Through these gates...

The fans are supposed to be happy with a 3-5 football team? The fans are supposed to throw blind support behind a coaching staff just because it's year 1 in the program?

NU fans know good football when they see it, and what we are watching is not good football. I'm not going to argue whether we have watched good football over the past 5-10-15 years, the past doesn't matter. All that matters now is that we have a very poorly coached team. It's led by a head coach who has been nothing but average over his entire coaching tenure, and his band of merry men who he brought over from Corvallis so they could enjoy a few years of nice paychecks before half of them retire and never coach again.

Well said. I agree 100%.

Well, I am very concerned that that 'through these gates" WON'T walk enough fans to fill that huge stadium and fill the coffers of the UNL Athletic Department sufficiently to continue the many sports and support the various programs and players that have been accustomed to having the very best of everything in order to compete at the highest levels. The 'greatest fans' in college football will remain very agitated and disturbed by the lack of success of the flagship football program.

These greatest fans will not simply sit idly by while the house that Bob Devaney built and Tom Osborne remodeled and expanded several times is allowed to waste away into something it was not supposed to be (a home for losers). Teams that fail to win are subject to continual change and alteration and eventually disintegration. It is the nature of the game and the way it is meant to be played. Every team and program must always strive to be the best; nothing short of it will suffice. Husker fans know this as do the fans of most every other team throughout meaningful sports around the world.

What makes Husker football fans the 'greatest' is their dedication and loyalty to 'their team' and the passion and determination to see the team compete with honor and desire to be settle for nothing less than the best, each and every time they take the field. We will cheer for them win or lose and come back for more, rightfully expecting more and never accepting in silence anything less.

I guess my point is lost in this crowd. Forget it. Sorry to bother you with my opinion.

Last thought, fire this coaching staff after one season or less, and you might want to really consider the message that sends through the coaching community. The next one better be the second coming of Christ...

Your point isn't lost, it's just that not many are agreeing with it. The reason for that may be that many of us realize this fanbase is really the same as most others. Sure we have the sellout streak and are extremely hospitable to visitors but those are the only two things that set us apart from other fanbases.

You probably need to learn the difference between a "front runner", "bandwagon" fan and fans who are hurting because their favorite team is performing below expectations and below their apparent abilities. Big difference there Mr. I'm a better fan because I embrace the suckage better. But I'm sure you don't have time for me way up there on your high horse. Some of us direct our displeasure at the guys that affect what happens on the field, while others direct it at other fans. Psst, here's a secret; The fans aren't the problem.

I still love my Huskers, period, end of story. But I'm not going to sit here and act like I'm happy with what I'm seeing on the field and from this coaching staff. What evidence do you have that this coaching staff will turn things around and get us going in the direction we were supposed to be going when Pelini got fired? You can't find any evidence, because overall they are/were a mediocre coaching staff at Oregon State. I'm not saying Pelini was the answer either because he wasn't. But don't say I'm a bad fan because I'm not spewing out rainbows and lollipops about the results this season.

• Fire 3

The OP would probably be better served checking out HuskerMax. There he'll find dozens of soft, old men who, golly, if the Huskers keep losing the next few years, might just be brought to a momentary point of frustration where they--gasp!--might even utter a discouraging word.

I am saddened by what I read in most of the threads here lately. We call ourselves the best fans in football all the time, yet the best fans wouldn't give up on their team. The best fans continue to support them, through good times and bad. Especially bad.

It is becoming clear that we are a front-running fanbase. No different and certainly no better than anyone else. Front-runners are not fans.

I will continue to support the Huskers because that is what a fan does. If you can't, I have no time for you.

If this is intended to be irony or trolling, then we planned. Otherwise, you are overlooking the numerous posts of yours that define your name and the state the Husker fanbase is in..."Frustrated".

Fans are still great.

However, through the tunnel taking the field are a group of coaches that haven't got the best out of their players, have bad game day execution, and bewildering management. Also taking the field is a soft team that shows signs of not giving their all in places and may have fractured loyalties.

Game day support hasn't wained (save the students this week).

And there SO MUCH to discuss and be upset about right now.

The OP would probably be better served checking out HuskerMax. There he'll find dozens of soft, old men who, golly, if the Huskers keep losing the next few years, might just be brought to a momentary point of frustration where they--gasp!--might even utter a discouraging word.

Agreed. I was banned for predicting an 9-4 finish and contradicting RR's recruiting predictions. That guy is an absolute joke. The AVERAGE prediction on that site for final regular season record this season was 11-1... that says it all. No negativity or criticism allowed!

When Riley ignored Orgeron and hired all his buddies, I said, "This has failure written all over it." I was, in turn, crucified; some people even used my quote as their sig line and couldn't wait to see Riley prove me wrong. I wonder what they're saying now.

• Fire 1

Here is footage of my son watching today's game. Guess this makes him a "bad fan"

01-angry-baby-gif.gif

Cute kid. Might want to shield him from the current gameday atmosphere unless you want his first words to be "RUN THA EFFFIN' BALL!!!". Look real close and you can see the words forming in his head.

"through these gates" walk fewer and fewer fans under this administration..... hey administration, this is absolutely bad for business if that's the only thing you will listen to.

its already easily more expensive than $2.7M a year salary plus buyout.

we are in the early years of a post National Championship Minnesota run . if it doesn't get fixed, we will repeat their legacy.

you get 1 more generation exposed to this crap, the rest of us who have been a round 50 year wont be here to support you. We still will, but only can for so long..We will look like Miami on game day...1/2 full, no interest, disconnected fan base. You don't think Minnesota once had a rabid fan base? that fan base has long passed...along with their money and your brand...

I am seeing signs of it compared to even 10 years ago.,

hell we are sent rookies to call our games...not even a mention in most sports pages other than gawking at the most recent stupid thing we did with fill in the blank seconds left in the 4th quarter. .

remember the day when us losing to a top 10 team was front page news?. now we don't even get much back page mention unless its something stupid ...

the patient is flat lining. bring in the paddle cart.

• Fire 1

I am saddened by what I read in most of the threads here lately. We call ourselves the best fans in football all the time, yet the best fans wouldn't give up on their team. The best fans continue to support them, through good times and bad. Especially bad.

It is becoming clear that we are a front-running fanbase. No different and certainly no better than anyone else. Front-runners are not fans.

There's a difference between support & confidence.

Support vs confidence for team &/or staff.

I'd wager 99% here support the team.

At 3-5, it's normal to lose confidence in a staff.

It's fine to be unconfident in a team's chances.

Regardless of confidence, you support the team.

Staffs come and go.

The team will always be here.

Support the kids is the bottomline.