Football Study Hall Post-Non Con Projected Wins for Nebraska

Saunders

There is way too much pessimism across the husker nation in my opinion. I realize that after about 18 years of disappointment, it has not been easy to be optimistic. Certainly a 2-2 start is disappointing but we are a handful of plays away from 4-0. While they have been 'close' games, we all need to realize that close games are much more the norm than they once were. It would be interesting to see the date on average scores, winning margins, etc. across D1 football in 1995 to 2014. I believe scoring has increased by at least 7 points a game and the top twenty teams won by bigger margins in 1995 on average across all their games and the top 10 in 2014. In other words, games are higher scoring and winning margins are smaller. I think this is a fact of life. I also believe total offense has been increasing as well predominantly in passing. Rush yards per game may have declined somewhat. The number of snaps in an average game has likely increased as well as teams throw more and snap the ball quicker and manage the clock tighter. All resulting in the games becoming closer for all teams. Talent is more balanced across all of football at all levels. The quality of play at the lower divisions has improved as scholarships are more necessary to kids today with high costs of school and less employment/income opportunties as youngsters.

• Fire 1

It's disturbing that a chick saying no arouses anyone.

NU is power ranked at 50 now. Returning starters to the field and more coaching up and more reps for so many low experience players should move NU's true "this week" power rank up a lot from there. I guess they'll play around 25ish in a few weeks assuming DPE is back and less than horrible pass D (might be wrong on that one).

• Fire 1

At least we beat Iowa!

For real though, as much as I love stats, there are so many qualitative aspects in football that can change from week to week that can invalidate a lot of those stats.

Predictions can be made on qualitative variables. I think you mean there are too many random variables and too much variability. Regardless, they don't invalidate the stats. You just have to realize what those stats are based on and decide whether you agree with the methodology or not.

At least we beat Iowa!

For real though, as much as I love stats, there are so many qualitative aspects in football that can change from week to week that can invalidate a lot of those stats.

Predictions can be made on qualitative variables. I think you mean there are too many random variables and too much variability. Regardless, they don't invalidate the stats. You just have to realize what those stats are based on and decide whether you agree with the methodology or not.

giphy.gif

• Fire 1

Added ESPN's "FPI" predictions.

I have no idea how they figure this stupid FPI, but right now Michigan's FPI has them winning every game but OSU. So take that for what it's worth

After watching them, I think it's possible. Sparty's D is built to stop their offense, and Rudock is not a good QB, but that will be a defensive slugfest game.