Secondary play...

BIG ERN

SYnZGn.gif

You think they want J. Rose doing this on 3rd and 9?

He plays off and gives the WR the first down, but watch his footwork right as the receiver is making his break. Rose takes a huge step backward, he's clearly afraid of getting beat over the top even though the receiver is still 3 yards in front of him. Rose can't recover from that terrible footwork. He could have easily challenged the receiver in press coverage and if he had any faith in his skills, should have played the man stride for stride and if the WR did go deep, you force the QB to make a tough throw over the top. Instead, it's a pitch and catch, no contact made by the DB on an easy 9 yard-out route.

I think the DB's think if they wave their hands in the "incomplete signal" that maybe it helps.

It could have been worse. Watch #11 get open :facepalm:

• Fire 1

SYnZGn.gif

You think they want J. Rose doing this on 3rd and 9?

He plays off and gives the WR the first down, but watch his footwork right as the receiver is making his break. Rose takes a huge step backward, he's clearly afraid of getting beat over the top even though the receiver is still 3 yards in front of him. Rose can't recover from that terrible footwork. He could have easily challenged the receiver in press coverage and if he had any faith in his skills, should have played the man stride for stride and if the WR did go deep, you force the QB to make a tough throw over the top. Instead, it's a pitch and catch, no contact made by the DB on an easy 9 yard-out route.

I think the DB's think if they wave their hands in the "incomplete signal" that maybe it helps.

It could have been worse. Watch #11 get open :facepalm:

To be fair that should have been offensive pass interference. That's clearly a pick

For the record, and again in defense of Davie. It's not him. Its the scheme and crappy coaching......

When McEvoy, a former QB, switched to WR and then safety outperforms our DB's that's an issue. When he understands the concept of looking for the ball and ours do not, that's a problem. When one of our DB's pass break ups was because he was burnt, out of position and while trying to track the receiver sees the ball, that's a problem.

• Fire 2

The yards won't show it but the secondary played way better this week. I saw a lot more contested passes. Some they got. Some they didn't. But I think they looked more confident out there.

I would say the secondary play was marginally better. The coverage was better than it has been but that's not saying much. But - just like Southern Miss - I'd put good money on most of the "better play" being due to a pretty conservative game plan from Wisconsin. They ran a lot and threw short passes through the first three quarters. Then, in the fourth quarter when they needed to pass, we had no chance.

Stave was 16-36 for 190 yards through three quarters. He was 8-14 for 132 yards in the fourth quarter.

Neweby did look really good in coverage. Not sure the guys he was covering were very athletic but he did well with what he had to do.