Banker = Cosgrove

These 408 posts are getting real lame. We get it, Bo had some very bad games. Do we have to hear about it every time people try to make commentary about the CURRENT staff?

Well, some people need a schtick because they don't bring anything relevant to the conversation. Instead of trying to critically analyze, they'd rather bash the players, and not shift any of the blame to the guys getting paid millions of dollars.

How quaint.

I assume that you are singling me out, You try to dismiss what I bring to the table, which has included (facts, stats. and video) in the last few days to back up my points, just because you can't dispute it, you try to discredit and kill the messenger. As a poster, that is within bounds, as a mod. that is unprofessional. I will continue to bring facts to back up my solid points as needed.

Oh, you mean your anecdotes? We have the worst passing defense in the country. Tell me with a straight face that it's solely due to our lack of talent, and it's not due to scheme/coaching.

Also, I've done nothing other than point out you would rather trash our players, instead of holding the coaches (who make millions of dollars) accountable. Any perceived slights beyond that is on you.

Facts, stats, video, can not be refuted. You say I do not bring anything relevant to the conversation, my guess I that plenty on the board would disagree. I do not believe it is solely our lack of talent, just 85% of it. The men who make millions will do fine as the season and their careers progress. 408 stole millions without producing anything, we can give the current staff plenty of leeway before they ever get to his level.

I'm not sure it's 85%.

It's probably 50-50. We don't have the talent to work Bankers scheme. And Banker is using a scheme not conducive to the players talent.

Right, which is why I put it on the coaches to adjust the scheme. We heard all offseason how they were good at adapting to talent, and how they would mold the scheme to work with what we have.

Langsdorf and the offense has done it, quite efficiently.

Banker? Nope...

I kind of agree with this. I asked the same from Pelini too. I asked over and over for him to change his scheme because his players could not execute it.

Here's the thing though. Four games into the year, I'm not entirely sure Banker knows what he's got as far as talent goes. Between the injuries and plain unfamiliarity, I think they're trying to find the guys who can actually execute HIS scheme, and I don't blame him. A coach deserves the chance to utilize what he wants from his defense and his scheme.

Now Banker may learn that he simply does not have the tools to do so, and I expect there to be some changes as we go along. Maybe even this weekend already. But I don't blame him for challenging the guys he's got to step up and make his defense work. They just haven't done so thus far.

So as a coach, Banker has to think, does it serve him better to make changes to what he's been teaching these guys thus far? Or does he continue to try to make the players he has, get better at executing what they've been working on for the 9 months they've been here?

It's not an easy situation to be in, but I agree, if things don't get better he will be forced to make a decision on the immediate future.

• Fire 1

I thought Riley was had this incredible eye for talent. Why would he even take this job if the talent level was so poor?

Seriously, "poor talent level" is not a good excuse for Riley's performance.

Riley said he was shocked when he looked at the depth chart the day after he was hired.

What was Cincy using last night? The looked pretty comfortable dealing with Miami.

I agree with Saunders' point about expecting the new staff to make adjustments in their scheme to take advantage of the players strengths. Whatever we're doing now has all but made Gerry disappear. As good as TO was, he was always willing to make changes to the offense or defense to get the most out of what he had. Maybe that was why he was so good. Why do we keep bringing in coaches who can only do things one way, the way they always have done before. Why not take the opportunity to broaden your coaching expertise and work in some new ideas? Or is it only the players that must make changes?

Curious, has Banker really said anything about the pass defense? Like anything at all about what they intend to do to fix it? Not being a smartass, seriously wondering.

Good column in the journal star , interview with Stewart about the issues. You might want to read it.

Transitions can be difficult, let's give it some time. We should see some improvement as the season goes on. If we don't there may be a real issue.

I'm seeing more poor technique in the secondary than poor scheme. Guys are reverting back to old habits in stressful situations. I think if we are starting to point fingers then maybe they should be at Stewart. We're only 4 games in so I'm not ready to start pointing fingers.

Our inexperienced LBs are getting picked on as well in coverage. Hopefully with some more experience they will do better.

What was Cincy using last night? The looked pretty comfortable dealing with Miami.

