Stats: some good, some bad

zoogs

Watching the game, I'd never think we were running the ball that well. Maybe Jano's runs padded the stats?

Other than the occasional Brett Favre moment, no one can deny TA's improvement. As much as I would like to establish a run game and have that be our identity, if our secondary could stop anything, our O has scored enough to have us 4-0.... TOP is good, however I wish we would milk the clock even more as needed. Still getting the ball off with 10-12 picks on the clock....

The penalties are still killing us. That is my biggest concern going forward. We are spotting teams almost 100 yards per game. Playing devils advocate, I hope the D improves though coaching, healthy D and experience, but I have no idea on how to get rid of what has become our new era identity as a penalty prone team...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400763522

Nebraska

610 yards total offense

66% completion, 10.5 yards per pass

368 passing yards

242 rushing yards, 39 attempts (6.2 avg)

12 - 98 penalties

34:01 TOP

Southern Miss

458 total yards

447 passing

11 rushing, 23 attempts (0.5 avg)

9 - 80 penalties

25:59 TOP

The final stat (the score) is always the most important, but there are some positives from today's game indeed. I think Tommy is still playing extremely well, and I liked that they had him run the ball more today. I thought Newby was running the ball better today in the first half. Drew Brown looked much better as well. Our rushing D was superb too. If we had the right talent in the secondary I think that would change everyone's outlook at this point. Our defenders are 4 games into a totally new D, and while its' not all on them, I think many of the big plays I saw today were a result of our defenders giving the opposing receives the inside route, or on some long balls our defenders were not watching for the ball. If we simply do not have the secondary to cover opponents, then its up to the coaches to alter the scheme. If the defenders have the talent/speed but are simply missing the plays, then its something that can be fixed.

I actually really like the direction our offense is going. We have a very good passing attack that will get better when DPE is back and can stretch the field.

What I really like though is that they are getting more and more creative in running the ball. With the RB, QB, FB now running the ball then to have Jet sweeps by the WR, that's a lot to defend.

• Fire 1

Satistically we are playing well enough on offense to be averaging about 45 pts a game and if we could exchange about 75 yards of passing for 75 yards of rushing we could push 50 pts/game. That would be top 5 in the country level offense. The numbers as they are would suggest at least top 15 offense. I think we are very close to that with a mediocre level of line play. I do believe our offensive line play is slowly and steadily improving. We need much more depth and a new left tackle as Lewis is getting far too many penalties for a senior. No excuses for seniors to make mental mistakes. They should be settiing the good example, not the opposite. But, offensively, just imagine how good we could be with a couple all conference level linemen and a all conference tail back. I believe it will come. Patience on the offense will yield results. Our recruiting is the key and we can't afford to have our defense fold up on us this year. We need to cut opponents production down a 100 yards in passing. If we hope Big 10 teams under 100 yards rusing, we will win some games. Finally, we need special teams to make dramatic improvement. Strong punt and kick returns is critical and add another 6 yards to net punting average and avoid any punts less than 35 yards and we need at least one or two inside the 10 each game. Special teams determine field position and field positiion determines the winner in relatively evenly matched teams probably 75% of the time. Turnovers have been much less disasterous than in recent years so that is helping too. Avoid more injuries, get more turnovers, better special teams play and improve pass defense. The rest of the game will suffice.