Banker = Cosgrove

Freedom was always going to be a DE...even his HS coach said it was his "real" position. The old staff told him when he wanted to hear to make sure he signed...Just like this staff should have done with Fant.

Recruiters: "Yeah Freedom we will let you play whatever position you want to, oh by the way here is your smoking hot tour guide to show you around campus."

Freedom: "Where do I sign?"

Freedom was always going to be a DE...even his HS coach said it was his "real" position. The old staff told him when he wanted to hear to make sure he signed...Just like this staff should have done with Fant.

Recruiters: "Yeah Freedom we will let you play whatever position you want to, oh by the way here is your smoking hot tour guide to show you around campus."

Freedom: "Where do I sign?"

HAHA!

You can be QB!

One thing to look at is how porous our run D was. Teams didn't need to pass. Much like now, they don't have to run.

I'm not here to defend Bo's defense but I think the deficiencies of our run defense were exaggerated because Wisconsin had us figured out. They knew how to motion us into a bad alignment and exploit it. That's still on Bo for not being able to do anything different but we weren't nearly as bad against everyone else. In 2013 - when we didn't play Wisconsin - we allowed 3.8 ypc for the year which was tied for #31 in the country. Last year, removing the Wisconsin game lowers our yards per carry for the year to 3.8 again, which would have been tied for #33 in the country. I wouldn't call that run defense that bad. Unfortunately the Badgers did enough damage to push the numbers to 4.7 ypc which was tied for 89th.

• Fire 1

Bo didn't suck as a defensive coach. He sucked at recruiting players to run his scheme.

Bingo. He had top 3 D's 3 years at LSU, and after a learning 2008 season, had #1 and #9 D's in 2009 and 2010. Once the talent started to fall off, so did the performance.

But you said we have talent....

Right, and what does that change about what I said?

It's not elite top 10 talent, but it sure as hell isn't 114 in the country.

I would say that if our DB's aren't good enough to cover a WR one on one, their ranking is certainly indicative of their talent.

• Fire 1

I would say that if our DB's aren't good enough to cover a WR one on one, their ranking is certainly indicative of their talent.

Over the entire field with little to no linebacker or safety help? Those are quote the standards for a college football defensive back.

• Fire 2

Bo didn't suck as a defensive coach. He sucked at recruiting players to run his scheme.

Exactly. A lot of people were fans of Bo's defensive coaching. Bret Bielema, Jim Tressel, Brady Hoke, Gary Anderson to name just a few...

Then why does he dominate the list of worst defensive games in Nebraska football history. Coz is down the list. The stats clearly show he was a better coach at Nebraska. The results were not good but he was a step up from the Genius that forgot how to stop the run.

This post has been clearly ignored, please, someone list all of the good or even average defensive coaches that DOMINATE the list of of worst defensive games in their schools history. 408 was not a good headcoach or a even average defensive coach. The stats show that Coz (the most hated defensive husker coach ever) was clearly better. I frankly would credit Carl with 408 early success at Nebraska, but he got busy baggin chicks and breakin camera's and had to go. It doomed his brother.

• Fire 1

Exactly. A lot of people were fans of Bo's defensive coaching. Bret Bielema, Jim Tressel, Brady Hoke, Gary Anderson to name just a few...

Then why does he dominate the list of worst defensive games in Nebraska football history. Coz is down the list. The stats clearly show he was a better coach at Nebraska. The results were not good but he was a step up from the Genius that forgot how to stop the run.

This post has been clearly ignored, please, someone list all of the good or even average defensive coaches that DOMINATE the list of of worst defensive games in their schools history. 408 was not a good headcoach or a even average defensive coach. The stats show that Coz (the most hated defensive husker coach ever) was clearly better. I frankly would credit Carl with 408 early success at Nebraska, but he got busy baggin chicks and breakin camera's and had to go. It doomed his brother.

What makes a coach average, below average or above average?

Also...you are getting annoying. But I can't stop reading your stuff!

• Fire 2

Over the entire field with little to no linebacker or safety help? Those are quote the standards for a college football defensive back.

Well when Bo was coach, they had help and we got gashed on the run.

How do you fix both run and pass defense with this over abundance of talent that people seem to think we have?

I'm really not sure how one draws the conclusion that the current staff owns the poor pass defense after acknowledging that the LB situation is a mess and we have issues at DE due to the previous staff.

Because I can watch the DBs play? Because former players have said as much?

IDK...

I look at it like this: the defense was bad last year and fell apart regularly. This year, it's a different scheme and so the areas that get exposed are different, but the quality of the defense is about the same old story.

Also, we point out all the time how bad the stats in the first four games are -- but don't seem to mention what players we've not had on the field for a substantial part of it, and how that might be affecting the entire defense's play.

But, I am admittedly glass half full with a dash of optimism on the side.

The funniest part about this is, either you REALLY missed what I was saying in the post you initially replied to, or you've got a seriously dry sense of humor.

And then you doubled down on it by quoting yourself, saying "This post has been clearly ignored..."

:confucius

• Fire 1

I'm really not sure how one draws the conclusion that the current staff owns the poor pass defense after acknowledging that the LB situation is a mess and we have issues at DE due to the previous staff.

Because I can watch the DBs play? Because former players have said as much?

IDK...

I look at it like this: the defense was bad last year and fell apart regularly. This year, it's a different scheme and so the areas that get exposed are different, but the quality of the defense is about the same old story.

Also, we point out all the time how bad the stats in the first four games are -- but don't seem to mention what players we've not had on the field for a substantial part of it, and how that might be affecting the entire defense's play.

But, I am admittedly glass half full with a dash of optimism on the side.

You're not allowed to mention missing personnel. We have all the talent needed

It's funny, there's a list of excuses or legitimate reasons for some struggles:

New staff

New scheme

Attrition at key positions

Lack of depth

Injuries

Lack of experience

Those would be on my short list of "excuses" for defensive struggles, but the funny thing is, after 7 years of excuses for the last guy, the Bo-lievers just don't want to hear anymore excuses. As if we weren't all tired of excuses for failing.

Somehow the excuses just seem so much more valid right now. I wonder why? It could have something to do with those silly conversations we had all off-season about a coaching transition. I still have the impression as I scroll through this board, that many of those conversations didn't change much for some people. No sir, they expected this staff to walk in and have things rocking!

Better staff = More wins That was the logic. Yep, simple math really.

Funny thing is, we've still got all our goals in front of us. We have a shot at this crazy West division this year it turns out. Mostly thanks to an offense, and a kid named Tommy Armstrong (I will play my "told you so" card someday) all coming together very quickly. Maybe those goals vanish and we lose some tough ones and I'll move on with hope for the future. Like I said, I like the direction of the team, I like these coaches, and when we got things going on both sides of the ball, we look like we could be really, really good.

• Fire 1