Some guys need to listen to this segment from Sharp and Benning this morning

NUinID

Don't want to sound elitist (ahh, hell, why not), but several of us around here are big fans of Semm's analysis as well. I believe I caught on last year.

He's excellent for a coach/film breakdown perspective on Mondays. I like him even more now that I know we're alike in thinking it's absolutely nuts that people are getting all worked up and already calling for changes 3 games in. C'mon, Husker fan. Patience.

Don't want to sound elitist (ahh, hell, why not), but several of us around here are big fans of Semm's analysis as well. I believe I caught on last year.

He's excellent for a coach/film breakdown perspective on Mondays. I like him even more now that I know we're alike in thinking it's absolutely nuts that people are getting all worked up and already calling for changes 3 games in. C'mon, Husker fan. Patience.

That was my whole point in posting it. He looked at the game from an analytical standpoint. It is really hard to look at things and not have a knee jerk reaction to things as a fan, but the coach in me looks at things differently after a while to digest the situation.

I guess he is a regular guest on Sharp & Benning. Assistant HS FB coach from Grand Island, former standout QB in HS and at Dakota Wesleyan.

Quick quotes:

"I'm sick of a certain segment of Nebraska's vaunted fanbase, bitching nonstop, the world's at an end, it was a terrible decision to fire the previous staff, on and on, and on ---- I mean WERE 3 GAMES IN! people are predicting a 5-7 season. Get a Grip."

"These guys are learning a brand new system, a brand new language, .... everything's brand new. 3 games in. There's gonna be some mistakes with personell groups, .. correctly targeting in the run game, pass protection, ....."

"Frankly does this look even remotely similar to what the last transition back in 2004 looked like? Not even close. I think people ought to be pretty tickled with the number of plays we are able to make on offense."

"I look at a guy in the mirror every morning that not too long ago said -- That quarterback might just be another guy. Well I think he's showing with each passing week that he's more than that. Probably a pretty good chance (I never thought I'd say this) that he might play football after college. How bout that one? ... He's gonna have the advantage of playing for two years in a pro-style offense with actual NFL coaching....he's toned down the in-your-face issues with his teammates, but he still plays like a lion, and gave us every chance to win that game."

• Fire 6

more quotes:

"With the addition of Cethan this week, Janovich's number of snaps was reduced"

"Cethan gives you something in the passing game that those other tight ends don't"

"It will be interesting going forward to see if we see less 3 wide receiver packages and more 2-back and 2-tight end stuff"

"That run game is not as bad as it seems on first glance. I actually thought Newby was better than he has been."

"Nebraska ran it for 153 and I know some of that was Tommy, but the hand-off run game wasn't terrible, ... you saw some old-fashioned counter-trey, off-tackle power, lead play, quarterback sweeper, etc, I saw the run design by-and-large was good."

"Is there a team left on Nebraska's schedule that has better material (DL) than Miami? (answer: Michigan State) That's a pretty good defensive front that we just played, athletes all over in the secondary"

• Fire 2

More quotes:

"Is there anybody left on the schedule that will roll out the offensive skill players that Miami just did? (answer: NO) So I doubt that your'e gonna see the number of playmakers on the field offensively.... and just reeling from big play after big play.... look at the month of October: Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Purdue. Any of those teams gonna look like Miami with the dynamic playmakers and the NFL quarterback? I don't think so. I wish people would calm down"

when asked about secondary play and adjustments:

"On the goal line in particular it's been a frustration for 3 weeks. When you play inside the 10 with no middle of the field help, (with Gerry creeping up to help with the run) you can't play 7 yards off with outside leverage or you'll give up the slant constantly.... that's a structrual problem that needs to be addressed."

"Miami did attack that quarters coverage.... Miami obviously was well versed in that and did a good job. I think you almost would have been better off playing like a robber-style coverage... you give the inside leverage, but you have a single high safety that can help when he throws inside the hashes."

"There are areas of the team where we could stand a talent upgrade.... cornerbacks, defensive end, so quarters (defense) is kind of tough against prolific athletes on the edge. They're gonna take their shots against our corners. Right now that hasn't gone our way."

"Banderas looked like he hadn't practiced in two weeks - which he hadn't. Our tackling was poor again. When you don't practice in two weeks it's not gonna look good."

"i think we'll be fine, Gary"

• Fire 3

I guess he is a regular guest on Sharp & Benning. Assistant HS FB coach from Grand Island, former standout QB in HS and at Dakota Wesleyan.

Quick quotes:

"I'm sick of a certain segment of Nebraska's vaunted fanbase, bitching nonstop, the world's at an end, it was a terrible decision to fire the previous staff, on and on, and on ---- I mean WERE 3 GAMES IN! people are predicting a 5-7 season. Get a Grip."

"These guys are learning a brand new system, a brand new language, .... everything's brand new. 3 games in. There's gonna be some mistakes with personell groups, .. correctly targeting in the run game, pass protection, ....."

"Frankly does this look even remotely similar to what the last transition back in 2004 looked like? Not even close. I think people ought to be pretty tickled with the number of plays we are able to make on offense."

"I look at a guy in the mirror every morning that not too long ago said -- That quarterback might just be another guy. Well I think he's showing with each passing week that he's more than that. Probably a pretty good chance (I never thought I'd say this) that he might play football after college. How bout that one? ... He's gonna have the advantage of playing for two years in a pro-style offense with actual NFL coaching....he's toned down the in-your-face issues with his teammates, but he still plays like a lion, and gave us every chance to win that game."

I have a problem with this. People assume the fanbase is divided between pro-Mike Riley and pro-Bo Pelini. I don't think this is true.

Very few people think Pelini should still be here. I'm in that group. Most people are just skeptical of the Riley hire after agreeing Bo needed to be canned.

Personally, I think Mike Riley can be successful. However, he really needs to evaluate his coordinators. Banker was brought here after struggling at Oregon State. Through 3 games, our pass defense is pretty abysmal. At seasons end our total pass defense ranking will increase, mostly because of playing teams that can't exploit our coverage correctly, but it still needs to be addressed. If things are still going poorly at seasons end, things need to be evaluated.

• Fire 2

Quick quotes:

I have a problem with this. People assume the fanbase is divided between pro-Mike Riley and pro-Bo Pelini. I don't think this is true.

Very few people think Pelini should still be here. I'm in that group. Most people are just skeptical of the Riley hire after agreeing Bo needed to be canned.

Personally, I think Mike Riley can be successful. However, he really needs to evaluate his coordinators. Banker was brought here after struggling at Oregon State. Through 3 games, our pass defense is pretty abysmal. At seasons end our total pass defense ranking will increase, mostly because of playing teams that can't exploit our coverage correctly, but it still needs to be addressed. If things are still going poorly at seasons end, things need to be evaluated.

Just go back through multiple topics since the Miami game and there are quite a few references to "Why did we fire Pelini". Just because you don't feel that way doesn't mean it hasn't been said. Most of it was said in the vain of venting, but for the BP crowd this is just a reason to bring it up.

Quick quotes:

This x1000.