Secondary play...

BIG ERN

The problem is talent and scheme, but not in the secondary. It is art LB. We are and have been terrible at LB and that puts a lot of pressure on the DBs and DL.

Edit: not completely secondary is what I am saying

Today, I would disagree. The LB's were counted on a lot today and more often than not, they made clutch plays. Our secondary is all scheme at this point IMO. We HAVE talent back there but its being driven into the ground by an incompetent coach. I have no idea how the secondary coach is still employed.

For those who are trying to blame the Linebackers for the pass defense, how much better can they play than they did on Saturday?

Linebackers Marcus Newby, Chris Weber and Dedrick Young: Nebraska’s best position group Saturday, they combined for 20 tackles and five pass breakups. Position coach Trent Bray has coached up three guys who’d never started a game before this season into a pretty good unit.

OWH

• Fire 1

The LBs aren't the problem this year. It's lack of pressure from the front four and a secondary so suspect, they belong in the lineup from The Usual Suspects.

See, we should have picked up this fella:

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/13642057-125/what-a-rush-lsu-defensive

Thanks to LSU’s new and vastly improved pass rush, the New Orleans native has done what he always wanted to do — in back-to-back games.
With an assist from freshman defensive end Arden Key, Jones picked off passes in seventh-ranked LSU’s wins over Syracuse and Eastern Michigan.
Jones returned the second one 26 yards for a touchdown that capped a 44-22 victory Saturday night in Tiger Stadium.

“It was a dream come true,” Jones said of his pick-six that finally ended Eastern Michigan’s bid for a monumental upset. “I always hoped for those moments to happen the past three years, and it finally happened.”

Two days later, Jones made sure to credit Key and his fellow pass rushers, who are now under the direction of new defensive line coach Ed Orgeron and new defensive coordinator Kevin Steele.

LSU already has piled up 11 sacks — 9½ by defensive linemen — in four games. The Tigers had just 19 sacks in 13 games a year ago.

Tom Lemming@LemmingReport

Dec 4

I just talked to Coach Orgeron he would be very interested in a Job at Nebraska has yet to hear from Coach Riley and he has heard the rumors

Sigh....

On TBL's post game show podcast, Joe Ganz said on Wisky's 3rd and 5 in our RZ, we had Jonathan Rose playing 10 yards off the ball. Haven't had a chance to offload my footage, so I haven't been able to look up the play.

10 yards is a stretch but 6-7 yards and backpedaling. When the QB has time to stare you down, double-clutch and still complete a sideways pass all the way across the field, that's terrible coverage.

l3BNSC.jpg

• Fire 2

On TBL's post game show podcast, Joe Ganz said on Wisky's 3rd and 5 in our RZ, we had Jonathan Rose playing 10 yards off the ball. Haven't had a chance to offload my footage, so I haven't been able to look up the play.

10 yards is a stretch but 6-7 yards and backpedaling. When the QB has time to stare you down, double-clutch and still complete a sideways pass all the way across the field, that's terrible coverage.

l3BNSC.jpg

When you're running cover two and your Secondary can't cover, what do you do?

Throw to the TE. Guy had four catches coming into Saturday's game.

He gets six and a touch.

The way the secondary is playing, it's like you could throw quarters coverage out there. Wouldn't matter.

l3BNSC.jpg

He gets six and a touch.

The way the secondary is playing, it's like you could throw quarters coverage out there. Wouldn't matter.

This is our quarters coverage. Not Cover 2.

Davie (Sr) Started all 13 games last year

Cockrell (Sr) Played in all 13 games, started 6

Gerry (Jr) Started all 13 games

Kalu (So) Played in all 13 games, started 2

This group was #4 IN THE NATION in passing defense last season. I am tired of hearing how much talent we don't have back there. This 'scheme' and coaching is not working for this group.

• #1 overall in opponent's QB completion %
  • Only allowed 168 yards passing/game

I get that we couldn't stop the run game last season, but this isn't the point I am making. We act like we have all 4 new starters as DBs when this clearly isn't the case. 4 games now and nothing has changed yet.

Yep, plus, I felt that under Bo the schemes were all so damn complicated that at times it seemed we were too technical. It seemed we needed something more simple so the kids could be athletic and just play football. I realize that their is a new system and defenses in place in various ways but geez ... who saw this with all that experience.

l3BNSC.jpg

He gets six and a touch.

This is our quarters coverage. Not Cover 2.

eyeswear2allthatsholy:laughpound

l3BNSC.jpg

Yeesh...