So Tommy Decided to Pass?

You're missing the point Saunders. Again.

Didn't say it wasn't important, didn't say that wasn't why you have timeouts.

I said he was right. If Nebraska had called a timeout, people would've came to this board and said "what the f#*k are they doing calling a timeout there and letting Illinois defense prepare for that third down play!" blah blah blah!.......That's exactly how it would've went.

These same people claiming that they would've been "okay" with the timeout in that situation, are the same ones that were flipping out after the BYU game after we actually DID call a timeout to make sure we were on the same page for that Hail Mary play. and those same people said "what the f#*k are they doing calling a timeout there and letting BYU offense prepare for that play!" blah blah blah!.......

This isn't a debate about the importance of timeouts, or when to use them, the point that you've missed obviously, was about the reactions of dumbass Husker fans is usually negative no matter what the f#*k the team or coaches do.

Some yes, but the vast majority (read: smart ones) would completely understand. It's one of the things we bashed Bo for, wasting timeouts earlier in the game, and then not having them for moments just like this.

I also think calling a timeout when you're on defense and the offense is scrambling to do something is worse than taking a timeout when you have the ball.

How hard is this to get? It looked like a pass play because it was a supposed to. He was told not to throw it but he did. If someone can legally drive, gamble, drink, and vote for President I would hope you can trust him to run the ball. It is OK to blame a player if they screw up. Especially when they admit it.

What do the timeouts even matter? Had they called one, Husker nation would have torn them apart for stopping the clock while trying to run out the game. Reporters would have asked why and been given the same info about lining up wrong, etc. Then some of you jackals would have piled on about how poor the coaching is that we can't even line up correctly so no wonder there is poor clock management. Damned if they do. Damned if they don't.

I don't totally disagree, Tommy takes some of the blame on this regardless. It was stupid to even have a pass play called, but if they told him not to throw it, then he shouldn't have. If Tommy didn't understand the situation they were in and the consequences of letting that ball fly, then that's an issue too.

To me, you get the impression Tommy doesn't have a grasp for some of this stuff. I see it with a few of the guys. They just seem to lose awareness.

And as for the second bolded part, you're totally right. That's exactly what would've happened and anyone that says otherwise is a farkin' liar.

I already posted this, but Husker fans and the media are smart enough to realize that a timeout taken with a few seconds left on the play clock would have been forgiven. Just make sure you run the damn ball on 3rd down.

Exactly this. Taking a timeout with :01 on the playclock to ensure that you properly execute the most important play of the drive (or game) is entirely the reason you have timeouts.

I said he was right. If Nebraska had called a timeout, people would've came to this board and said "what the f#*k are they doing calling a timeout there and letting Illinois defense prepare for that third down play!" blah blah blah!.......That's exactly how it would've went.

These same people claiming that they would've been "okay" with the timeout in that situation, are the same ones that were flipping out after the BYU game after we actually DID call a timeout to make sure we were on the same page for that Hail Mary play. and those same people said "what the f#*k are they doing calling a timeout there and letting BYU offense prepare for that play!" blah blah blah!.......

This isn't a debate about the importance of timeouts, or when to use them, the point that you've missed obviously, was about the reactions of dumbass Husker fans is usually negative no matter what the f#*k the team or coaches do.

Yeah, those two are not even remotely the same situation.

LOL.

This discussion is getting pretty lame.

The real issue was the play call. We could have taken a two yard loss on a handoff to Ozigbo, run the clock down, punted the ball into the back of the end zone, and Illinois' chances of winning the game suddenly drop to statistically close to zero.

But instead, we absolutely tried to get cute, which is on Riley/Langsdorf.

How hard is this to get? It looked like a pass play because it was a supposed to. He was told not to throw it but he did. If someone can legally drive, gamble, drink, and vote for President I would hope you can trust him to run the ball. It is OK to blame a player if they screw up. Especially when they admit it.

What do the timeouts even matter? Had they called one, Husker nation would have torn them apart for stopping the clock while trying to run out the game. Reporters would have asked why and been given the same info about lining up wrong, etc. Then some of you jackals would have piled on about how poor the coaching is that we can't even line up correctly so no wonder there is poor clock management. Damned if they do. Damned if they don't.

I don't totally disagree, Tommy takes some of the blame on this regardless. It was stupid to even have a pass play called, but if they told him not to throw it, then he shouldn't have. If Tommy didn't understand the situation they were in and the consequences of letting that ball fly, then that's an issue too.

To me, you get the impression Tommy doesn't have a grasp for some of this stuff. I see it with a few of the guys. They just seem to lose awareness.

And as for the second bolded part, you're totally right. That's exactly what would've happened and anyone that says otherwise is a farkin' liar.

I already posted this, but Husker fans and the media are smart enough to realize that a timeout taken with a few seconds left on the play clock would have been forgiven. Just make sure you run the damn ball on 3rd down.

I'm not sure you wouldn't have a few complaints if it was over 2 seconds. There's no reason you can't go to the official and say "I want a timeout when the play clock hits :01". It happens in almost every game.

