Banker = Cosgrove

I'm really not sure how one draws the conclusion that the current staff owns the poor pass defense after acknowledging that the LB situation is a mess and we have issues at DE due to the previous staff.

Because I can watch the DBs play? Because former players have said as much?

IDK...

I look at it like this: the defense was bad last year and fell apart regularly. This year, it's a different scheme and so the areas that get exposed are different, but the quality of the defense is about the same old story.

Also, we point out all the time how bad the stats in the first four games are -- but don't seem to mention what players we've not had on the field for a substantial part of it, and how that might be affecting the entire defense's play.

But, I am admittedly glass half full with a dash of optimism on the side.

You're not allowed to mention missing personnel. We have all the talent needed

if we had all the talent we needed, it wouldn't matter that a couple guys are out.....we are thin at all positions, offense and defense and a bit short on speed..

I'm really not sure how one draws the conclusion that the current staff owns the poor pass defense after acknowledging that the LB situation is a mess and we have issues at DE due to the previous staff.

IDK...

I look at it like this: the defense was bad last year and fell apart regularly. This year, it's a different scheme and so the areas that get exposed are different, but the quality of the defense is about the same old story.

Also, we point out all the time how bad the stats in the first four games are -- but don't seem to mention what players we've not had on the field for a substantial part of it, and how that might be affecting the entire defense's play.

You're not allowed to mention missing personnel. We have all the talent needed

if we had all the talent we needed, it wouldn't matter that a couple guys are out.....we are thin at all positions, offense and defense and a bit short on speed..

Nope. Talent is not the issue. It's only coaching.

It's funny, there's a list of excuses or legitimate reasons for some struggles:

New staff

New scheme

Attrition at key positions

Lack of depth

Injuries

Lack of experience

Those would be on my short list of "excuses" for defensive struggles, but the funny thing is, after 7 years of excuses for the last guy, the Bo-lievers just don't want to hear anymore excuses. As if we weren't all tired of excuses for failing.

Somehow the excuses just seem so much more valid right now. I wonder why? It could have something to do with those silly conversations we had all off-season about a coaching transition. I still have the impression as I scroll through this board, that many of those conversations didn't change much for some people. No sir, they expected this staff to walk in and have things rocking!

Better staff = More wins That was the logic. Yep, simple math really.

Funny thing is, we've still got all our goals in front of us. We have a shot at this crazy West division this year it turns out. Mostly thanks to an offense, and a kid named Tommy Armstrong (I will play my "told you so" card someday) all coming together very quickly. Maybe those goals vanish and we lose some tough ones and I'll move on with hope for the future. Like I said, I like the direction of the team, I like these coaches, and when we got things going on both sides of the ball, we look like we could be really, really good.

:yeah

Is this the only year that roster mis-management and lack of talent has affected the team? I know kchusker_chris has been complaining about it for years now.

Also, it's not like injuries haven't affected us grossly in the past (Burkhead, Ameer, MRI, Bell, Gregory, Steinkuhler, Martinez, Zaire, et al). Despite roster mis-management and injuries, this team still found ways to win 9+ games and win the division multiple times.

Even if those excuses are present, the experienced Mark Banker should be able to work through it. John Papuchis did. :lol:

• Fire 3

Is this the only year that roster mis-management and lack of talent has affected the team? I know kchusker_chris has been complaining about it for years now.

Also, it's not like injuries haven't affected us grossly in the past (Burkhead, Ameer, MRI, Bell, Gregory, Steinkuhler, Martinez, Zaire, et al). Despite roster mis-management and injuries, this team still found ways to win 9+ games and win the division multiple times.

Even if those excuses are present, the experienced Mark Banker should be able to work through it. John Papuchis did. :lol:

I haven't seen any coaches making any excuses as to why the defense hasn't had great pass coverage. I do believe the are doing their best to rectify the situation in their scheme of things. Injuries do happen, I would like to see our top 3 line backers play a whole game together healthy and see if that might make a difference.

