Everything has been said

Cycle after a loss--

(rest of) Saturday: pissed, angry, slightly depressed, how could this happen?, etc, etc

Sunday: still pissed and angry, but golfing makes it a bit better

Monday: starting to come around, but then I reflect on the game more and become pissed and angry again

Tuesday: cooling off

Wednesday: cooling off even more and looking ahead to the next team and the challenges they bring to the table

Thursday: eh, if we do x, y, & z, we have a shot on Saturday

Friday: we could definitely win tomorrow

Saturday: GAMEDAY BITCHES

This sounds strangely familiar.

not a good sign............

Truly guys, the game is over, two days ago.

Lets talk about Wisconsin, put this behind us.

Board is nothing but negative after negative.

We have a lot more games left, lets play those as they come and see what happens

Heard today that Tennessee was three plays away from being 5-0. So are we, look for some positives.

As Tommy said, he completed the pass no one would have said a word. Quite a young man there, but just look at him. He is hurting, and what the fan base is doing is not helping.

I wish I could share in your enthusiasm, but I can't. And the reality of it is, unless the coaching staff has some epiphany, this season is a big old sh*t sandwich.

This +1000. I just don't get how people can settle for mediocrity around here anymore. I get that DoNU isn't going to win every game, but I would think we would expect our coaches to put our kids in a position to win whenever possible. Especially when DoNU has the resources to do better than we are.

I guess Pedeyshine was on to something regarding the fanbase and University settling after all? :dunno

It could be worse I guess

attachicon.gif12038176_1193943300635221_6773174899569421126_n.jpg

They're getting their just deserts because of karma, and we shouldn't be comparing ourselves to the likes of a bunch of vermin.

• Fire 1

We have a lot more games left, lets play those as they come and see what happens

Heard today that Tennessee was three plays away from being 5-0. So are we, look for some positives.

As Tommy said, he completed the pass no one would have said a word. Quite a young man there, but just look at him. He is hurting, and what the fan base is doing is not helping.

I agree after the Monday PC the players and coaches have to move on to the next game, you can't dwell on a loss and let it eat you up. That is what a lot of us are doing.

IMO the game on Saturday is really going to tell us how this season is going to turn out. Talent wise this team is good enough to beat anyone left on the schedule, but things either really go south or they get better I don't think there is any middle ground.

I wish I could share in your enthusiasm, but I can't. And the reality of it is, unless the coaching staff has some epiphany, this season is a big old sh*t sandwich.

This +1000. I just don't get how people can settle for mediocrity around here anymore. I get that DoNU isn't going to win every game, but I would think we would expect our coaches to put our kids in a position to win whenever possible. Especially when DoNU has the resources to do better than we are.

I guess Pedeyshine was on to something regarding the fanbase and University after all? :dunno

I don't understand the "Settle For Mediocrity" statement in the middle of a season. What do you want? Fire Mike Riley right now? Fire SE right now? Fire Harvey Pearlman right now? Because you won't settle for mediocrity? The only thing that can happen right now is to let this play out. If you want to fire them at the end of the season fine. Make a change at that point.

Stomping your foot and being pissed and saying this is not acceptable and wanting something to change as far as staff or administration usually doesn't happen in the middle of the season.

I agree after the Monday PC the players and coaches have to move on to the next game, you can't dwell on a loss and let it eat you up. That is what a lot of us are doing.

IMO the game on Saturday is really going to tell us how this season is going to turn out. Talent wise this team is good enough to beat anyone left on the schedule, but things either really go south or they get better I don't think there is any middle ground.

Except that the mistakes made in the previous games by the coaching staff keep coming up, so no, you really can't just move on to the next game, when lessons have yet to be learned from the previous failures. Maybe when the staff starts to exhibit that experience that was meant to be a benefit to the team, and the losses occur because of what the other team does, and not because our coaches gaffed the team to a loss yet again...we can start looking forward.

*THAT* is why people have such umbrage with the staff--as experienced as they supposedly are, they fail to learn their lessons and build/improve. Fans that were around for Callahan and Bo have already had enough of that s***, frankly, which is why there should be nil for latitude given to Riley.

Again--it would be one thing if the coaches demonstrated that they learned their lessons, improved on the field, and progressed as a team as the season went on. But here we are, regressing on offense, the same mismanagement and stubbornness that appeared in all games rearing its head, and a lack of understanding by the staff of this team and what it takes to be successful.

• Fire 1

I guess Pedeyshine was on to something regarding the fanbase and University after all? :dunno

I don't understand the "Settle For Mediocrity" statement in the middle of a season. What do you want? Fire Mike Riley right now? Fire SE right now? Fire Harvey Pearlman right now? Because you won't settle for mediocrity? The only thing that can happen right now is to let this play out. If you want to fire them at the end of the season fine. Make a change at that point.

Stomping your foot and being pissed and saying this is not acceptable and wanting something to change as far as staff or administration usually doesn't happen in the middle of the season.

First, Harvey the Wonder Chancellor is out come December, IIRC, which is the first step. And no, we can't can Riley right now...but we have yet to hear jack and s*** from the Nebraska leadership regarding what is quickly becoming a SNAFU. Fans need to know that DoNU brass finds these results unacceptable, and that action will be taken at the end of the season if necessary.

As for Riley...honestly, I'd give him another year if he jettisoned his OC and DC and brought in experienced, high-quality coordinators, instead of employing his buddies. This is what doomed Callahan, and I still maintain that had Callahan fired Cosgrove and got someone competent in as DC (e.g. Bo, Venerables, Mike Stoops, Dabo), he'd still be here and be successful.

