That last drive...

Lansdorf obviously doesn't trust Tommie after last week's fiasco. The play calling was painful to watch.

I think you're correct.

Seems people are forgetting (based on whom you believe, I suppose) that Langsford did NOT call a pass play on 3rd down last week. That was Tommy trying to do much when the opponent had ZERO time-outs.

This week, because the opponent HAD a time-out, it made sense to try to get the first down on that fateful 3rd down. Its not like when UW goes on offense that one less time-out would result in the clock running against them for 40 seconds while on offense. If UW had ZERO time-outs, you absolutely, no questions asked run the ball in that situation because you can control that 40 second run-off.

I agree that the 1st and 2nd down calls were ultra-vanilla, and I also think Langsford didn't want the ball in Tommy's hands on a 3rd down hypothetically called run play.

We lost the last game because we passed it on the last drive and people bitched. So today they ran it three times on the last drive and people still bitched.

Holy cow if you seriously can't tell the difference between those situations, and understand our frustrations then I feel sorry for you. Illinois game was an easy situation, you hand it to the running back and kill the clock because they have no timeouts. In this game, three straight runs up the middle is basically asking our defense to stop Wisconsin. Which we have shown in 4 games now, our defense can not stop anyone especially at the end of the game. Honestly I would have been okay with us not passing especially since Tommy was struggling. But, to have Cross out there on two straight downs...you're basically telling Wisconsin, "We are running it up the middle.....aaaand we know you're going to stop it". We needed Ozigbo, Stevenson, or heck even Newby on those plays. Someone with speed who at least has the threat of running outside.

I was expecting a bootleg on the last drive.

Run or pass?

Nobody really knows.

A bootleg with a run/dump-pass option would have been perfect. Tommy was effective on the ground. If thrown the pass would be high-percentage. Wiscy had a timeout coming anyway, our D was on the ropes, and all Wiscy needed was 3. Just running up the gut and hoping for the best was dumb.

Who knows? Something like that might have actually worked. It would have gotten the ball in Tommy's hands to run. And he had a pretty good night running. But given the sh#tstorm this past week over that play there was no way Langsdorf was going to call it. He probly tore that page out of the playbook.

I could t watch the game. Someone care to fill me in on what stupid thing he did this time?

Another situation where he did the opposite of the correct strategy that any 13 year old playing Madden could tell you how to do. A little over a minute left on the clock and Wisconsin has all their timeouts, so you need a first down or you're giving them the ball back with over a minute left to get in FG range. Apparently, he remembered back to last week when 13 year old Madden players all over America let him know he should've called a simple play up the middle to run clock instead of the infamous bootleg pass option without pass option . So that's what he did 3 times in a row. Simple handoff up the middle. No misdirection, no sweeps, no reverse, No effort whatsoever to try and get the first down. Afterwards they said they were trying to get Wisconsin to use their timeouts. smh

We have the dumbest coaches in America.

• Fire 1

Run or pass?

Nobody really knows.

A bootleg with a run/dump-pass option would have been perfect. Tommy was effective on the ground. If thrown the pass would be high-percentage. Wiscy had a timeout coming anyway, our D was on the ropes, and all Wiscy needed was 3. Just running up the gut and hoping for the best was dumb.

Who knows? Something like that might have actually worked. It would have gotten the ball in Tommy's hands to run. And he had a pretty good night running. But given the sh#tstorm this past week over that play there was no way Langsdorf was going to call it. He probly tore that page out of the playbook.

Actually, that play wasn't in the playbook. The bootleg pass is in the playbook. The bootleg pass without pass option that they claimed they called is not in the plalybook.

Run or pass?

Nobody really knows.

Actually, that play wasn't in the playbook. The bootleg pass is in the playbook. The bootleg pass without pass option that they claimed they called is not in the plalybook.

So I take it you actually own a copy of the Husker playbook? I wonder how many other copies are floating around out there. No wonder we lost.

I could t watch the game. Someone care to fill me in on what stupid thing he did this time?

Another situation where he did the opposite of the correct strategy that any 13 year old playing Madden could tell you how to do. A little over a minute left on the clock and Wisconsin has all their timeouts, so you need a first down or you're giving them the ball back with over a minute left to get in FG range. Apparently, he remembered back to last week when 13 year old Madden players all over America let him know he should've called a simple play up the middle to run clock instead of the infamous bootleg pass option without pass option . So that's what he did 3 times in a row. Simple handoff up the middle. No misdirection, no sweeps, no reverse, No effort whatsoever to try and get the first down. Afterwards they said they were trying to get Wisconsin to use their timeouts. smh

We have the dumbest coaches in America.

Was is incompetence or was Langsahan giving us the middle finger?

Run or pass?

Nobody really knows.

So I take it you actually own a copy of the Husker playbook? I wonder how many other copies are floating around out there. No wonder we lost.

They said as much in the convoluted coach speak at the presser.

• Fire 1

We lost the last game because we passed it on the last drive and people bitched. So today they ran it three times on the last drive and people still bitched.

Holy cow if you seriously can't tell the difference between those situations, and understand our frustrations then I feel sorry for you. Illinois game was an easy situation, you hand it to the running back and kill the clock because they have no timeouts. In this game, three straight runs up the middle is basically asking our defense to stop Wisconsin. Which we have shown in 4 games now, our defense can not stop anyone especially at the end of the game. Honestly I would have been okay with us not passing especially since Tommy was struggling. But, to have Cross out there on two straight downs...you're basically telling Wisconsin, "We are running it up the middle.....aaaand we know you're going to stop it". We needed Ozigbo, Stevenson, or heck even Newby on those plays. Someone with speed who at least has the threat of running outside.

I didn't get to watch the second half, ok, so I didn't see what plays they ran. I just assumed they were trying to get the first, but apparently that was a mistake. I'm sorry.

For what it is worth, if an opposing coach or player saw a Husker playbook lying on the ground, I doubt that they would take the time or make the effort to even pick it up.

The Huskers called the right plays in the wrong week.

Well said! I have to say this is just the second time I have laughed in a week! Now I am wondering why - should I feel ashamed I laughed about the Huskers losing two weeks in a row ? I we had called the three runs last week that we ran last night, we likely win that game. Then, this week, we likely win because we come into this game with a little better mental state. Maybe - just maybe - we find a way to get another half dozen first downs during the course of last night's game and we win the game by a TD. Now I don't think the Huskers are a TD better than Wisconsin. I think Wisconsin actually played down to us and let us stay in the game when they could have and should have put us away earlier. They are at least two TDs better than we are frankly. Play them 10 times and we lose 8.

May as well just ran QB sneak 3 times in a row. No run creativity. None.

Yep. We basically conceded the punt.

We did realize we HAD to get a first down, right?

Badger fans still complain about Barry Alvarez going for a first down against Northwestern in 1996 instead of taking a knee. Dayne fumbled and the Nerds scored on two pass plays to win the game.

May as well just ran QB sneak 3 times in a row. No run creativity. None.

Yep. We basically conceded the punt.

We did realize we HAD to get a first down, right?

No. Sub500 made it clear in the postgame presser that he didn't even consider a pass on 3rd and 7. He wanted them to use their last timeout.

Yes. But they were two different situations. This time we needed to get 1 1st down so we wouldn't have to punt and could run out the clock. The other time we needed to run it once or twice to run out the clock and we even could have gone for it on 4th down to run out more time because we were on their side of the field. It's his job to know when to do which and he did the opposite thing.