Say the word Bo-liever, and the usual suspects show up every time.

I guess I don't get your point? Saying that it's been a problem for a long time means it shouldn't be that big of a deal? Actually, the longer you mismanage a roster and don't develop your talent, the bigger the issue becomes. I think Bo Pelini would have found out in a very, very hard way this year. I'd be intrigued to know what exactly he would be able to pull together in a season like this. I'm betting it wouldn't be pretty.

You realize we are only four games into the schedule with game five on the horizon? This staff still has every possibility of winning nine games, even with the two losses against a couple of the tougher non-conference opponents we've had in a long time.

Papuchis, what's he doing nowadays?

10 things I have learned from this thread:

1) Bo sucked at stopping the run

2) Banker sucks at stopping the pass

3) Banker needs more time?

4) No, Banker sucks, fire him?

5) Cosgrove sucked at everything.

6) Saying 408 a lot makes your post awesome.

7) RADAR thinks Bo sucks

8) We haven't been good defensively in a long time

9) Nothing has been resolved

10) 408 408 408 408 408 408

• Fire 2

10 things I have learned from this thread:

1) Bo sucked at stopping the run

2) Banker sucks at stopping the pass

3) Banker needs more time?

4) No, Banker sucks, fire him?

5) Cosgrove sucked at everything.

6) Saying 408 a lot makes your post awesome.

7) RADAR thinks Bo sucks

8) We haven't been good defensively in a long time

9) Nothing has been resolved

10) 408 408 408 408 408 408

I think you just summed up the majority of the threads for the next few years.

• Fire 1

IDK...

I think are being a realist, but reality isn't what a lot of people want to hear.

The worst defensive games in Nebraska history. Some of these players were part of 5 of the worst defensive games ever played for Nebraska. 408 coached 7 of the top 9... really embarrassing.

2012 Wisconsin - 10.67 yards/play (640 yards/60 plays)

2014 Wisconsin - 9.50 yards/play (627 yards/66 plays)

1996 Texas - 8.82 yards/play (503/57)

2008 Texas Tech - 8.77 (421/48)

2001 Colorado - 8.56 (582/68)

2013 Georgia - 8.30 (589/71)

2013 Wyoming - 8.25 (602/73)

2012 Ohio St - 8.03 (498/62)

2008 Missouri - 7.97 (462/58)

IOW . . .

"Hey Husker players! Roll over and give up. You suck!"

Not the point! It is clear that the farther into 408's tenure, the worse he got at defense. The players he recruited are not good enough for this level of D-1 football. Not the kids fault, they need to play as hard as they can while they are here if for nothing else, out of respect for themselves.

Banker needs better talent, he has some, but not enough top level guys. When a bunch of walkons are out preforming the guys on scholarship, that is a problem.

One thing that is clear, 408 was the worst defensive coach Nebraska has ever had and maybe a worse recruiter than Frank. Banker has quite a hole to dig out of. With time, I think he can do it. When outsiders like Dinardo point out how deficient we are talent wise, it might be time for some of you to take a listen instead of bashing the coaches that are trying to fix this mess.

I'm not arguing with you about Bo. I'm pointing out how counter-productive it is for you to bash the players.

• Fire 2

Bo didn't suck as a defensive coach. He sucked at recruiting players to run his scheme.

Exactly. A lot of people were fans of Bo's defensive coaching. Bret Bielema, Jim Tressel, Brady Hoke, Gary Anderson to name just a few...

Then why does he dominate the list of worst defensive games in Nebraska football history. Coz is down the list. The stats clearly show he was a better coach at Nebraska. The results were not good but he was a step up from the Genius that forgot how to stop the run.

This post has been clearly ignored, please, someone list all of the good or even average defensive coaches that DOMINATE the list of of worst defensive games in their schools history. 408 was not a good headcoach or a even average defensive coach. The stats show that Coz (the most hated defensive husker coach ever) was clearly better. I frankly would credit Carl with 408 early success at Nebraska, but he got busy baggin chicks and breakin camera's and had to go. It doomed his brother.

