Rob Zatchka Thoughts On Riley and Langsdorf's Comfort Zone On Offense

ajt1970

Starting at 29:00

http://huskerdoctalk.podbean.com/e/2014-episode-12-if-rob-could-sit-down-with-mike-riley-and-danny-langsdorf/

I agree wholeheartedly with Rob's view on this. Riley and Langsdorf are simply uncomfortable running the ball, hence they have a hard time sticking with the run when a few plays aren't successful, and on the other hand, they would rather stay with throwing the ball, even when it is not being successful, due to passing the ball is what they are comfortable with, which for guys like me that love the running game, it's a shame and hopefully will change at some point once Riley sees he cannot go big-time and win without a solid rushing attack.

Although, as I mentioned in another post, in the Wisconsin name it does look like Riley's trying to get the running game going more than before, especially from what I have seen on desgned QB runs.....so maybe he's starting to get it and will continue furthering along his running game tactics.

• Fire 4

The most interesting part of the talk was the fact that he doesn't think our defensive secondary is overly talented. They are playing differently than BP had them playing, but he didn't think the talent was over the top great. He did feel the rush defense was good, not just that teams are passing because they think it sucks.

...it's a shame and hopefully will change at some point once Riley sees he cannot go big-time and win without a solid rushing attack.

Just so we're clear, the bold is not objectively true. It's a subjective statement that you made. It's not a fact.

well, Wisconsin and Minnesota and others ran all over us last season, i would guess the run game worked pretty damned good for them?

Riley and Langsdorf are simply uncomfortable running the ball, hence they have a hard time sticking with the run when a few plays aren't successful, and on the other hand, they would rather stay with throwing the ball, even when it is not being successful, due to passing the ball is what they are comfortable with,

It's like someone handing an angler a fishing lure to use in which they have no confidence. If forced into it, they would, but their heart wouldn't be in it:

"Yeah, I know Charlie caught his limit on those Senkos the last time out, and they sell the Bejeebers out of them at the Marina and it was in Field & Stream 'Hot Lures' article, but it just don't look right to me. It just doesn't! How can that thing work? I'm sticking with my Jitterbug."

Riley and Langsdorf are simply uncomfortable running the ball, hence they have a hard time sticking with the run when a few plays aren't successful, and on the other hand, they would rather stay with throwing the ball, even when it is not being successful, due to passing the ball is what they are comfortable with,

It's like someone handing an angler a fishing lure to use in which they have no confidence. If forced into it, they would, but their heart wouldn't be in it:

"Yeah, I know Charlie caught his limit on those Senkos the last time out, and they sell the Bejeebers out of them at the Marina and it was in Field & Stream 'Hot Lures' article, but it just don't look right to me. It just doesn't! How can that thing work? I'm sticking with my Jitterbug."

True if fisherman decided there were only two types of lures: soft plastics and everything else.

And then spent all afternoon charting that ratio. Because reasons.

Rob Zatechka is one of my favorite former players

His parents were asked by a reporter at a game if they were more proud of Zatechka's athletic ability or his brains (4.0 GPA Pre-Med) They said they were most proud that he was always good and decent to everybody around him, which was the important thing.

I wish I had a clip of that interview, because I don't do it justice describing it.

You know, it's great and all that all of these former Huskers that won National Championships and were part of a dynasty want to give us their opinion on whats wrong with the program.

But I think their view is too skewed to understand what programs go through nowadays.

I think I would like to hear from players that played under Solich during the 7-7 year or Callahan under the first 5-7 year to give us some perspective on just how f'ing crazy we as fans are and what it's like to hear day in and day out that your coach must be fired immediately. You as a player sucks. Your coaches and coordinators suck. And how they are doing everything wrong and we know what's best, etc, etc, etc.

I want to know how they handled adversity. Down times. Truly rabid fans that had it in for them at every turn. That questioned every play.

His parents were asked by a reporter at a game if they were more proud of Zatechka's athletic ability or his brains (4.0 GPA Pre-Med) They said they were most proud that he was always good and decent to everybody around him, which was the important thing.

I wish I had a clip of that interview, because I don't do it justice describing it.

I believe Sean Fischer finished with a 4.0 in pre-med and had a 39 on his MCAT (which is way more impressive than a 4.0 in pre-med). He was a tall kid that was hurt early on. Does anyone know where he ended up? I assume his studying to be a brain or heart surgeon now.

I believe Sean Fischer finished with a 4.0 in pre-med and had a 39 on his MCAT (which is way more impressive than a 4.0 in pre-med). He was a tall kid that was hurt early on. Does anyone know where he ended up? I assume his studying to be a brain or heart surgeon now.

Blake Lawrence.......???

Blake Lawrence.......???

Below is a link to a nice article on Blake Lawrence and his four concussions.. It is amazing how much these kids put their bodies through. I thought nothing of it when I was younger. I had a knee surgery, wrist surgery, thumb surgery, shoulder surgery. a broken leg and two broken arms, and I still loved to play. Luckily I never had a concussion, and none of my injuries have bothered me over the years.

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/sports/after-short-lived-football-career-former-husker-blake-lawrence-pushes/article_ee0ca009-61d4-537f-ad15-e92cdde4e416.html

True if fisherman decided there were only two types of lures: soft plastics and everything else And then spent all afternoon charting that ratio. Because reasons.

That's crazy talk that can only come from one kind of person: A dad gummed buzzbait slinger! :rolleyes:

Never underestimate the power of the human mind to talk its owner into or out of anything, regardless of the facts or past experiences! ;) ...

That's how pilots ignore their instruments and put the plane somewhere bad because up and down have been transposed and they can't reconcile it. Some instructors used to make their students tie a piece of string somewhere in the cockpit because they had better success getting a new pilot with spatial disorientation to believe which way it was hanging when they couldn't believe the instructor or the instruments...and sometimes even that didn't work.

senkos are way more versatile than the jitterbug!!!! Senkos can be rigged to fish the entire depth while jitterbugs are strictly top water. but imo chatterbaits is where its at! bass pike walleye ect ect.