Riley could be successful, but he chose to surround himself with the mediocrity from Oregon State. If Riley can't see that and is unwilling to make changes to the staff to help this team succeed...then remove him at the end of the season, and bring someone in that is willing to bring in whomever it takes to succeed, and not just use the buddy system to fill vacancies.

I'm sorry I can't take this thread seriously. The OP compared us to Tennessee.

What's wrong with that? They're really probably the most like comparison for us. Sure there are a few different details, but in a general sense our story lines are eerily similar.

Agree. The comparison to Tennessee is rather apt--both teams had success in the 90s (DoNU significantly more, of course), both teams wanted their tenured coach that succeeded removed, both teams got their wish, and both teams have been languishing in mediocrity (or worse) ever since.

Except that the mistakes made in the previous games by the coaching staff keep coming up, so no, you really can't just move on to the next game, when lessons have yet to be learned from the previous failures. Maybe when the staff starts to exhibit that experience that was meant to be a benefit to the team, and the losses occur because of what the other team does, and not because our coaches gaffed the team to a loss yet again...we can start looking forward.

*THAT* is why people have such umbrage with the staff--as experienced as they supposedly are, they fail to learn their lessons and build/improve. Fans that were around for Callahan and Bo have already had enough of that s***, frankly, which is why there should be nil for latitude given to Riley.

Again--it would be one thing if the coaches demonstrated that they learned their lessons, improved on the field, and progressed as a team as the season went on. But here we are, regressing on offense, the same mismanagement and stubbornness that appeared in all games rearing its head, and a lack of understanding by the staff of this team and what it takes to be successful.

When I say move on I don't mean not try to correct mistakes from the previous game. I mean you can't sit and dwell on the loss. To think that coaches aren't trying to correct bad things that happened any of the games they played is stupid on your part.

But, they can't sit and dwell on the last game until the next Wednesday. They have to prepare for the next game. That is all they can do.

We have an excellent opportunity to beat a wounded Wisconsin team this weekend. Given the state of affairs for both programs with injuries etc.. it could be a sloppy one again. I will take a victory any way we can get it. It will be nice to get some revenge on them. GBR

First, Harvey the Wonder Chancellor is out come December, IIRC, which is the first step. And no, we can't can Riley right now...but we have yet to hear jack and s*** from the Nebraska leadership regarding what is quickly becoming a SNAFU. Fans need to know that DoNU brass finds these results unacceptable, and that action will be taken at the end of the season if necessary.

As for Riley...honestly, I'd give him another year if he jettisoned his OC and DC and brought in experienced, high-quality coordinators, instead of employing his buddies. This is what doomed Callahan, and I still maintain that had Callahan fired Cosgrove and got someone competent in as DC (e.g. Bo, Venerables, Mike Stoops, Dabo), he'd still be here and be successful.

Riley could be successful, but he chose to surround himself with the mediocrity from Oregon State. If Riley can't see that and is unwilling to make changes to the staff to help this team succeed...then remove him at the end of the season, and bring someone in that is willing to bring in whomever it takes to succeed, and not just use the buddy system to fill vacancies.

What's wrong with that? They're really probably the most like comparison for us. Sure there are a few different details, but in a general sense our story lines are eerily similar.

Agree. The comparison to Tennessee is rather apt--both teams had success in the 90s (DoNU significantly more, of course), both teams wanted their tenured coach that succeeded removed, both teams got their wish, and both teams have been languishing in mediocrity (or worse) ever since.

I know Harvey is retiring. This is the second time I have seen you write he needs to get rid of his coordinators and get experienced high quality coordinators. First of all they are very experienced coordinators, they have multiple years of doing their jobs at several locations. Most would also consider them high quality coordinators. They have had lots of success over their careers other wise they wouldn't have been employed for as many years as they have.

Now why don't you just say what you really mean, which is that you don't like the style of play that they have the players playing. You don't like the offense and you don't like the way they play defense.

I have been impressed with Langsdorf over the first 4 games of the season. He called a terrible game against Illinois, but the other 4 have looked good.

Banker is trying to install pass coverage that we don't have the shut down corners to play right now. The run defense has been good. The defense as a whole against Illinois played pretty well. They really only had two bad breakdowns in the game. Both led to touchdowns, but if before the game I told you Nebraska give up 14pts to Illinois you would have said we win the game.

Again if you don't like the style of play I get that. Say that then. These guys don't get to this level by being in combatant. It may work out it may not. Nothing is going to happen in the middle of the season though.

I was kidding.

The key is, as a fan base we are not helping the kids. They read this stuff. No big deal when a couple are harping on it, but when every post on the board is about something negative it has to affect them.

My seats at the stadium will be full, I will be setting in front of the big screen all day, watching Nebraska and every other game I can see. Looking forward to Saturday.

Go Big RED!!!!

If I was a player and saw fans were content with how the season is going so far, I'd be much more unnerved. We are a pass completion away from being 1-4 right now which is far closer to reality than us being undefeated. I'd be a fool not to expect some growing pains and regression this season due to new coaches/system, but we have lost to some teams that are not really that good at all. I really hope this staff pulls us out of this tailspin...

I really wonder if any have actually competed, been involved with a team sport. Some claim to be coaches, but have never moved up the ladder it appears.

I have settled for nothing. I am more competitive than any of you I would guess, and have been my whole life. You don't quit, and that is exactly what has happened. A few overly active posters have quit on this team.

One of the first things I learned in sports, you put things behind you, move on to the next game. Learn from your mistakes and make corrections if you can.

All of you keep saying we, our, my team. Act like it.