The funniest part about this is, either you REALLY missed what I was saying in the post you initially replied to, or you've got a seriously dry sense of humor.

And then you doubled down on it by quoting yourself, saying "This post has been clearly ignored..."

:confucius

:wasted

The worst defensive games in Nebraska history. Some of these players were part of 5 of the worst defensive games ever played for Nebraska. 408 coached 7 of the top 9... really embarrassing.

2012 Wisconsin - 10.67 yards/play (640 yards/60 plays)

2014 Wisconsin - 9.50 yards/play (627 yards/66 plays)

1996 Texas - 8.82 yards/play (503/57)

2008 Texas Tech - 8.77 (421/48)

2001 Colorado - 8.56 (582/68)

2013 Georgia - 8.30 (589/71)

2013 Wyoming - 8.25 (602/73)

2012 Ohio St - 8.03 (498/62)

2008 Missouri - 7.97 (462/58)

IOW . . .

Not the point! It is clear that the farther into 408's tenure, the worse he got at defense. The players he recruited are not good enough for this level of D-1 football. Not the kids fault, they need to play as hard as they can while they are here if for nothing else, out of respect for themselves.

Banker needs better talent, he has some, but not enough top level guys. When a bunch of walkons are out preforming the guys on scholarship, that is a problem.

One thing that is clear, 408 was the worst defensive coach Nebraska has ever had and maybe a worse recruiter than Frank. Banker has quite a hole to dig out of. With time, I think he can do it. When outsiders like Dinardo point out how deficient we are talent wise, it might be time for some of you to take a listen instead of bashing the coaches that are trying to fix this mess.

I'm not arguing with you about Bo. I'm pointing out how counter-productive it is for you to bash the players.

Glad to here it, I am pointing out for those that want to throw Banker under the bus after 1/3 of a season, that he needs better players. I am not bashing the players, I am critical of the recruiting that brought them here.

2012 Wisconsin - 10.67 yards/play (640 yards/60 plays)2014 Wisconsin - 9.50 yards/play (627 yards/66 plays)

1996 Texas - 8.82 yards/play (503/57)2008 Texas Tech - 8.77 (421/48)

2001 Colorado - 8.56 (582/68)2013 Georgia - 8.30 (589/71)2013 Wyoming - 8.25 (602/73)2012 Ohio St - 8.03 (498/62)2008 Missouri - 7.97 (462/58)

IOW . . .

Glad to here it, I am pointing out for those that want to throw Banker under the bus after 1/3 of a season, that he needs better players. I am not bashing the players, I am critical of the recruiting that brought them here.

Lol whut? You aren't bashing the players, you are just saying they don't belong here? Ummmm...

• Fire 2

Bo didn't suck as a defensive coach. He sucked at recruiting players to run his scheme.

Exactly. A lot of people were fans of Bo's defensive coaching. Bret Bielema, Jim Tressel, Brady Hoke, Gary Anderson to name just a few...

Then why does he dominate the list of worst defensive games in Nebraska football history. Coz is down the list. The stats clearly show he was a better coach at Nebraska. The results were not good but he was a step up from the Genius that forgot how to stop the run.

This post has been clearly ignored, please, someone list all of the good or even average defensive coaches that DOMINATE the list of of worst defensive games in their schools history. 408 was not a good headcoach or a even average defensive coach. The stats show that Coz (the most hated defensive husker coach ever) was clearly better. I frankly would credit Carl with 408 early success at Nebraska, but he got busy baggin chicks and breakin camera's and had to go. It doomed his brother.

What makes a coach average, below average or above average?

Also...you are getting annoying. But I can't stop reading your stuff!

I don't mind being annoying to those that are wrong and if I can make it interesting, so much the better,