Riley Supporters Are Wrong

Redux

I get that he's telling the truth on a lot of stuff, but Bo had a habit of losing the games that mattered the most. Right when we were ready to take that next step, he'd lose and lose big! I don't like that he had to be fired, but I see why he was. Bo wasn't going to work in the long run and Mike Riley may not work either. So how do we fix that from here?

Riley is losing games he shouldn't.

We fix it by opening the pocket book. Hire a big time coach or big time DC or OC. For example Kirby Smart. Open the pocket book to a proven commodity. Not some .500 coach with no track record of being where we want to be.

Agree.

I love this one.

Mike Riley was a bad hire. I know this because you are Nebraska. I know you are Nebraska because you never stop talking about it. Nebraska wins. Nebraska is a blue blood. Nebraska belongs among the nation’s most prestigious programs. Nebraska is Ohio State, Alabama, Notre Dame and Michigan. That’s who you are. And you hired Mike Riley. And you sat back and let it happen.

We the fans deserve better than this dumpster fire. The state deserves better and most importantly, THE PLAYERS DESERVE BETTER!

Supporters tend to say, support means the players AND the staff. Why. Maybe the kids haven't bought into this program. You think Nate goes from potential first team B1G or AA safety and thinks this scheme is good? Or the stable of RB's who are no closer to knowing who is the man. Or TA who would have been a beast in TO's offense is now throwing about 40% and likes it. Give me a break. I support this team, will continue to buy merchandise, the B1G tv package etc.... will always cheer for and never against, a 1 point loss still hurts like a blow out. Been a fan for a long time. But I don't have to support this staff or think they need more time. This staff has been together for years and is now .498......

• Fire 2

I've read the article and there is one thing I can say with 100% certainty: Neither Pelini nor Riley are the right man to right this program.

Agree. We are like Riley on the final play. 0-3 on coaches. Cally, Bo and Riley...........

Not to beat a dead horse, but after the Bo firing, this board (very knowledgeable fans) never once mentioned Riley. I had to google the guy and was like damn, really? There were some great names thrown out and guys I know would have come here. So we miss on the first 3. Who cares. All of the "choices" were 5* coaches. Instead like Cally, we swung and missed and had no back up. Still have no idea, other than the anti-Bo, why we hired or even looked at Riley.

This seems like as good a thread as any to point out some improvements I've seen. Knowing how we feel about a strong running game, Riley started incorporating the fullback into an offense that really doesn't call for one. Good move....improvement.

The secondary that was ranked #4 in the nation at the start of the season went to dead last (of course there's a trade off when you seek to stop the run and we haven't seen any 408 yard rushing games against us).....this was of course followed by my usual caterwauling about playing tighter coverage and actually looking for and going for the ball. This Wisconsin game I thought we made significant improvement in both aspects, although I think we had some opportunities to take a chance and jump some of the short passes for a possible pick 6 or maybe giving up 20 the other way, that's the chance you have to take. Still, I think the defense overall was not terrible and I continue to be impressed with the effort our guys give. Improvement that I think will only get better.

Kicking game....FG and punting is not the disaster we started with. In this area I think the kickers just had a bad start and now they're doing what they do. Downed at the 1....keep that up.

Our beat up defensive line impressed me with their run stopping and QB pressure.... except on the last drive. These are BIG TEN O-lines they're going against now and except for the obvious strategy lapses, these guys put out a lot of effort. Not hard to see where a healthy line could improve significantly and could get pressure when it needs to so we can stop scratching our heads over the results of the prevent defense calls.

I can't believe people are acually disagreeing about the article, and trying to use the fact that Bo's name was brought up in one paragraph to discredit the entirety of the story. The Author was spot on.

I just know the checkbooks won't get opened up for awhile, and hope if things continue how they have been, that Riley shows us he cares about winning enough to atleast make a few changes to his coaching staff. One thing I really cannot stand anymore is buddy hires. Riley said he will hire people that know more about football than him, and it would be nice to see. Sadly for all we know that still may hold true even with Langsdorf,Banker, Stewart, Cav, and Hughes on this staff.

