A look at Langsdorf's formations

Saunders

i like the offense, but the numbers don't mean much against lower tier teams......we will be severely tested in league play, if Tommie gets hurt we are screwed for the rest of the season....it's a gamble continuing to run him........over the whole season it's a crap shoot.

??? Miami and BYU are 2 of the top 5 schools we will play this year. Not sure how they are doing it against lower tier teams

Yeah we can throw the ball, but by nature, that's not going to work as well when it's freezing in November. We red to figure out this run game fast.

Works alright for Green Bay and the Giants and alot of up north teams in the NFL that throw the ball in November, December, January. Not saying we are a pro level team but you can still throw the football when it is cold out.

Boy, we'll debate anything around here no matter how obvious the statement was.

Of course you CAN throw the ball in the cold, wind, rain or snow. Lyons in the Sea of Red said it's not going to work as well. Why? Because it's harder to throw a football when you're hands are freaking cold and the wind is blowing.

By the way, Green Bay has been very fortunate to have a couple of future HOF QB's at the helm, but they've drafted running backs and signed free agent RB's almost every year now in search of that run game, just to take some pressure off the QB. They want to run the ball, I assure you.

Yeah we can throw the ball, but by nature, that's not going to work as well when it's freezing in November. We red to figure out this run game fast.

And why not? Isn't it an advantage to us when opposing teams come here and our QBs have experience in the weather and theirs don't? I feel like you are making this out to be more of an impact than it really is. In the cold, your body is warm if you're playing. A sub might have issues, but a starter likely won't.

I am pleasantly surprised by the offense this season. It seemed that the media was down on our offense in fall camp so I was expecting the worst. The offensive staff has done a great job, we need to do everything we can to retain Williams

yessir. I wonder what a good on good scrimmage looks like in practice these days. Since game 1, offense passes the eye test ahead of the defense. Show @wideouts the $$$. To add, hard to sell Stewart, almost out of pity you gotta keep him. Wouldn't that make 6 DB coaches in 8/9 years? That position has been abused. Unless you can make a grand slam hire.

From the article:

What's interesting is where he's throwing it from. Under Beck, Nebraska performed mostly out of the pistol, using the formation on half of its plays. Langsdorf has nearly eliminated the pistol from NU's playbook, opting much more often for the shotgun.

Armstrong seems much more comfortable this way. He only has to take a few steps for his shotgun drop, and Langsdorf's offense calls for more short passes. By placing him in the shotgun and calling more underneath routes, Langsdorf is limiting the time the ball is in Armstrong's hands, and the junior has proven to be a more efficient distributor this way.

Makes sense

OK....I guess I need educated.

Isn't the pistol formation the same as the shotgun but the RB is lined up behind the QB instead of beside the QB?

If so, why does this make any difference in his drop on pass plays?

Love what Langsdorf is doing with the offense. We have have great balance and our pass game is way ahead of schedule. Wish we could run a little better but our run game isnt terrible. I just cant believe how bad our screen game is. If that part of our offense improves and we get a little better at running the ball, we will be pretty darn hard to defend.

I think that the screen game will improve with DPE coming back. I think it will also open up more of the running game.

Works alright for Green Bay and the Giants and alot of up north teams in the NFL that throw the ball in November, December, January. Not saying we are a pro level team but you can still throw the football when it is cold out.

Boy, we'll debate anything around here no matter how obvious the statement was.

Of course you CAN throw the ball in the cold, wind, rain or snow. Lyons in the Sea of Red said it's not going to work as well. Why? Because it's harder to throw a football when you're hands are freaking cold and the wind is blowing.

By the way, Green Bay has been very fortunate to have a couple of future HOF QB's at the helm, but they've drafted running backs and signed free agent RB's almost every year now in search of that run game, just to take some pressure off the QB. They want to run the ball, I assure you.

So we agree you can throw the ball when it is cold outside. If you are good at throwing the ball when it is not cold out then you should still be good at it when it is cold out.

From the article:

What's interesting is where he's throwing it from. Under Beck, Nebraska performed mostly out of the pistol, using the formation on half of its plays. Langsdorf has nearly eliminated the pistol from NU's playbook, opting much more often for the shotgun.

Armstrong seems much more comfortable this way. He only has to take a few steps for his shotgun drop, and Langsdorf's offense calls for more short passes. By placing him in the shotgun and calling more underneath routes, Langsdorf is limiting the time the ball is in Armstrong's hands, and the junior has proven to be a more efficient distributor this way.

Makes sense

OK....I guess I need educated.

Isn't the pistol formation the same as the shotgun but the RB is lined up behind the QB instead of beside the QB?

If so, why does this make any difference in his drop on pass plays?

Because you start out farther from the line of scrimmage in shotgun. 7 yards instead of 4. This gives the QB more time to throw, and he can see the whole field better. The advantage of pistol is in that it is a hybrid so is more versatile, especially for a read-option type offense. (i'm not an expert, just googled it)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_offense