The Problem

Hujan

Here's the issue. We all want a team that wins like the 95 team and dominates like the 95 team. However, it won't look the same as the 95 team. Many rules have changed in college football and talent and teams have changed what they do. As someone said, college football evolves. Many of the awesome hits that the 95 players laid on poor opposing players would be flagged today. I remember seeing QBs literally wobbling off the field due to hit after hit and then coming right back out. The hits would be 15 yard penalties and ultimately players would be kicked out. And.....that's actually a good thing. Many of the blocking techniques would be flagged. Our O line will NEVER look like the 80s and 90s again due to the fact that every single player they now go up against has the same weight training and nutrition they do. That wasn't the case before. Even O lines from Alabama, OSU and Wisconsin don't look like ours from that era.

Now, saying that, I'm not saying we can't have a year where we dominate opponents like that year on the score board. Those are two very different things.

I realize the rarity of a team like the 95 Huskers, but given the resources, a team consistently ranked in the top 25 should be achievable.

Buster you are so right, everyone wants to be 1995 good again, I mean who doesn't. I bet Alabama fans want to be 2011 good and Miami fans want to be 2001 good also. It all takes a perfect storm and that storm takes time to build.

You are also right the about the way the game is played. It has changed. The brute force and brutality of the game is being bled off. FB in general is more finesse game, all in the name of safety.

The Nebraska team we have right now is closer to the ones we had in the mid to late 80's than what most realize talent wise. Most will say no way, how could that be those teams were crushing teams. Yea they were crushing teams that looked a lot more like S. Alabama than than Miami or BYU. Teams in general are better which makes the games tougher with less room for error. We played 5 teams a year that were fairly low in talent and 2-3 more that were more talented but not what I would call anything close talent wise.

Lets just look the year 1988. KSU was 0-11 that year. KU was 1-10 guess who they beat. Missouri was 3-7-1, Iowa St was the best team of that bunch at 5-6. Out of conference we beat Utah St. their record was 4-7 and UNLV and their record was 4-7. Trust me those wins Utah St and UNLV are over teams like New Mexico St and San Jose St. Those are 6 gimmies, do we have 6 gimmies on our 2015 schedule?

I am not disparaging our teams from the 80's they were good football team. But, a lot of the teams we played weren't all that good.

I asked in another thread to see if anyone sees the obvious glaring area of subpar play thus far which in my view has caused the two losses and yet can be easily remedied qucikly and help the team play much better the rest of the year! Nobody seems to be discussing it really.

The answer is "Special teams". We have played very poorly so far, losing the area of special teams in all three games badly in my opinion. Poor punting. Poor punt returns. Poor punt fielding. Poor field goal kicking. Poor kick off returns. These areas are easily fixed. Perhaps field goal kick are already 'fixed'. Punting will be better if our punter is healthy. Punt fielding was remedied with putting a second man back there but I am sure they had to tell Westy to catch the dam ball and don't let it roll for 30 yards. Kick off returns were mediocre yesterday. We need a hard charging 'slasher' running back kick offs. Punt returns require a shifty quick as a cat runner who can make the first two or three guys miss after the catch. Kick off returns require someone with excellent straight away speed and an almost suicidal charge of the light brigade mentality to run into the on coming wall of defenders and punch through ala the children's "red rover game". You must break through, not dance on kick offs.

If we had won special teams in all three games, we would have won all three games by several touchdowns in my opinion. Field position has been terrible and we have had to go 80 yards into the wind, sun, etc. all three games. This can and will likely change for the better as the season progresses.

You are so wrong it is painful.

Nearly every kickoff from us was a touchback, Westy returned punts very well. Kickoff returns weren't bad. Punt coverage was great.

This post is ignorant.

Kickoffs out of the end zone are expected and the norm. Holding teams inside the 25 are better than the norm and should be our expectation there. Punts. I believe you need to check out the crappy punts we had in our first three games and compare those with the punts to us. BYU buried us with a couple monster punts we didn't even field the ball! One was 77 yards into the wind against us and completely changed the field position. Our field position has been horrible basically. Have we returned any punts over 25 yards - ? Maybe one but I don't think so. We have played three games and should have had at least 10 punt returns even assuming a number went out of bounds or out of the end zone, etc. How many have we actually returned? We missed two glaring field goals in game one and everybody wanted to lynch our kicker. Not me but I believe we should do better. Thus special teams is a failure (a D minus at best. The offense and defense are at least a letter grade of C so far. dont' tell me I am ignorant.

I said the post was ignorant. Not you.

Our punter is injured. Our punt returner is injured. Your post makes very little sense. Consider this for a quick second: the Blackshirt Defense has not played well at all, taking into account the sheer lack of forced punts from a defense giving up over 400 yards a game, the fact that our punt returner is fair catching a lot of those because offenses are trying to pin us deep with hang time punts, and the fact that fair catches are more and more the norm in football with the focus on stopping game changing returns from the punting team.

