Some guys need to listen to this segment from Sharp and Benning this morning

NUinID

I don't have a problem with the offense, it will come along. Just watching the first 13 minutes of the first quarter, most of the issues are coachable. We need better effort on the line, guys are not being aggressive getting to the second level or on down blocks. Recievers need to catch those balls. Two more catches in the first and we're probably going score for score with Miami. Newby needs to meet defenders in the hole and not shy away from contact. You're going to get hit bud, just make sure they don't hit you clean.

Defense is just scarry though. Guys giving inside release when a safety is blitzing. Playing 5 yards off on 3rd and 3 across the board. Never really jamming WRs anyway. Not helping out your weak link at CB with a safety. Bringing a blitz from 5 yards deep when your 6 yards from the goal line, play should be over before the backers would get there.

• Fire 3

Thanks for transcribing that. I read along as I listened. He makes a lot of sense. I hope he is right when he says we will be fine. I do agree with him though about our upcoming schedule until Michigan St., those are all games where we won't see the type of talent we saw with Miami. I am just worried about if we play football like we did in the first three quarters against Miami. If that continues, we could drop a couple of those easier games.

I don't have a problem with the offense, it will come along. Just watching the first 13 minutes of the first quarter, most of the issues are coachable. We need better effort on the line, guys are not being aggressive getting to the second level or on down blocks. Recievers need to catch those balls. Two more catches in the first and we're probably going score for score with Miami. Newby needs to meet defenders in the hole and not shy away from contact. You're going to get hit bud, just make sure they don't hit you clean.

Defense is just scarry though. Guys giving inside release when a safety is blitzing. Playing 5 yards off on 3rd and 3 across the board. Never really jamming WRs anyway. Not helping out your weak link at CB with a safety. Bringing a blitz from 5 yards deep when your 6 yards from the goal line, play should be over before the backers would get there.

Great post. Catch the dang ball. And the D...wow....lots of changes needed there including game planning.

• Fire 1

Thanks for transcribing that. I read along as I listened. He makes a lot of sense. I hope he is right when he says we will be fine. I do agree with him though about our upcoming schedule until Michigan St., those are all games where we won't see the type of talent we saw with Miami. I am just worried about if we play football like we did in the first three quarters against Miami. If that continues, we could drop a couple of those easier games.

That may actually be the best thing for this team right now. The schedule lightening up for a bit, that is.

If there was ever a time we needed to play some lesser opponents, it's right now. I love the excitement of playing big time schools like Miami and BYU, but having those as two of our first three games under Riley really complicates learning and executing (I barfed a little in my mouth) the new schemes that are being taught.

These upcoming games are certainly talented enough to be competitive, but should definitely be a notch down from Miami and BYU. This gives everyone valuable in game reps to grow more comfortable and hopefully gel better. Coaches get more time to evaluate players and how well they may fit the scheme, or if they need to adjust things. It could also do wonders for our confidence if things do go well.

A confident bunch rolling into the Wiscy game could be a dangerous bunch.

I have a problem with this. People assume the fanbase is divided between pro-Mike Riley and pro-Bo Pelini. I don't think this is true.

I don't get that either...

Very few people think Pelini should still be here. I'm in that group. Most people are just skeptical of the Riley hire after agreeing Bo needed to be canned.

Bo's run was obviously coming to an end. Did we make a good hire, I don't think we did...

FYI...If you're not a fan of modern country, start the show at 1:10.

Don't know what garbage they had up front...but it sounded like a wounded dog on a hunting trip.

Also, I don't agree with the schedule assessments they're making. I think Miami is good, maybe even Top 25 good...but I don't see where Miami is heads and shoulders above anyone else on our schedule. For example, tOSU has excellent playmakers all over the field on both sides of the ball, I do think that MSU's Conner Cook is much better than billed, and I don't think Miami's defense was anything close to stout, and we'll see much better defenses (MSU, tOSU, Wisky?) in B1G play.

Do I think the sky is falling? No. But I am worried that our coaches are Cosgroving ourselves out of games (e.g. our OC's 3rd and short calls this season, the lack of our hands team on the field in OT, our defensive scheme, lack of O-Line substitution), and if Riley will do what is necessary (up to and including changing staff) to get the job done.

• Fire 2

Also, I don't agree with the schedule assessments they're making. I think Miami is good, maybe even Top 25 good...but I don't see where Miami is heads and shoulders above anyone else on our schedule. For example, tOSU has excellent playmakers all over the field on both sides of the ball, I do think that MSU's Conner Cook is much better than billed, and I don't think Miami's defense was anything close to stout, and we'll see much better defenses (MSU, tOSU, Wisky?) in B1G play.

Do I think the sky is falling? No. But I am worried that our coaches are Cosgroving ourselves out of games (e.g. our OC's 3rd and short calls this season, the lack of our hands team on the field in OT, our defensive scheme, lack of O-Line substitution), and if Riley will do what is necessary (up to and including changing staff) to get the job done.

Ohio State isn't on our schedule, unless you are assuming we win the West.

He did qualify the B1G defenses by excluding MSU from the generalization. I agree that there are very good defenses left on our schedule, but I think he was more just referencing the talent and athleticism, which Miami has in spades, and squanders with bad coaching. I agree that we shouldn't underestimate the B1g west's defenses, though, because the coaching is better.

On offense, I agree that Connor Cook is an NFL level QB, and he missed that in his statements, but do you really think there are any other offenses left on our schedule that scare you?

Ohio State isn't on our schedule, unless you are assuming we win the West.

He did qualify the B1G defenses by excluding MSU from the generalization. I agree that there are very good defenses left on our schedule, but I think he was more just referencing the talent and athleticism, which Miami has in spades, and squanders with bad coaching. I agree that we shouldn't underestimate the B1g west's defenses, though, because the coaching is better.

On offense, I agree that Connor Cook is an NFL level QB, and he missed that in his statements, but do you really think there are any other offenses left on our schedule that scare you?

This is very true, there are teams that always have talent, they can't help it. Miami, USC, Alabama, UCLA, FSU, Florida, OSU these are team that always have top end talent, but its only when they have the coaching to go with it do they really dominate.

No one should sleep on the defenses of the big 10 west. There are some good defenses, but other than MSU the talent isn't as good as Miami.