• Fire 1

Exactly this. Taking a timeout with :01 on the playclock to ensure that you properly execute the most important play of the drive (or game) is entirely the reason you have timeouts.

You're still wrong. No one would be complaining about the timeout because we would've won. Guaranteed. Riely gave away a guaranteed win becuase he was saving timeouts.

Dumbass-300x196.png

Yeah, calling a timeout in the final seconds of a game to ensure that your team is on the same page and understands the importance of the play. Yep, not even remotely the same situation.........

I'm not sure you wouldn't have a few complaints if it was over 2 seconds. There's no reason you can't go to the official and say "I want a timeout when the play clock hits :01". It happens in almost every game.

This exactly. And news flash everyone it doesn't take a Saban, Harbaugh, or Meyer to do utilize this strategy.

Dumbass-300x196.png

Yeah, calling a timeout in the final seconds of a game to ensure that your team is on the same page and understands the importance of the play. Yep, not even remotely the same situation.........

I thought you were smarter than this.

Against BYU, we took a timeout that was more beneficial to them than it was to us. They had the ball. And after taking it, we had nothing to show for it.

Against Illinois, we were in control. We had the ball. There would have been no benefit to Illinois if we took a timeout with 01 on the playclock. All we had to do was make sure we didn't screw up and it was a guaranteed win.

Completely different situations.

Dumbass-300x196.png

No, it's not. When you're on offense, you're the one in control. Teams let the clock run down to the last second before calling a timeout all the time so they can make sure they get the play they want to run and get everyone on the same page. On defense it's completely different. You can't tell everyone exactly what to do because you don't know what the offense is going to do. You can get a general setup but it's more beneficial to the offense to be able to tell everyone what they want them to do and the defense still just has to react.

All that being said, I'm not one who has an issue with the timeout at the end of the BYU game. I would have rather we didn't call it but I don't think it's a big deal either way. We definitely could have used one against Illinois, especially when we were so rushed.

I appreciate the personal attack, though.

• Fire 1

This exactly. And news flash everyone it doesn't take a Saban, Harbaugh, or Meyer to do utilize this strategy.

Is anybody debating this?

If so, where? Go to that board and debate it. Not sure who the hell you're arguing with here.

LOL...did anyone watch the end of the Seattle Detroit game last night?

It was priceless.

Seattle up 3 late in the game on Detroit's side of the field with around a minute left. Wilson rolls out to the right, he could run....he doesn't....he passes down field...complete....game over.

I laughed my ass off thinking about all the consternation in Huskerland about the very similar play on how ANY smart coach or player would never pass in that instance.

Against BYU, we took a timeout that was more beneficial to them than it was to us. They had the ball. And after taking it, we had nothing to show for it.

Against Illinois, we were in control. We had the ball. There would have been no benefit to Illinois if we took a timeout with 01 on the playclock. All we had to do was make sure we didn't screw up and it was a guaranteed win.

Completely different situations.

"That is correct."

TGHmi9N.gif

Dumbass-300x196.png

No, it's not. When you're on offense, you're the one in control. Teams let the clock run down to the last second before calling a timeout all the time so they can make sure they get the play they want to run and get everyone on the same page. On defense it's completely different. You can't tell everyone exactly what to do because you don't know what the offense is going to do. You can get a general setup but it's more beneficial to the offense to be able to tell everyone what they want them to do and the defense still just has to react.

All that being said, I'm not one who has an issue with the timeout at the end of the BYU game. I would have rather we didn't call it but I don't think it's a big deal either way. We definitely could have used one against Illinois, especially when we were so rushed.

I appreciate the personal attack, though.

Did you even read the previous posts? The ones you quoted? You and Saunders have gone off on some rant about something entirely different than what was even being discussed.

So now we've changed the debate to the difference between being on offense and being on defense and utilizing timeouts.

Okay captain, whatever you say. Can't argue with someone who changes the point of the conversation to make themselves sound smart. Good for you, you sound smart to somebody, they gave you your bonus point for being a good cub scout.

Again....

The conversation was about using a timeout toward the end of a game to ensure your team is on the same page. They did it against BYU (when the defense was on the field), and they didn't do it against Illinois(when the offense was on the field). Husker fans bitched when they called one against BYU for giving BYU's offense a chance to get their poop in a group. Had Nebraska called a timeout against Illinois to AGAIN, ensure they were on the same page,.......and Illinois makes the stop on third down, Nebraska fans would've been up in arms about Nebraska taking a timeout and giving Illinois defense a chance to get their sh#t together.

So it is REMOTELY the same thing, it's almost the exact same thing, except different sides of the ball.

A time out in both situations would have been most appropriate. Now what?

A time out in both situations would have been most appropriate. Now what?

Now we change the argument and spin it in a way that makes us argue about something stupid for an hour.

Timeout in both situations would've been the right thing.

Fans bitched about the BYU timeout.

They'd have bitched about an Illinois timeout too if Illinois had gotten the stop.

Really simple stuff. Don't care if you disagree, look around this board. They bitch about everything. They would've bitched.