• Fire 3

Here's the way I see it. Riley had the opportunity to bring in better coaches. A better DC than Mark Banker. Didn't. A better OC than Langsdorf. Didn't. I'm sorry, but that right there is the difference between Nebraska being 2-4 and what could be 5-1 or 6-0. Bo was just as guilty of this during his tenure... but he only lost four games each year (Nebraska's already there half way through the season). That's why he made it 7 years. He won just enough, until it wasn't. Do I see Riley making it past year 2 or 3 if he can't scrape up at least 7 wins in a season? Hell no.... But everything is right in front of Riley. He can win at Nebraska, but he needs to get outside his comfort zone for once and get some coaches around him that know how to coach.. and more importantly, know how to win. He's surrounded by coaches that know how to lose. He fixes that, maybe.. just maybe.. he can be successful at Nebraska.

If Riley doesn't change his approach, he'll probably only last 3 years winning less than 7-8 each year. And that'll be his fault and his alone.

• Fire 4

Quite possibly the best article I've read on the subject. Ever.

The article is crap.

This is a good sign. You've advanced from Denial to Anger.

Your post is also crap. And I have not had one shred of anger all weekend from the game or from reading anything. This isn't life or death.

Here's the way I see it. Riley had the opportunity to bring in better coaches. A better DC than Mark Banker. Didn't. A better OC than Langsdorf. Didn't. I'm sorry, but that right there is the difference between Nebraska being 2-4 and what could be 5-1 or 6-0. Bo was just as guilty of this during his tenure... but he only lost four games each year (Nebraska's already there half way through the season). That's why he made it 7 years. He won just enough, until it wasn't. Do I see Riley making it past year 2 or 3 if he can't scrape up at least 7 wins in a season? Hell no.... But everything is right in front of Riley. He can win at Nebraska, but he needs to get outside his comfort zone for once and get some coaches around him that know how to coach.. and more importantly, know how to win. He's surrounded by coaches that know how to lose. He fixes that, maybe.. just maybe.. he can be successful at Nebraska.

If Riley doesn't change his approach, he'll probably only last 3 years winning less than 7-8 each year. And that'll be his fault and his alone.

Winning is contagious. So is losing. you continually go .500, you get used to that and that becomes your baseline expectations..... Just like Cally and Bo, poor assistants is setting him up for failure.

• Fire 3

I've read the article and there is one thing I can say with 100% certainty: Neither Pelini nor Riley are the right man to right this program.

Agree. We are like Riley on the final play. 0-3 on coaches. Cally, Bo and Riley...........

Not to beat a dead horse, but after the Bo firing, this board (very knowledgeable fans) never once mentioned Riley. I had to google the guy and was like damn, really? There were some great names thrown out and guys I know would have come here. So we miss on the first 3. Who cares. All of the "choices" were 5* coaches. Instead like Cally, we swung and missed and had no back up. Still have no idea, other than the anti-Bo, why we hired or even looked at Riley.

What really bothers me is how easy it would have been to get a good coach when Bo was fired. Now we will have two ex-coaches on alimony if we replace MR. Hiring MR was a very stupid decision.

• Fire 1

This is no longer one, two, three, four or five games. The 2015 college football season is half over. Nebraska is 2-4, with the only two wins coming over two bad teams.

Yeah. 6 games. 1/2 a season. That's all the chance we'll give?

I'm not happy about how things are going. I'm also not terribly surprised given Riley's past record. But we have 4 very close losses. We could be 6-0. Granted, poor coaching may be the reason we aren't 6-0 but rather 2-4. Maybe under Bo we'd be 6-0. More likely somewhere between 6-0 and 2-4. And maybe Bo would've slugged a ref or Eichorst, or told fans or reporters to F themselves.

• Fire 1