I agree with Saunders' point about expecting the new staff to make adjustments in their scheme to take advantage of the players strengths. Whatever we're doing now has all but made Gerry disappear. As good as TO was, he was always willing to make changes to the offense or defense to get the most out of what he had. Maybe that was why he was so good. Why do we keep bringing in coaches who can only do things one way, the way they always have done before. Why not take the opportunity to broaden your coaching expertise and work in some new ideas? Or is it only the players that must make changes?

This, from Riches to rags in one season. I really hoped in this D he would excel........

Cindy did change up in the 2nd half. Interesting commentary from Tubberville:

SPEED KILLS: The Bearcats used three new defensive starters, all redshirt freshmen: Defensive backs Tyrell Gilbert (Princeton High School) and Alex Thomas and defensive end Kimoni Fitz.

A key play saw Gilbert break up a Miami 4th-and-goal pass from the Bearcats 5-yard line with 4:41 left. That was the last gasp for Miami.

UC at times played as many as six freshmen (including redshirt and true) on defense, as Tuberville followed through on his promise to make big changes this week.

Mainly, UC is playing some faster but younger players on defense, going with speed over game experience.

"We've been trying to build speed," Tuberville said. "That's all we've been recruiting, athletes and speed. If you look across the board in the secondary, (safety) Zach Edwards (Middletown HS) is the only guy that played three-fourths of the time that played the first two games.

"We just decided a couple weeks ago, enough is enough. We've got to put athletes out there. If they make mistakes they make 'em, but usually they can make up for it because of the speed and quickness they have."

Maybe would should burn the Davis twins shirts and get that athleticism on the field........

This, from Riches to rags in one season. I really hoped in this D he would excel........

Cindy did change up in the 2nd half. Interesting commentary from Tubberville:

SPEED KILLS: The Bearcats used three new defensive starters, all redshirt freshmen: Defensive backs Tyrell Gilbert (Princeton High School) and Alex Thomas and defensive end Kimoni Fitz.

A key play saw Gilbert break up a Miami 4th-and-goal pass from the Bearcats 5-yard line with 4:41 left. That was the last gasp for Miami.

UC at times played as many as six freshmen (including redshirt and true) on defense, as Tuberville followed through on his promise to make big changes this week.

Mainly, UC is playing some faster but younger players on defense, going with speed over game experience.

"We've been trying to build speed," Tuberville said. "That's all we've been recruiting, athletes and speed. If you look across the board in the secondary, (safety) Zach Edwards (Middletown HS) is the only guy that played three-fourths of the time that played the first two games.

"We just decided a couple weeks ago, enough is enough. We've got to put athletes out there. If they make mistakes they make 'em, but usually they can make up for it because of the speed and quickness they have."

Maybe would should burn the Davis twins shirts and get that athleticism on the field........

What are you talking about? Gerry already has two interceptions and 21 tackles. He didn't play as well as we expect from him against Southern Miss, but he was recovering from the flu.

If he keeps getting interceptions at this rate, he'll get more interceptions this year than he did last year (6 this year vs. 5 last year).

I thought Riley was had this incredible eye for talent. Why would he even take this job if the talent level was so poor?

Just curious.

Who do you purpose, realistically, should be the coach right now for Nebraska that would have had more immediate success with the players that are on the team?

Pretty much anybody. We brought in a .500 old guy and his old mediocre staff who are all set in their ways. Almost anybody else within reason (meaning an actual current NCAA HC or coordinator ) would've likely done better. But that's what happens when you fire winning coaches. Lots of good candidates take themselves out of the running pretty quickly.

Just like Urban Meyer in '03. "We actually were contacted by a third party. Not directly. I remember thinking about it. I had such great respect for Solich. He's an Ohio guy who's a good friend of mine and I didn't agree with everything that went down. They won 10 games that year, right? That was alarming to me. I remember having great respect for the school but being concerned about what happened and why it happened. If 10 games isn't good enough, I'm not sure what is?"

Riley said he was shocked when he looked at the depth chart the day after he was hired.

Shocked as in "gee whilikers they got a lot more players than we had at OSU!" Hell, he had to split everybody up into two groups. He'd never had to deal with numbers like that before.

Shocked as in "gee whilikers they got a lot more players than we had at OSU!" Hell, he had to split everybody up into two groups. He'd never had to deal with numbers like that before.

Quantity doesn't mean quality.