Time to bench Tommy and start one of the underclassmen against Minnesota

as much as Tommie frustrates me with poor mechanics and poor decisions, he IS all we got......I have no doubt about that. Langs needs to put him in more high percentage passing schemes. short passes to the backs or slot or how about tossing it to DPE?......... :confucius

Which is exactly why benching him would be insane.

He could do a better job (needs to). His TD run was a smart football decision by not trying to make a play by forcing a pass into the end zone. I don't see him becoming consistent with his decision making and throws. This team has a fierce leader in Tommy, and I respect that a lot. What they really need from him is to mature into a QB that is calm under pressure, patient, knowing exactly what to do if option A, B, or C happens. It should be clockwork by now. I think he tends to get caught up in the moment on "trying to make a play" with his natural competitiveness by trying to make something out of nothing. Stop using the deep ball as the second option. Throw the ball away (or run for positive yardage) and live for another down (or series if there's time). You can't be successful every play. Things break down, coverage changes, receivers fail to get open on occasion, lineman miss blocks, blitzes are coming. When stuff happens, this team needs him to be a smart, calm quarterback. Instead of getting caught up in a chaotic moment by improvising with decisions and throws that tend to go badly more often than not.

• Fire 2

i think we need to bench "bombs away" tommy and start "running" tommy instead.

I guess they could, but then he'd be a lot closer to "sitting on the bench injured Tommy" and I don't think they're ready for that. They've been playing whack a mole as it is and probably feel they don't have practice time to wholesale change everything.

TA is not a good passer, but he can be a good college QB. He is big, strong, fearless and shifty. Beck did a better job of using TA than Langsdorf, but neither have maximized his potential. TF threw some bone headed interceptions, a couple in national championship games. TF's career completion percentage was 49.1%. His best year was 55.4% . The way TA is being used right now is insane.

• Fire 1

TA is not a good passer, but he can be a good college QB. He is big, strong, fearless and shifty. Beck did a better job of using TA than Langsdorf, but neither have maximized his potential. TF threw some bone headed interceptions, a couple in national championship games. TF's career completion percentage was 49.1%. His best year was 55.4% . The way TA is being used right now is insane.

What would you suggest...50/50 run pass? Personally I think this offense wastes our RB talent and that in turn makes it harder on the receivers who have been pretty good up to now. Are we too cautious about passing over the middle for fear of picks? Is Tommy just not good enough to hit the receiver with tight coverage? I'd like to see a real power running/clock control game, but it really isn't what this staff does. I can't imagine wanting Tommy to run all over and risk injury either.

If the coaching staff is going to pass on first and five, then we need to find a better passing quarterback.

Or, if the coaching staff wants to go to a bowl game this year with Armstrong starting, it better make use of his legs.

Neither Riley nor Armstrong is going to prosper under this new meld as it is presently playing out.

• Fire 2

What would you suggest...50/50 run pass? Personally I think this offense wastes our RB talent and that in turn makes it harder on the receivers who have been pretty good up to now. Are we too cautious about passing over the middle for fear of picks? Is Tommy just not good enough to hit the receiver with tight coverage? I'd like to see a real power running/clock control game, but it really isn't what this staff does. I can't imagine wanting Tommy to run all over and risk injury either.

Your plan sounds perfect to me. If TA gets hurt bring in Bush.

I've been saying this all season. If your going to pass for 300 yards a game. For gods sake recruit a an effing qb that throws the ball. If your going to run the ball recruit a runner. It's not rocket science

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/74656-qb-patrick-obrien-nebraska-commit/

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/75912-qb-tristan-gebbia/&do=findComment&comment=1603461

looks like they are recruiting some very good QBs

Actually, I hadn't even thought of that. He's like Tommy 2.0 and can run pretty good. If we can't pass or get open against good defenses, let's keep the passing to a safe minimum and get these stud RB's going. Don't think that will be the plan though. Obviously they're not thinking about Darlington and just gave him his Spring Game of glory.

Actually, I hadn't even thought of that. He's like Tommy 2.0 and can run pretty good. If we can't pass or get open against good defenses, let's keep the passing to a safe minimum and get these stud RB's going. Don't think that will be the plan though. Obviously they're not thinking about Darlington and just gave him his Spring Game of glory.

If Tommy was involved in the run game more, we would have more wins. This coaching staff doesn't seem interested in altering the offense (or defense for that matter) to players' strengths, even though they said they would before the season started. If this is the case, which through six games it seems like it is, I really hope they can recruit a passing QB for next season.