last year. There's definite improvement, but there's room for more.

• Fire 1

He had 10 consecutive incompletons, completed less than 20% of his passes in the 2nd quarter, and had two of the most ridiculous intentional grounding penalties I have ever seen. In addition, if he doesn't grossly under throw the pump fake pass on the last drive, it goes for a TD, and we win. He also continued his problem with locking onto the primary receiver. TA is a marginal BCS passing QB. BYU is a bad pass defense team. They gave up on average 270 yards/game in 2014.

• Fire 5

I think that is being awfully generous.

At home against BYU, one of the worst secondaries in CFB last year, he was only 58% and 7.8 YPA. Last year, he averaged 53% and 7.8 YPA. Even in his previous game against USC, he had equal TD/INT and more yards. In 2014, he had 5 games with a better QBR and completion percentage than versus BYU.

He had a quarter or two where he looked really good, but also had a quarter or two that made me shudder.

• Fire 1

He's still not quite as accurate as I'd like, and he still needs to take better care of the ball (no more intentional grounding or throwing up a prayer when he's under pressure, sometimes he either needs to tuck and at least try to run or just take a sack instead of risking a pick) but he nailed some throws that I don't think he'd have made last year. There's definite improvement, but there's room for more.

I think i may be crazy but that was one of the differences in our game Saturday. BYU was no longer worried about TA taking off and running so their defense keyed on our running-backs. When Hill was in for BYU we had to worry about him pulling it down and going for 40. Puts a another aspect that defenses have to watch for..

If Ohio St only uses their Qbs as drop back passers and no threat to pull it and run they are not the National champ Ohio State.. When the field is spread out and you athlete has lanes to run and he takes off its a whole lot tougher to stop..

I think i may be crazy but that was one of the differences in our game Saturday. BYU was no longer worried about TA taking off and running so their defense keyed on our running-backs. When Hill was in for BYU we had to worry about him pulling it down and going for 40. Puts a another aspect that defenses have to watch for..

If Ohio St only uses their Qbs as drop back passers and no threat to pull it and run they are not the National champ Ohio State.. When the field is spread out and you athlete has lanes to run and he takes off its a whole lot tougher to stop..

I had the same thought. TA seemed to get caught from behind way to often Saturday. I wondered during the game if he was hurt coming into the game or if he was injured during the game. I thought he started throwing off his back foot after the first quarter. What foot is the boot on? He sure looked healthy when jumped the defender.