Riley Sucks, Who Do We Steal?

I just wanted to play the same game everyone else does. Seems like when ever any name is mentioned it is destroyed.

Chip Kelly won't come here, he is being mentioned now for USC, Texas and yes even Oregon if they so choose to walk Helfrich to the front door.

Seems to me that Nebraska now, on 3 different occasions has either waited too long to fire coaches or not long enough. Seems like the next year after Nebraska has hired there next great coach, a list of A List coaches are looking for work...........patience.

Seriously, Chip Kelly can recruit, but like Riley his offensive game isn't meant for the Big 10, at least thats the going rate on Riley our fans disapproval of him! Funny fans here in the Big Red Nation. Funny.

Throw $8-million at him, and make him say no.

Randy Edsall for DC would be very wise and realistic hire, IMO, and we potentially fire Banker tomorrow and pick Edsall up. We'd only have Edsal for a few seasons (unless we pay close to 1m/yr for him, I'd wager) and he's made some excellent defenses out of nothing more than chewing gum, hockey tickets, toothpicks, and 2* recruits that even MacGyver would be jealous of.

Has a connection with Hank Hughes. And although Edsall didn't work out at Maryland, the guy can recruit very well. If only Riley wasn't married to Banker

Also has a connection with Stewart. Stewart was his DC from 2012-2014.
he also fired Stewart which is why he's coaching our db's in the first place

Ya know, I seem to recollect that not so long ago, shortly after the BC firing to be exact, I proposed the name Scott Frost for the Nebraska staff in some capacity.

I was ridiculed for suggesting such an outlandish notion. When I inquired as to why such hostility, I was informed he deserted his home state for Stanford of all places.

Now with his success at Oregon, we seem to view him as the prodigal son. Yes, he's seen his share of accomplishment but, would a system he brings to NU from Oregon succeed any more quickly than Riley's, given the talent pool he would have inherited?

• Fire 1

i think its waay too early to talk about stuff like this. i think that before the season started, he really had no idea what he and his staff were involved in. i think they are getting better week to week, and i really believe that they will turn things around. at least to a level that's much better than the last guy. let's just wait till the end of this year. all this is really only hurting the nebraska program in more ways than one.

It's actually understandable, really. the nebraska fan base is one that's been hurt too many times in recent history, and that leaves some of us unwilling to be patient. heck, we've been waiting for great football since 1998. but nebraska fans need to remember that it's always darkest just before dawn. i believe we've seen the worst. we just need to give these guys a chance to self correct.

and if it truly doesn't work out, with the way they are, it definitely won't be a nasty breakup like the last couple of guys. and that has to count for something. what's going on in lincoln is stuff that will ultimately cause nebraska to be better for it, now or after (if) they leave. but you have to understand that there is a rebuilding that needs to happen. this doesn't excuse the poor decisions, but a bit more patience would be helpful.

Ya know, I seem to recollect that not so long ago, shortly after the BC firing to be exact, I proposed the name Scott Frost for the Nebraska staff in some capacity.

I was ridiculed for suggesting such an outlandish notion. When I inquired as to why such hostility, I was informed he deserted his home state for Stanford of all places.

Now with his success at Oregon, we seem to view him as the prodigal son. Yes, he's seen his share of accomplishment but, would a system he brings to NU from Oregon succeed any more quickly than Riley's, given the talent pool he would have inherited?

I'm not sure where you've been posting for the last decade, but Scott Frost has been a common and persistent name during every hint of a coaching search. He might actually be the safest pick you could make in this state. I don't recall any ridicule or hostility at the suggestion. Just the conventional wisdom that he remains unproven in any HC capacity and that he might not WANT to come here. There has also been a notable lack of support for Frost among his ex-Husker teammates, suggesting some lingering bad mojo that's never been articulated.

Like anyone would ever want to come here if we fire a guy after one season...

I hope you're being sarcastic. You show a guy enough $$$ and he could care less how long the last coach lasted.

Good luck selling to recruits and assistant coaches.

1 year firing does not happen.

• Fire 1

Like anyone would ever want to come here if we fire a guy after one season...

I hope you're being sarcastic. You show a guy enough $$$ and he could care less how long the last coach lasted.

Good luck selling to recruits and assistant coaches.

1 year firing does not happen.

I love how fans enjoy spending other people's money.

Has Justin Fuente been ruled out by you all?

If people hated Mike Reilly for passing too much they'll despise Fuentes.

If we're being consistent with our criteria, we'd despise everyone being suggested.

This might be the stupidest thread in the history of HuskerBoard.

If we're being consistent with our criteria as Husker fans (ie: success, winning), Mike Riley isn't getting it done here (so far), and many of us aren't seeing evidence to believe he will, and have reasons to believe this hire was a spectacular botch (reasons which have been discussed at great length in this thread and others, and surely more to come).

Hence why this thread has almost 8,000 views and well over 200 replies.

Just sayin'.

I'll admit, the thread title was a bit silly and intended to trigger emotions, responses. Fan message boards are essentially the online version of water cooler talk, conversation you'd hear at the bar or the diner or the coffee shop, even at the games themselves, wherever.

I can assure you (as I'm sure you're already aware) that this topic is not at all exceptional or deviant from conversations that are happening all over Husker nation in the 'real world'.

Perhaps you think the suggestions that he should be gone after one year are ludicrous, and the talk of him not being the right guy after 6 games is ridiculous and outlandish, that we're talking about our next coach already is stupid and delusional, and you are certainly entitled to those opinions. In fact, you have argued your positions quite well and much more eloquently than many on this board from what I have seen.

But that doesn't make the topic any less real or tangible.

• Fire 1