Last hope on the 15' season

BIG ERN

I think Michigan is just rolling right now...at home vs Northwestern. I see them not letting up more than 10 points. I don't think Michigan will lose more than 2 games all year.

You're probably right. But they did the same thing with Brady Hoke. And we all know how that ended. Let's see what Harbaugh is doing in season 4-5 before thinking he has Michigan back.

I think Michigan is just rolling right now...at home vs Northwestern. I see them not letting up more than 10 points. I don't think Michigan will lose more than 2 games all year.

You're probably right. But they did the same thing with Brady Hoke. And we all know how that ended. Let's see what Harbaugh is doing in season 4-5 before thinking he has Michigan back.

Oh yeah, but I am just talking about this year. I could see them going 11-2 this year like they did with Hoke. I think they are so freaking confident right now.

Oh yeah, but I am just talking about this year. I could see them going 11-2 this year like they did with Hoke. I think they are so freaking confident right now.

They should be. Their only loss was to the #7 team in the country.

Hoke might be a lot of things, but a poor recruiter isn't one of them. Once Harbaugh gets "his" QB, watch out. What Harbaugh is doing at Michigan is similar to what Meyer did at Florida. They both inherited teams with lots of talent that was used to losing under the previous coaching staff. It's also pretty similar to the OU job when Stoops was hired.

Based on a very basic formula, which spots the home team 3.5 points and essentially compares two teams on paper based on how their stats compare to national averages, here's what I'm led to believe as things stand today:

Wisconsin - loss

Minnesota - win

Northwestern - loss

Purdue - win

Michigan State - win

Rutgers - win

Iowa - loss

Now, this obviously differs from my (and any sane person's?) gut feeling, especially with respect to Michigan State. I don't like to bet on any team with a negative turnover margin either and, as we all know, Nebraska has been one of those for a long time. Michigan State's defense is surely better than their numbers would indicate so far, too (but their turnover margin stats are great). W-L records also don't factor in at all to what I'm doing...nor do recruiting rankings...and, even if I was an X's and O's guy, I wouldn't know how to quantify that. I didn't look at these games and consider matchups, in other words.

The simple breakdown of Nebraska on paper is that they have good offensive numbers across the board but poor defensive and turnover margin ones...outside some likely misleading ones in the rushing defense category. Conference play has only just started, of course, and the real picture is just coming into view. There have been some ****ups so far but our schedule isn't that bad.

I've calculated Michigan by six and that includes SOS and home field adjustments. Northwestern has poor offensive passing numbers and just average rushing ones. Michigan has average passing numbers but very good rushing ones. Both teams have excelled defensively but Michigan's numbers are better outside a tie for total defense, per my rough judgments in a spreadsheet. Northwestern has played the tougher schedule. p.s. - I know nobody asked and I probably wouldn't be wasting time here if my fooling around in Excel had made me rich. ;)

Nebraska is DEAD last against the pass (128/128)!! And Wisconsin has the national sack leader in Joe Schobert. Unless Wisconsin's coaches are idiots and run at us all game, they will win.

All they have to do is pass early and often, as our secondary clearly can't cover anyone worth a darn.

• Fire 1

After some thought if Nebraska could actually start resembling a good football team which again after some thought I think it's reasonably possible that they could. I think Nebraska has some talent but the question to me anyway seems to be can these coaches figure out how to use it? Also can Nebraska's defense improve?

My gut says....it's going to be a long season but if these coaches and players could become better defensively (the real question about this team imo) and find a rhythm and dare I say identity on offense I would like to see them in the championship game.

I've been hard on Riley but screw it. It is what it is. I just hope it doesn't get ugly.

Nebraska is DEAD last against the pass (128/128)!! And Wisconsin has the national sack leader in Joe Schobert. Unless Wisconsin's coaches are idiots and run at us all game, they will win.

All they have to do is pass early and often, as our secondary clearly can't cover anyone worth a darn.

Luckily their offense doesn't have anyone worth a darn.

There was improvement in the pass defense against Illinois. They threw and completed the same as the first 4 teams and the defense, until the 50 yard broken play, held them to 200 yards.

It's not great through 5 games but it was improved.

There was improvement in the pass defense against Illinois. They threw and completed the same as the first 4 teams and the defense, until the 50 yard broken play, held them to 200 yards.

Watching the game I would attribute that improved pass defense to the strong winds in the game, and the Illinois drops. As soon as the wind died down which was at the end of the game, Illinois was able to hit their passes with ease.

• Fire 1

Watching the game I would attribute that improved pass defense to the strong winds in the game, and the Illinois drops. As soon as the wind died down which was at the end of the game, Illinois was able to hit their passes with ease.

The wind dying down didn't seem to help our QB.

But of course there will always be factors.