Secondary play...

BIG ERN

Until it's done, just more coach speak. We've been fed these types of lines for years now, lets actually get it done coach.

It's never fun for fans to be in a position where we're looking for answers, but at least this staff seems to be taking responsibility on themselves by saying "we're doing everything we can to fix it" where as the last staff always seemed to shirk responsibility by saying "the players just need to play better."

Just to clarify my position, since I'm new here: I'm no Bo-hater. I haven't liked him much since the Wisconsin B1G Championship Game blow out, but I didn't think he should have been fired last year (purely from a PR perspective -- should've been allowed to have a losing season first so ESPN couldn't write the narrative "Nebraska fires another 9-win coach"). That being said, I like Riley a lot, think Langsdorf is border-line brilliant (first time in a decade I don't know the play before we run it), and think Bray has 2-tons of potential. Jury's still out on Banker, but I'm willing to give him two seasons before casting any aspersions.

A lot of fans during the 80's and very early 90's would have gladly helped McBride pack his bags. Our defense pretty much got lit up by any team we played that had talent on par with ours. McBride's defenses didn't get good until we started to get better faster players. Before then, those guys typically always ended up playing offense. Once we got the speed, our defense improved dramatically. Our DL for the most part is average. Our LBs for the most part are absolutely horrid. We do have decent talent in the secondary, but they can't anchor this defense all by themselves. I really don't think it's too difficult to see how or why Bo Pelini defenses set as many records as they did. We just don't have the horses on that side of the ball and haven't since probably 2010. Banker's pretty much playing poker with a pair of deuces right now. It's imperative we hit the JuCo's hard and fast for immediate talent upgrades, or it'll be rinse and repeat next year as well.

Until it's done, just more coach speak. We've been fed these types of lines for years now, lets actually get it done coach.

Unfortunately I have to agree. And apparently all the lines about "these coaches have experience", "we have three DCs on staff" and "this staff will make adjustments" are all just hope that people were clinging to.

There are only three options at this point:

- The coaches don't have any other plan to try anything different than what they've run in the first four games

- They are too stubborn to try anything else, insistent that their plan will work if it's executed properly (that sounds familiar)

- Sticking with their system is more important in the long run that winning some games

That these coaches have more experience than the last staff is a fact, not a line that we've been fed.

However, none of that experience means anything if they're not willing or able to fix what's not working.

If they're not able to fix it because they don't have the ability, that's on them and we'll have to make a change at the end of the year.

If they're not able to fix it because we don't have the right personnel, it'll take another year.

• Fire 1

That these coaches have more experience than the last staff is a fact, not a line that we've been fed.

However, none of that experience means anything if they're not willing or able to fix what's not working.

If they're not able to fix it because they don't have the ability, that's on them and we'll have to make a change at the end of the year.

If they're not able to fix it because we don't have the right personnel, it'll take another year.

if it is poor players, it will take more than a year to fix.........i think it is injuries and poor players in the secondary......mostly, with some scheme issues, being dead last in pass defense is pitiful.

we will get picked apart back there for the rest of the season.

This was my point.

They say they are looking at everything, including scheme. Where do any of you get that they are not willing to try and fix it. 408 always threw the players under the bus, not this staff.

• Fire 1

This was my point.

They say they are looking at everything, including scheme. Where do any of you get that they are not willing to try and fix it. 408 always threw the players under the bus, not this staff.

I don't think it's that they aren't willing to, it's just we haven't seen anything yet that says they have done so.

This was my point.

I don't think it's that they aren't willing to, it's just we haven't seen anything yet that says they have done so.

If the reason is injuries and lack of talent, it will not get fixed this year.

This was my point.

I'm not saying they won't try. My question is why isn't there a backup plan already? We've tried nothing different through four games. So apparently the experience hasn't really gained them much.

We have a simple scheme that basically gives one look to opposing QBs. All they have to do is figure out which safety is going to play the zone coverage and they know pretty much what everyone else is going to do. Usually you can tell by alignment who is covering which receiver. And opponents can basically get whatever matchup they want with formation and motion. So it seems that Banker hasn't used his 12 years experience to develop any disguises or backup plans. What you see is what you get.

I'm not saying they won't try. My question is why isn't there a backup plan already? We've tried nothing different through four games. So apparently the experience hasn't really gained them much.

We have a simple scheme that basically gives one look to opposing QBs. All they have to do is figure out which safety is going to play the zone coverage and they know pretty much what everyone else is going to do. Usually you can tell by alignment who is covering which receiver. And opponents can basically get whatever matchup they want with formation and motion. So it seems that Banker hasn't used his 12 years experience to develop any disguises or backup plans. What you see is what you get.

This is presuming Banker's been able to install all 12 years of his experience into the players' heads in nine months. That may be a little bit of an ambitious presumption.

• Fire 1

This was my point.

I think Linebacker is more important to his scheme than most people think and with the rash of injuries and playing youngsters, the middle of the field has been a playground for Qb's

• Fire 1

This was my point.

You might have seen this already (I got the link from you) but according to Riley, they are trying different things. Everything from 19:30 is on good, but the relevant part starts at 23:35, talking about how, for the first time, they switched into a Cover-6 at one point to give some help.

http://www.huskers.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=4468493&db_oem_id=100