So Tommy Decided to Pass?

Had we not blown those earlier timeouts maybe the staff would have taken one. We weren't aligned correctly, had we taken a timeout, hopefully\probably we realize just run a simple dive with whoever is in the backfield. Run the clock down, and boom we win

I keep hearing that we still had time outs available. Is that not correct?

I believe we still had two timeouts left. I know for sure we had at least one

All three timeouts left.

TbYL77U.png

Oh my word, even better. Seriously if you say that the formation doesn't look right how do you not call a timeout on a big play like that?

Completely baffling really, but I guess that is how you become a .500 coach.

Had we not blown those earlier timeouts maybe the staff would have taken one. We weren't aligned correctly, had we taken a timeout, hopefully\probably we realize just run a simple dive with whoever is in the backfield. Run the clock down, and boom we win

All three timeouts left.

TbYL77U.png

Oh my word, even better. Seriously if you say that the formation doesn't look right how do you not call a timeout on a big play like that?

Completely baffling really, but I guess that is how you become a .500 coach.

Actually, it measn Riley is a little better coach than I thought previously. When he artificially deflates his winnning percentage by throwing away wins like this, it prolly means he's more like a .550 coach.

So, on USC Josh just said that 13 year olds playing Madden wouldn't have done that and could manage the clock better.

Just so sad.

Ganz is disappointed that the coaches didn't call a timeout before the 3rd down. When the coaches saw the play call got in late, and Cethan wasn't going in motion the coaches should have stopped everything and regrouped.

Severe is saying the coaches should have done the safest thing possible. There was no need to "trick them".

So, on USC Josh just said that 13 year olds playing Madden wouldn't have done that and could manage the clock better.

Just so sad.

Ganz is disappointed that the coaches didn't call a timeout before the 3rd down. When the coaches saw the play call got in late, and Cethan wasn't going in motion the coaches should have stopped everything and regrouped.

Severe is saying the coaches should have done the safest thing possible. There was no need to "trick them".

Yep.

Aaron semm said run up the gut on 3rd down, run the play clock, call time out and have Sam kick the ball out of the Damn stadium.

Josh said on 3rd down have Tommy run back to the 50, run around, and run the clock down as far as you can. If there world have been any time left, punt.

This wasn't splitting an atom or anything.

Just so sad.

I tend to agree with Josh. Obviously a little exaggeration but seriously, he's a D1 QB, he should know better. I absolutely agree that if these coaches see any bit of trouble or sense any bit of skepticism, be safe, call the TO and regroup.

Who gives a flying f#*k about winning 9 games against sh**ty teams? You just need "to stop" with defending a guy who told an entire fan base to go f#*k itself. In case you didn't know that includes you too.

Just get over this already. It's YEARS old and we got a bigger problem now named Mike Riley.

It just gets old with the Bo lovers always using 9 wins as the gold standard of college football. I personally don't see how anyone can want that POS back.

Very, very few want that unprofessional coach back. We are not going to see 9 wins from this staff this year or even the next...

All three timeouts left.

TbYL77U.png

How many did Illinois have left?

All three timeouts left.

TbYL77U.png

How many did Illinois have left?

Zero?

How hard is this to get? It looked like a pass play because it was a supposed to. He was told not to throw it but he did. If someone can legally drive, gamble, drink, and vote for President I would hope you can trust him to run the ball. It is OK to blame a player if they screw up. Especially when they admit it.

What do the timeouts even matter? Had they called one, Husker nation would have torn them apart for stopping the clock while trying to run out the game. Reporters would have asked why and been given the same info about lining up wrong, etc. Then some of you jackals would have piled on about how poor the coaching is that we can't even line up correctly so no wonder there is poor clock management. Damned if they do. Damned if they don't.

Clearly everyone(or at least it seems like everyone) is still upset and I just don't get why. It's over. Climb down off the cross, build a bridge, and get over it.

How hard is this to get? It looked like a pass play because it was a supposed to. He was told not to throw it but he did. If someone can legally drive, gamble, drink, and vote for President I would hope you can trust him to run the ball. It is OK to blame a player if they screw up. Especially when they admit it.

What do the timeouts even matter? Had they called one, Husker nation would have torn them apart for stopping the clock while trying to run out the game. Reporters would have asked why and been given the same info about lining up wrong, etc. Then some of you jackals would have piled on about how poor the coaching is that we can't even line up correctly so no wonder there is poor clock management. Damned if they do. Damned if they don't.

Clearly everyone(or at least it seems like everyone) is still upset and I just don't get why. It's over. Climb down off the cross, build a bridge, and get over it.

Husker Nation and the reporters are smart enough to realize a timeout with 1 or 2 seconds on the play clock isn't a bad thing to do. We would rather have made sure the play is run correctly instead of allowing it to be run incorrectly and losing the darn game.

Is something unraveling when coaches throw their QB under the bus?

Because that's exactly what happened.

If they told him not to pass, and he threw it anyway, then what the f#*k do you want the coaches to say?
"It was a bad play call and we shouldn't have put our guys in that situation, it won't happen again."

This is so bad.

Riley is supposed to be the #1 guy to have Tommy's back no matter what, and he was the first guy to throw him under the bus to cover his own ass.

Yeah, I made the same point. The word pass shouldn't have even been in their vocabulary at that point. It was truly a dumb call, maybe the dumbest I've ever seen.

I don't totally disagree, Tommy takes some of the blame on this regardless. It was stupid to even have a pass play called, but if they told him not to throw it, then he shouldn't have. If Tommy didn't understand the situation they were in and the consequences of letting that ball fly, then that's an issue too.

To me, you get the impression Tommy doesn't have a grasp for some of this stuff. I see it with a few of the guys. They just seem to lose awareness.

And as for the second bolded part, you're totally right. That's exactly what would've happened and anyone that says otherwise is a farkin' liar.