The improvement of Tommy Armstrong

Saunders

I think the single most impressive thing I've seen this year, is how much better Tommy has played so far. Even with less running support than he's had in the past, he's been throwing pretty accurate passes, and has gone away from the "f it, I'm going deep" thing he used to do. Yeah, he had some picks against Miami, but we were in desperation mode where the D knew we were throwing (and we weren't running all that much at that point). Considering the competition, he's clearly the best QB in our division, and probably 3-4 in the conference.

• Fire 2

I think the single most impressive thing I've seen this year, is how much better Tommy has played so far. Even with less running support than he's had in the past, he's been throwing pretty accurate passes, and has gone away from the "f it, I'm going deep" thing he used to do. Yeah, he had some picks against Miami, but we were in desperation mode where the D knew we were throwing (and we weren't running all that much at that point). Considering the competition, he's clearly the best QB in our division, and probably 3-4 in the conference.

And if he is the best QB in the West, then we have more than a puncher's chance to go to Indy.

And if he is the best QB in the West, then we have more than a puncher's chance to go to Indy.

Yeah, I think we do. What will get us over the top will be if we can protect the D, and fix the secondary issues.

2 of the 3 picks from Miami were on him. That middle one was a fluke.

The 1st one looked to me like he threw it hard right thinking the receiver would stay covered and not break left. The 3rd, he just under threw.

I don't wanna get into a pissing match about schematics and assignements. There is no statistic against a receiver who should have been somewhere else. There is a QB interception stat though. And if we wanna keep our punchers chance at Indy, Tommy needs to just settle down some in those clutch situations. He wants to be the hero so bad, you can tell. Part of that is playing cool in that situation.

The 1st one looked to me like he threw it hard right thinking the receiver would stay covered and not break left. The 3rd, he just under threw.

I don't wanna get into a pissing match about schematics and assignements. There is no statistic against a receiver who should have been somewhere else. There is a QB interception stat though. And if we wanna keep our punchers chance at Indy, Tommy needs to just settle down some in those clutch situations. He wants to be the hero so bad, you can tell. Part of that is playing cool in that situation.

On the 1st pick, Stanley Morgan ran the wrong route, which he said in the post game. The third, I think Tommy just shortarmed it. The WR was open, he just underthrew the ball.

On the 1st pick, Stanley Morgan ran the wrong route, which he said in the post game. The third, I think Tommy just shortarmed it. The WR was open, he just underthrew the ball.

The second, he threw into tight double coverage. It was lucky to be caught on the deflection, but did hit a defender in the shoulder pad. :lol:

The second, he threw into tight double coverage. It was lucky to be caught on the deflection, but did hit a defender in the shoulder pad. :lol:

Yeah, that was a dicey throw no matter what.

Tommy can look really good at times. That strong arm. He hits Westerkamp in stride with no problem and it looks nice. He ran a few times against the Canes and picked up some pretty good yards. Then there was the one pass that the Hurricanes db simply dropped which was a sure int and a few other passes that easily could have been interceptions.

Great arm strength. A good runner for a QB. Still erratic as far as turnovers which is the key when asked to throw it a bunch of times against decent competition.

Totally agree, Saunders.

I think this is what happens when you ditch the zone read and option - You free up countless practice hours that would have been spent running those plays, and you give him passing reps. Combine that with an offensive coordinator that clearly knows how to coach quarterbacks, and voila.

I have been critical of Tommy in the past, but I am very impressed with what I've seen this season. Yes, he still makes some decisions that are questionable. But, I think his mechanics have improved tremendously over the last couple of seasons. He made some throws against Miami that I really took notice of. I'm excited to see what he can accomplish for the remainder of his career here.