Can you fire a coach after 1 year?

I too do not understand this 2-4 years argument.

With Riley being 62 and all his coaching experience it wasn't suppose to be a total rebuild....He was suppose to come in and take a 9 win program and start showing progress from it. Instead he has us on the fast track to a 9 loss season.

For being such a nice guy, I find it a bit rude he is just collecting his paycheck at this point.

Hmmmm.....who is it that put the idea out there that he is required to win 9 games of more in his first season?

Was that his bosses or the attitude that grew within the dan base in message boards?

While I get what some of you are saying...why would coaches be "afraid" of a contract that will pay them for 5 years and about 2-3 million a year no matter what?

These HC are ego maniacs and are always thinking of there 'legacy' they want to go a school that will support build a team and go on from there. Once you are fired you have a hard time getting a new gig at the top level, ask Bo.

I think with MR he took this job as a free pay check he was also on verge of being fired at home.

The only person that would entertain Nebraska right now is Scott Frost. If you fire Riley, Frost is the only answer right now.

I mentioned that if Arkansas fires Bieliema, he would be available. Charlie Strong might be available, but won't get near another redneck program with high expectations. Tom Herman will either go to USC or Texas. My guess is that Texas has already sent out smoke signals, and with his hot start at Houston, its a no brainer. He already has recruiting ties in state, and has shown he can win and score points.

Another thing is when its quiet, that means there are closed doors, and discussions. Believe me, these posts are being read or they wouldn't get deleted from time to time.

Beggers can't be choosers. Fire Riley and give Scott Frost 4 years to get Nebraska back to "Old Nebraska" or hire Bieliema and take a chance on a proven Big 10 winner that no one likes because he lit Nebraska up a few years ago. Choices are limited.

• Fire 2

The only person that would entertain Nebraska right now is Scott Frost. If you fire Riley, Frost is the only answer right now.

I mentioned that if Arkansas fires Bieliema, he would be available. Charlie Strong might be available, but won't get near another redneck program with high expectations. Tom Herman will either go to USC or Texas. My guess is that Texas has already sent out smoke signals, and with his hot start at Houston, its a no brainer. He already has recruiting ties in state, and has shown he can win and score points.

Another thing is when its quiet, that means there are closed doors, and discussions. Believe me, these posts are being read or they wouldn't get deleted from time to time.

Beggers can't be choosers. Fire Riley and give Scott Frost 4 years to get Nebraska back to "Old Nebraska" or hire Bieliema and take a chance on a proven Big 10 winner that no one likes because he lit Nebraska up a few years ago. Choices are limited.

That is 100% false. Bottom line is, if he weren't from Nebraska, his name wouldn't even be in the conversation right now. There are plenty of quality coaches out there.

• Fire 1

You guys do understand signing day is like 5 months away right?

Yeah, but I don't see a lot of top talents lining up to sign with a 4-8 football team with a coach potentially on the hot seat.

Then don't have him on the hot seat half way through his first year.

That's not what was said. At the end of the season, with whatever record we finish with, he's going to be on the hot seat, whether you like it or not.

This.

That is 100% false. Bottom line is, if he weren't from Nebraska, his name wouldn't even be in the conversation right now. There are plenty of quality coaches out there.

True too.

i would like to fire MR but i think for the long term sake you can't.. no coaches seem to want to come here! fire a guy after one year.. they really don't want to come here!!

the only way we can get away with firing MR after one year and get away with it is if we hire some scrub.... or back the truck up and sell our souls for the best of the best!

wait are we the raiders?!

we got the BC connection

Once again, totally untrue. Money talks. You offer $5-mil+ a year and there are plenty of coaches who will come here.

Yeah, but I don't see a lot of top talents lining up to sign with a 4-8 football team with a coach potentially on the hot seat.

That's not what was said. At the end of the season, with whatever record we finish with, he's going to be on the hot seat, whether you like it or not.

Doesn't have to be.

Not that I think he is necessarily, but if he is, he's put himself there.

June 30, 2016....mark that date down when Perlman finally retires. I'm not sure who his replacement will be, but one would hope he won't take long to get rid of Eichorst and start making the right moves.

Is a new chancellor's first priority really going to be to fire/hire a new AD and football coach? ​

No!

don't be so sure, their will be boosters and big money guys making appointments to see the new boss.......if not, there are many ways these guys can apply pressure, the last thing a new Chancellor wants is an uprising or an AD on the run and a phone that never stops ringing.

:facepalm:

Doesn't have to be.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. If he finishes 4-8 or 5-7 or whatever, it's inevitable. It's not up to you or me. He's the one who put himself there, and it's deserved.