That should make sense to you, but considering your last two posts, I don't like your chances.

Obviously you are a jerk.

Honest question, do we had a single player on our roster right now that would start on the '95 team? I can't think of one.

Then maybe we shouldn't compare this team to that one, for f@ck's sake.

DPE, Westerkamp & Foltz? I do get your point though.

Yeah, I was going to go with the wide receiving corp. from now over what we had back then. As much as I loved watching Tony Veland, I'm not so sure Nate Gerry wouldn't be a slight upgrade?

Blitz game has been pretty bad so far. We haven't gotten home very much if ever

It looked to me as if Young wasn't going full speed at the quarterback when he came in scot free on his blitz. It was almost as if he were afraid he was going to whiff. Anyhow, if anyone gets a chance to look at it, see if that seems right.

Blitz game has been pretty bad so far. We haven't gotten home very much if ever

It looked to me as if Young wasn't going full speed at the quarterback when he came in scot free on his blitz. It was almost as if he were afraid he was going to whiff. Anyhow, if anyone gets a chance to look at it, see if that seems right.

I noticed it at the time also..

Interesting, so when the 95 team comes onto the new turf with their children is it wrong to tell them "I won all my games for 3 years on THIS field"?

Yeah, it's like when there are cows out in the corn field, and then the farmer harvests the corn, and then the cows go back in the field but it's not the same corn field cuz the corn is gone, Or something.

What the hell does that even mean? And trust me, we are trying to field a team that plays like the '95 team did. There is a reason they are the best team in the history of College football though. It's cuz there hasn't been many teams like them.

I was just poking fun at Sker4ever who seems to think if you change the carpet in your living room, it's no longer your living room.

Technically, the comparison he was making was if you have carpet in your living room and you bang your gf on said carpet. Then you change your carpet, now that is no longer the same carpet you just banged your gf on.

Interesting, so when the 95 team comes onto the new turf with their children is it wrong to tell them "I won all my games for 3 years on THIS field"?

Yeah, it's like when there are cows out in the corn field, and then the farmer harvests the corn, and then the cows go back in the field but it's not the same corn field cuz the corn is gone, Or something.

What the hell does that even mean? And trust me, we are trying to field a team that plays like the '95 team did. There is a reason they are the best team in the history of College football though. It's cuz there hasn't been many teams like them.

I was just poking fun at Sker4ever who seems to think if you change the carpet in your living room, it's no longer your living room.

Technically, the comparison he was making was if you have carpet in your living room and you bang your gf on said carpet. Then you change your carpet, now that is no longer the same carpet you just banged your gf on.

Technically, no. He said if you change the turf on the field, it's not the same field. He's wrong. It's still the same field. It just has new carpet.

Honest question, do we had a single player on our roster right now that would start on the '95 team? I can't think of one.

No on Foltz, Jesse Kosch was the punter on that squad. Literally the best ever at Nebraska by statistics and the choice for the All-Time team.

DPE and Westerkamp would have to improve a lot in their blocking. They also would have to beat out Brendan Holbein, Shevin Wiggins, and Clester Johnson.

Technically, no. He said if you change the turf on the field, it's not the same field. He's wrong. It's still the same field. It just has new carpet.

Well technically, we changed everything under it too. We took out the concrete, brought new dirt in, installed a kickass drain system and then put in new carpet. So....

Wait.....can we have an award for the dumbest argument on Huskerboard?

No on Foltz, Jesse Kosch was the punter on that squad. Literally the best ever at Nebraska by statistics and the choice for the All-Time team.

DPE and Westerkamp would have to improve a lot in their blocking. They also would have to beat out Brendan Holbein, Shevin Wiggins, and Clester Johnson.

Which offense are we going to run? If DPE and Westerkamp had been brought up the last couple of years under our offense back then, I have no doubt they could be taught to block and play in that system just as well as the three you mentioned. Not sure I could say the same about Brendan, Shevin and Clester playing the rolls of DPE and Westerkamp now.

• Fire 1

Which offense are we going to run? If DPE and Westerkamp had been brought up the last couple of years under our offense back then, I have no doubt they could be taught to block and play in that system just as well as the three you mentioned. Not sure I could say the same about Brendan, Shevin and Clester playing the rolls of DPE and Westerkamp now.

Probably the offense the greatest team in the history of CFB ran.

Well technically, we changed everything under it too. We took out the concrete, brought new dirt in, installed a kickass drain system and then put in new carpet. So....

It's still Tom Osborne Field.

It's still Tom Osborne Field.

Which brings me to my third sentence.

Probably the offense the greatest team in the history of CFB ran.

I would assume so too which brings me to what I said in my second sentence however, we probably wouldn't have them on our team due to them wanting to play in a system where they can catch balls too.

Well of course we can. But, out of all the asshatery that has been spewed on this website, do you really think this is the dumbest one of all-time? lol